Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

Let me start this with a quite popular poem familiar to most people working in IT and networking:

It is not DNS,
It is definitely not DNS,
It can’t be DNS,

It was DNS.

I moved in May this year. With that came the fun of configuring a modem (not an ISP shitbox) to work correctly.
That was done, except the SIP (VoiP for landline phones) related stuff. Did not really care and just decided to take care of configuring that when I find time.

It randomly worked! I thought it was SIP via TCP. And then I had to restart my modem, or do something requiring powering it down. And gone was phone service!

After after a few months of sporadic reachability, I figured out what it really was (see poem above).

1 Like

That’s me also in our customs here, bunch of shameless corrupted cunts.

I have 2 major pet peeves:

1. Habitual liers, particularly when it’s done to get them out of trouble and/or throw someone under the bus.
  2. When I’m working on something, when someone decides they need to come in behind me, particularly when I’ve temporarily directed my attention to another product briefly, and decides they are going to take over without saying anything.

My coworker did the second one. I’ve got several satilites set up to test on my bed to verify that they are working before being handed off to be installed. I go to check something on the tablet in the cab (cause it’s plugged in to charge), and they come over and starts fucking with the satilites set up to test. To me, this means they are no longer mine to test. Fine, I go to the installer to touch bases, come back, and there’s no changes with the satilites, and they are sitting in their driver seat taking a nap.

Ok, I get I’m on this thread quite a bit, but…
I hate when what I want doesn’t exist. Have I been happy with the Alpine head unit I bought? Yes… However, I’ve found myself exposed to rear view cameras and Android Auto since then… And God damn it, I kinda want it in my truck… The problem is, I also want a volume knob. I can give up the CDs, and I can work around the aux and USB ports on the back (as much as I’d rather not), but I’d really, REALLY rather not block the two vents right above it.

1 Like

I want a chinese DAC or amp that has active hipass filter. Also a power amp from china with real 100 watts of power.

Thanks santa.

Message delivered to Santa. Merry X-Mas from

1 Like

Reason being for 100 watts, cant hear dialog when streaming on the movie sites (HBOmax) with the smsl SA300 desk amp.

Watched the 2021 Mortal Combat yesterday and you are right.
The volume levels are pretty low… i have a volume limiter on the amp and i cranked it there. First time ever… never had to use limiter levels of amp volume. Still was not enough. Like 6db less noise than normal? On a Blu-Ray disc that would be way too loud.
I can fix the dialog “issue” other ways but the full audio scale should be louder by huge margin…and somehow it was not clean or clear. Something weird for sure.

1 Like

My setups are budget so in a music/movies space i need the wattage im thinking . going with horsepower will solve the problem in the home theater but in a 2.1 using wattage to increase total volume. suspect will be working the remote to keep from getting blown out the loud parts.

Netflix in my stream has improved loudness and atmos got better but honestly all my subcriptions are on the low side. Aside from apple music that varies from recordings which i want, less cooks in the music kitchen the better.

The problem might be the atmos engine has a -18 level limiter on the recording.

Or im a dummy, forget to take into account my HT is untreated at the moment.

I just discovered that I’m treble sensitive.

I’ve been listening to songs with a lot of WUBWUBs ever since I got my pair of 770s a few months ago. I thought I was getting listening fatigue from all the bass I was enjoying, so I put on some acoustical stuff and it felt like I had grown a third eye in my left temple and had a bright flashlight shone in all three eyes.

Pretty minor complaint and I’m glad I discovered it with something cheap, but I’d be lying if I said it wasn’t disappointing. Now I have to pay more attention to FR graphs and avoid Beyer products. At least I can temp fix it with a global EQ.

I’m interested what people think of this video:

My initial impression is that the Hifiman samples he plays don’t actually sound bad (on my Sennheiser headphones which he likes). I also think he’s got a major case of being an audio dick, the kind of person who gets off on shitting on things that other people like and talking about audio as if personal taste is objective and anyone who disagrees with him is a fool.

This is the first time I’ve heard these particular complaints about the sound of Hifiman headphones (though not the QC problems). I’m wondering if anyone else thinks “resonance” is a problem with these headphones?

(Note that I did ultimately prefer my Sennheiser 660S to the Hifiman Sundara, but I think that’s personal preference and not some evidence that people who like Hifiman headphones are “wrong”.)

1 Like

Fuckin Schiit on a stick, Schiit. My Jot2 was ready to ship but Schiiiiiiiit decided my CC was suspicious and their official @Schiit email wanting a paypal link went straight into my spam folder. Schiit. I think I know what went wrong but SCHIIT!

TL;DR: Ahhh Schiit

1 Like

That popped up in my recommended but didn’t click it. That title/thumbnail screams “I’m a low quality video and I promise to waste your time”. I’ll watch it now and share my opinion, for whatever that’s worth.

Thoughts after watching/disclaimer I’m bad at audio terms: To me, his Hifiman examples sound worse, like they’re more “artificial” or that I’m listening through phone speakers instead of OKish headphones.

Do I think there is anything to what he’s preaching? I dunno, probably not, but I don’t have the experience to call bull shit. He could be intentionally messing with the audio. Even if he’s being 100% honest, there are too many variables in between his examples and my ears, which is one of the reasons I think YT sound demos are worthless. I’d have to A/B a pair of Hifiman and Sennheiser headphones of a similar class to tell.

If/when my Jot2 show up I’ve been planning to pick up a pair of 6XXs or Sundaras to tip my toes in the open back pool. I might buy both, compare them, revisit the video and return the ones I don’t like. That said I’m probably going to buy the 6XX. I’m a cheap clumsy brute, the Sennheisers look more comfortable and I’ve heard better things about their build quality.

1 Like

I dunno, man. This sounds like sensationalistic antics to me. Sort of comes out of left field, too, as I have neither heard nor read any negative feedback on HiFiman products as of late. As for this whole resonances thing, I get the argument, but personally I don’t feel like that is what is happening with my particular Sundras. I feel like they are treating me very well.

1 Like

Too much handholding and no, I am not talking about that kind of handholding that you and your girlfriend do all the time to show admiration to one another. I am talking about the handholding where I am being handled too much by a so called caretaker, therefore it negates the purpose of me “learning” about the thing that I am tackling in.

I really appreciate that they sincerely wanted to help me and do well on learning how to drive my own car or something, but come on! When it’s so obvious that I have gotten the basics and fundamentals of the thing already, just let me go, no need to keep babying me like I am some kid that does not get it after a while and hell I am not getting any younger anymore therefore I am good with it already.

Getting a bit frustrated looking at the Burson lineup and trying to figure out what their lineup does and how it stacks in its own price/performance.

Why is everything named Composer 3 or Conductor 3 + some letter. What’s the difference between Reference and Performance, and is any of them better than the version with no P or R??

Feels like you need to go through their sales training to understand what their products are.
And then every product page starts with them praising how much they revolutionized some shit that doesn’t matter.

It doesn’t help that absolutely every one of their devices looks the same.

Whatever happened to names to tell you what a product is: Like HP Dac/Amp 1 and HP Dac/Amp 2, where 2 is newer, and if they have a better one, just name it HP Dac/Amp 1 Pro.

Stupid rant but it really adds up when you look at multiple companies and Burson was just the last straw.

Edit: here is another example, Benchmark, but at least they went through the effort of making a simple table on the product page to see the differences:

2 Likes

OK, what’s with the test advertisement, man? Is this gonna be a thing now?

1 Like

i swear those ads start in on some kinda bull ish i’m gonna shit talk everything they’re selling if it’s trash.

Bet its an ad for fleshlight or blue chew. The chip shortage over ?

I think it is a parody account.

1 Like