Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

Did you notice/hear a difference?

1 Like

I read aboutt issues with WASAPI all the time. what scenarios do you actually want to use it?

Event made everything sound like a garbled mess

If your DAC is USB then you probably need to install its drivers for WASAPI to work right. I had a similar problem until I installed the drivers for my topping d10. Now it works perfectly.

1 Like

WASAPI (Push) instead of (Event) works fine.

I even see the sample rate on my Topping E30’s display change whenever I change songs. Thanks

2 Likes

From what I read, “both deliver the same audio data and will sound the same. One may work better with specific hardware.”

"WASAPI output mode pushes data from Media Center to the sound device. It works with nearly all hardware.

WASAPI Event Style lets a sound device pull data from Media Center. This method is not supported by all hardware, but is recommended when supported."

If Push works for you then keep it there. :+1:

2 Likes

To get things back on track now…

I am so sick of my right ear. For some reason it seems to be a totally different shape than my left ear. My left ear is essentialy a normal round (as round as nature can be) tube, but my right ear seems to be an oblong opening and markedly more conical (gets smaller as you go in). This results in almost NO silicon ear tips being able to make a seal in my right ear. It also means that foam tips are pushed out over time (like 20 min or less). My left ear is totally fine. Most silicone seal and foams don’t pop out at all really. But my stupid right ear means that I’ve had to spend probably over $150 on tips to try and find ANYTHING that works.

So far the only silicon tips that I can get to seal are the misodiko S350 silicone and the S450D, But The S350 don’t sound good on the IEMs I like so they are out, and the S450D don’t always fit on the IEM right, so that’s a no go as well. Dekoni foams work pretty well. They stay in for a decent amount of time, but they also tend to get itchy. Another misodiko tip, the M430S and M550S (same thing just different bore diameter) are super comfy but they also fall out faster than the dekoni. The best so far for comfort are the Symbio F type but they still fall out after 20 min just like the M430S/M550S. This is one of the main reasons I’ve not gotten a higher end IEM than the Tin P1. I can’t be sure that I’ll ever actually be able to use it. It’s even more annoying since I really enjoy the sound of the Tin P1 but it’s such a struggle to ever use them.

2 Likes

White PCBs

They are just awful! Can’t follow any trace, everything is glaring in your face/lens and…
How am I supposed to figure out if a manufacturere has done their homework? Everyone in their shed can sort by most expensive on digikey, I need to see the traces!

1 Like

I want to talk about my frustration with Apple for a minute from both an audiophile perspective and a work related thing.
I understand that their goals have shifted away from artists like me and that they are instead acting as lifestyle items for people who like play artist with overpriced prosumer stuff but it still is deeply frustrating because OSX’s set up used to be so good for filmmakers and artists by the virtue of not having to think about quality, usability. It was just… there to provide no anxiety for people who need like a whole fuckin mess of equipment and software to make the moviemaking do the go. And over the years its shifted away from usability towards a high resolution surface of functionality that favors its internal creative ecosystems and to an extent adobe. And having to move to PC and the literal constant nonsense of plug ins and fiddly interface is a constant headache, and I’ve been using Windows at my worstation for 3 years all the way to the start of the “apocalypse work from home era”

The second problem is emblematic of Apple’s turn away from actual functionality and towards the appearance of it. If anyone has been using Apple long enough, they might remember the “Apple Cinema Display” their AIO monitor before they went to LG for their retina displays. It was a color calibrated 1440p monitor.

It has a built in DAC and speaker. And for 2011 its REALLY good. Detailed. (not great sound stage and imaging its inside a monitor but it does a decent enough job with mixed down and backfiring speakers) And frankly it worked and worked really well for what it was. And it worked great for me for years til I could afford to buy my Chord Hugo TT2.

One of the reason I didn’t upgrade over the years is I knew how shit the audio later monitors were. The BEATS ecosystem they were building. lower quality or non existence.

So I’m sitting here thinking, beyond buying a mac mini to keep some semblance of the ecosystem running for side features after I move to PC, I really don’t understand what the whole damn point of this company is anymore (I understand ‘to make money’ but lets be real, you can only exploit trend followers for so long its basically came out that their holdings, sales and market value over the last 10 years is heavily fudged and its on the verge of being a zombie company held afloat by his smart phone sales and some tablet. What they’re doing is not sustainable in the long run.)

Okay rant over.

3 Likes

A big corporation that has no concern for the long term results of its own actions. Sounds about right.

Purchased an SMSL SA300 from HiFi-express on May 23. Still have yet to receive it. Didn’t even reach the US until June 30. Now it’s slowly making its way to the east coast by bicycle I guess. Email correspondence has been just as frustrating. Will never go through them again. I wish Apos carried the SA300.

3 Likes

I feel this so much

2 Likes

at least a bicycle is faster than the donkeys Canada Post uses!

4 Likes

Oh god I feel this. My folks bought a lawn chair off wayfair in like april and it got delayed to end of September and they’re like fuck that give me my money back

1 Like

My internet’s been dead almost 3 hours.

1 Like

It came back like after five hours. Fuck Rogers

time to switch to bell?

…when you are ready to buy the item and the seller takes days to respond. :thinking:

Maybe when there’s LESS pandemic risk, yeah. Go 1.5 gb fibre

edit. LESS pandemic risk

i have no idea what products i’d like, what formats i would use (i feel like i’d use MQA a lot because lossless streaming at a cheaper price for a college student, but it aparently kinda sucks and DRM’d to shit), what i might want to spend my money on or what… i just want to spend it