Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

Anyone else ever have that one asshole you live with who insists they need ALL the room, and you’ve gotta park as close as physically possible to a broken down vehicle belonging to someone who doesn’t live there anymore, but no one seems to wanna do anything about it?

Sounds like its time to migrate to a DAP.

Probably for the best, for I mostly use my phone as like that but the phone I have has a shitty DAC, meaning it;s noit going to exactly blow my mind when it comes to fidelity even though I have IEMs and headphones that can, having a better source increases the chance of those being better though.

fuck college level calculus…

that is all

3 Likes

one of the things stopping me from buying a dap is that i have to carry 2 devices, if you don’t carry around your phone you cant listen to something you randomly wanna listen to, if you only carry a phone you’d need a dongle so you cant charge or Bluetooth which is still lossy. if there was a dap that could be used a Bluetooth dac when not on wifi but on wifi it defaults to finding it on tidal or spotify, i would kill for it. Hiby link is the closest thing we are getting to that and even then i dunno if it can work as a Bluetooth dac for youtube or netflix

1 Like

Those words don’t need an explanation for I had experienced it for myself as well when I was in college. The pain is real, that is all I can say.

1 Like

not sure if I fully understand, but the current hiby players both have wifi, and bluetooth. Can you not stream stored music over bluetooth with it? Yeah the available streaming apps are lacking. my R3 only has tidal, and the r2 has tidal, and quobuz. I dont have any bluetooth headphones. can you not stream tidal over wifi and then play to bluetooth headphones?

Any way if you need more streaming services you’ll need an android powered unit that either has them included or supports sideloading.

Yeah the core purpose of a DAP is to play content that you are in possession of or to act as a dac/amp for another device.

what i mean is that when im at home or a place with wifi ready i can just use it for all my music… but when not i can use it as a Bluetooth dac like the BTR5 when I’m away from home and say… watching a video on youtube

Right, I feel like you are stuck in a hard place then. As the only way to stream is to use wifi or use a device with cellular data. So while out and about away from wifi you are stuck with two devices if music streaming is what you want. I don’t have a lightning to usb-c cable to check if it can be done by wire. But I did check and you can stream content on the phone via cellular data then route the audio to the hiby over bluetooth.

thanks that’s what i needed to know… the hiby link feature is the other important part because in theory that just means you have to have the connection and access all music through the phone as a remote

this may be best to move to a dedicated discussion thread. As there are so many combinations of phone->Dac/Amp or DAP->headphones

1 Like

Sorry about that man, I took a ton of math in college, and always disliked the analytical stuff like calculus and differential equations. I enjoyed discrete, combinatorics, and graph theory way more.

Even as a former computer science instructor, I get your sentiment, and I had a crap semester of calc early on.

Yes, so much this, a BTR5 and some extra storage for the phone was my solution, but the DAC/Amp might be an Apple dongle depending on your power requirements and budget.

fuck the fact that phones are removing microSD expansion

i plan on getting a google pixel… but they removed the SD card slot which is fucking anger inducing… and its not like i can afford that sony phone

1 Like

I will never get the removal of headphone jacks and I will never even get the removal of MicroSD expansions, and that infuriation of yours is also felt by me. Like what is the god damned gain for these greedy assholes of removing such conveniences for every consumer? This is why lately I am not interested with new fucking phones that does not have those essential options.

What? I have to buy your shitty wireless earphones just to listen to my library of music? And it’s not helping me much when the BT transmitter that I bought is shit and not helping my case to go wireless, I prefer using an older phone with a headphone jack instead because fuck their headphone jackless and lacking of extra storage so called technological advancement bullshit excuse.

I would rather get a DAP at this point and keep using a shitty phone that still has the convenience that we need, until it dies. Not every new advanced modern phones have to be damned so called “modern” ffs!

3 Likes

I understand your frustration, and ultimately since most people go for the flagship companies like Samsung and Apple feel comfortable doing what they like. People will buy their most expensive models anyway. These days midrange phones are the ones to go for. Phones like the Samsung A52, Moto G Stylus, and Asus Zenfone 8 keep expandable memory and the headphone jack alive. Although if you still want flagship phone specs the Sony Xperia 1 mark III is your only option.

I tolerated their removal of the ability of the battery being swappable, but I just can’t anymore with their excuses with the headphone jack and SD storage expansion removal. Yeah I agree on getting a mid-range phone makes more sense than a flagship, for to me, having a flagship is like having a big red target on your back to be mugged and robbed by hooligans, especially when you’re in a place with a rowdy bunch and used to it.

Overall though I am just done with brands that remove those I have mentioned, and if the overall majority of phone companies does the same bullshit along with the ones who “pioneered” it, I might as well return to monke and use a goddamn Nokia 3310 with a DAP as my main music player.

1 Like

The DAC inside DAPs are going to sound better anyway. Since DAPs are also wi-fi capable any user can get by with a basic flip phone unless they love taking photos for Instagram.

1 Like

Yeah I can live with that phone, for I am the total opposite for I am not a photogenic person at all. Also I’d rather hide my face due to privacy rarely lacking nowadays for more people are much more gullible to give their information away online.

1 Like

On top of deep fakes being on the rise… Scary world we live in now.

1 Like

That specific desire for flagship is mostly the equivalent of ape brain wanting people to think you have the cool stuff… i probably will get a decent dap like hiby R3 which can use the phone as a remote and for Bluetooth, and then keep a mid priced phone that’s worth it (hence why wanting to get a pixel)… the issue with hp jack’s is I dunno if I would use it since it won’t sound as good as my lg

1 Like