Rant thread - share your grievances, not just audio

Think that’s a bit of a hypocritical take given we’re literally on an audio forum being upset/caring about equally pointless things in the grand scheme of things as well lol.

This is a fair point. There are people who seem to think that “what’s wrong with the country and the world” is like the fact they made Ariel black or something, but that’s not necessarily what’s happening here and I shouldn’t extrapolate. (And I definitely don’t want to pick on K4sh1ma now that they’ve apologized, which I honestly appreciate and respect.)

And if those more important things do impact me more, there’s likely not anything I could do to change that anyways lol

I actually grapple a lot with feelings of helplessness in the face of flails hands at everything. I give to charities and things, but I wish I had more time to organize and protest, and at the same time I’m not completely convinced those efforts amount to meaningful change. And so here I am lashing out my frustration on an audio forum, and that’s pretty silly. Still I don’t want to cynically resign myself to believing that change is impossible and there’s nothing I can do to make the world a better place.

2 Likes

Basically people pointing the finger in the wrong direction, but at the same time I can’t blame all of them because it’s hard to actually know where to point the finger, if you are even allowed to do so depending on your situation, and so on, but yes beyond the scope lol

Makes sense, change isn’t impossible, but if you want real change in situations like these, you have to force change, and that’s going to need a lot more than just protesting lol. Most of the time the costs outweigh the benefits though

1 Like

Mainstream media is reflecting western civilization’s decline because very rich oligarchs (men) are hoarding their money by ruining the economy with increasing wealth inequality, recessions, layoffs, wage slavery, union busting, regressive sexism against women from unethical sweatshops (which is why women are dealing with more poverty and homelessness than top 10 richest men), draconian censorship, etc. It’s harder to make high quality entertainment when very rich oligarchs are increasingly oppressing everyone else. Very rich oligarchs are now doing what caused the Roman empire to collapse. These very rich oligarchs use their imperialistic military-industrial complex to bully other countries into doing dirty biddings. That’s why these countries’ pluotcratic oligarchs are wasting money on Ukraine’s war instead of helping citizens with an energy crisis in Europe, America’s failing infrastructure, etc. They would rather have Hollywood sellouts do corporate virtue signalling about this situation in Ukraine than be genuinely compassionate about what happens to people like Julian Assange, Edward Snowden, John Kiriakou, Chelsea Manning, Prince Andrew’s female victim of sexual abuse, etc. Julian Assange proves that mainstream media is not owned by genuinely compassionate people. That’s why you’re not gonna get high quality entertainment from mainstream media owned by male oligarchs who don’t want a society of critical thinkers. “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power” is a heartless, corporate cash grab meant to keep the masses distracted while male oligarchs make our world burn from profitable wars. It was created by Amazon, a company that treats employees horribly. So, it insults J.R.R. Tolkien’s legacy. It’s why I only like the books J.R.R. Tolkien wrote. Not these Hollywoodized movies that appeal to corporate interests for training children into becoming indoctrinated soldiers controlled by male oligarchs rather than compassionate thinkers who make our world better.

2 Likes

Marvel is in bed with corporate overlords. It’s not a company for people who care about intellectual freedom. So, it doesn’t have that genuine nerd vibe. As a person who drew and wrote stories, I can tell you Marvel’s corporate overlords care about profit and making people look like hypersexualized prostitutes more than quality stories that make characters badass in an intellectual way. That’s why those villains are getting significantly dumber and more sexy rather than a good balance. When you have most people getting increasingly oppressed by very rich oligarchs causing civilization decline, it’s harder to get the best writers that can make badass stories.

1 Like

People trying to “force change” undemocratically is one of the problems we’re having right now, in fact…

So rings of power does suck and im not just imaging things ?

I didn’t bother watching it, but I think a lot of people didn’t like it. Taste is subjective of course, you don’t “imagine it sucking” either you like it or you don’t like it, and there’s no shame in either one. Though I can agree that it seems at least from the outside to be a shameless corporate cash grab, and like I heard the guys who made it have never made television before and just like met JJ Abrams at a party and convinced him to let them make television or something, which is mental.

1 Like

It was pretty ok, from a person who likes lotr movies and the books.
Better than just “meh” and not something i would call bad or terrible.

Most of the series available today… they kinda suck.
After watching just 1 or 2 episodes… they just are “meh” levels or entertainment.
There are actually good ones story and characters and editing + effects. They carry few seasons with no effort.

The thing i just cannot understand with any series (from actual history or fiction).
Why they want to ruin a original character… maybe its this “FORCED DIVERSITY,” but… It just sucks so bad. Just burn everyone involved… be the end of that.
I mean we actually have War Marshal and a important character in a war in history in early 1900.
And what did a local TV-studio do… they turned the character black…
You should not make a historical person like Patton or Martin L King change gender or race.
No no no no! You all bad and need to burn.
Still waiting Forced version of a famous German person (you know)… yea change that if you dare.

Like most sequels or prequels nowadays it’s mostly a cash grab without much substance :money_mouth_face:
Only good things I did watch was the boys and invincible but because I don’t have a tv my watch time is abyssal in the last 10years :laughing:

1 Like

I’m 3 episodes deep and it’s boring, like 9/10 boring, 3rd episode made my brain hurt. I’m not that into LoTR lore, it’s fine what ever. I’ve started GoT and Witcher and gotten into the lore later, because I really liked the shows. Rings of Power is not well written. I’ve heard that they don’t really have rights for the Second Age and as I understand the skip a lot of good shit that’s important. Like I understand when you want to do your own thing, but you have to make it up with good writing, which is non-existent in this show. Otherwise the world is beautiful, but that’s pretty much it, they should’ve spent a little bit of that CGI budget on writers. I will probably watch the season, but I’m not looking forward to it that much

1 Like

From everything I’ve heard… Yes.

Hey guys, regarding about the rant that I have made when it comes to the media. I just wanted to say that I am sorry and I have failed to send the message that I am trying to deliver in the most appropriate and decent way. It’s really uncalled for on what I just typed, therefore I am frustrated at myself for fucking up, for it’s really deserving of a flag for the stupid shit that I have just spewed, for the community here is one of the best and I am one of the ones who ruined the overall good vibes and I deserved to be clowned for it.

I just wanted movies, games and media to be like The Batman movie or something equivalent to that where we can cherish it and have fond memories to talk about. I am just frustrated because the show like She-Hulk exists, therefore the show ruins everything on what made Jennifer Walters an endearing character. It just sucks that things like that are being made half-assed kind of like the recent video game like the Saints Row reboot which I didn’t like.

Again, I am sorry for what I have said and if I do get banned for the stupid shit I have said about in regards to “What happened to making shows, movies, games and media with just making good characters and stories?” then so be it, for I take full accountability for what I have just said and shouldn’t be said by anyone.

3 Likes

Nobody saw it and will be forever wanting to know how epic the meltdown. Jeff spent 5b of our audio purchases on ROP. Its evident, too much score/CGI and nothing of ATMOS or story.

TBH i didnt like the other LOTRs . So stand by my statement ROP sucks.

I originally hide the post after reading it as it was flagged and I was busy at work and only had my phone, when I had time to visit the thread in real time @Eric_Rosenfield already replied to it respectfully so to make the thread make sense I unhide it. It was good you deleted it :pray: thank you and don’t worry no ones gonna ban you lol.

1 Like

I think it was the most watched TV show of all time or something, it had 25M views first episode and Jeffie spent a cool 1 billion dollars on it iirc.
dr-evil-one-million-dollars

But yeah, it was already criticized even before it was released. The least they could’ve done is work on the writing more, to flip the critics off so to speak. The characters are not compelling and the storylines are mostly boring.

It’s very difficult to do much of anything these days that doesn’t completely suck. I am retired now, but worked in an industry that, while commercial, involved doing creative work… in my case, art direction. Looking back, much that of the work I did seem dated now, and truly sucked scissors, but some of it’s held up. Now, I just make art for myself with no goal beyond exploring what interests me, which is far more rewarding.

The challenge of creating full-length movies and teevee shows that don’t completely suck is daunting, and I did have the chance to contribute a few things to that industry in my last ten years of working life (New Orleans has become sort of Hollywood South, so there’s lots of film work here now). I was impressed with the dedication and skill people possessed… people more immersed in that world than me (though there was no shortage of jerks, either). The work can be demanding and punishing (made worse by tight deadlines), and it’s hard to make much money when you’re just doing project work. Also, you never know whether what you’ve done will be any good until you see how it ends up being used… always much later (often years). Sometimes I was surprised when stuff I worked on turned out well, and other times it was truly hideous.

I say all this only to suggest that whatever their faults, I thought ‘House of the Dragon’ and ‘Rings of Power’ each had something going for them. At least both shows make an effort to be character-driven and compelling, without the computer graphics and special effects entirely drowning out the storytelling. These days, too many movies and teevee shows are no more than special-effects bonanzas, where story and characters are almost incidental. That really sucks!l

1 Like

As a person who edits videos, audio engineers, and photoshops while formerly directing films recreationally, “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power” has been half-baked. Not that I’m surprised considering professionalism declined in mainstream media when people desperately avoid their own poverty and homelessness from worldwide wealth inequality increasing by creating half-baked cash grabs like sellouts. Flash back to many decades ago when wealth inequality wasn’t so bad, Steven Spielberg, Stanley Kubrick, James Cameron, Francis Ford Coppola, Michael Curtiz, Clint Eastwood, and other directors were making iconic entertainment. Flash forward to now, mainstream media has become a mockery. It went from making mainstream media iconic in the past and mocked now. I can’t help but mock “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power”. Its scenes remind me of gamers playing laggy video games. I would have edited those scenes to make them flow much better. Also, there is a mockable attempt at making female characters better than male ones. Which makes me think of corporate virtue signalling about feminism. I don’t have a problem with badass female characters like Ripley from “Alien”, Mulan from Disney’s 1998 “Mulan” film, Alice from the 2002 “Resident Evil” film, and so forth. I have a problem when creators don’t focus on quality stories by making characters exist in a half-baked way. There’s a good reason why movies never got released until years after they were carefully created. Now, things are just getting released out so quickly. Which makes the quality suffer. This is what happens with “The Lord of the Rings: Rings of Power” regarding its episodes. I can tell writers from it are not given enough time. It’s just writers being cogs in a corporate cash grab machine of half-baked products. I would wait long for episodes because my experience with writing shows me that patience is definitely a virtue. But Amazon would rather be greedy than focus on quality.

2 Likes

getting my info from youtubers so correct me, the big A contracted to pay for 5 seasons of rings.

Put out your social commentary/propaganda under the guise of art, that sh×t better be entertaining. Dragon is watchable enough, with rings the foodfight surrounding the show is more interesting than the picture itself.

My wife, who is more familiar with Middle Earth stuff than I am, thinks there’s only enough of Tolkien’s ‘Silmarillion’ for two more 8-episode seasons worth of coherent story.

2 Likes

Thats another argument against rings of power, “im a book reader its not following canon”. On house of the dragon not much of that is being said by the youtubers, the kids seem to be onboard. What they dont like is HBO is not giving them enough episodes. Both sides the woke and anti-woke. Rings of power is a different tune.

I find the complaints about all of the new content on classic franchises weird.

I am happy to have a watchable version of The Silmarillion. That book was my insomnia treatment for the better part of a decade. If you were awake to complain about the show, then it was better than the book.

I never imagined a day when I have a new Star Wars show every 6 months, and a Lord of the Rings. The 9 year old that saw the OG Star Wars film 11 times during its first run, is just happy we are getting content, and it even looks and feels like Star Wars. The Mandolorian is Kung Fu set in the Star Wars, and I never knew how much I wanted that.

The Cyberpunk Edgerunners show was amazing. I never expected to see a show on that when I was playing the pen & paper game in 1988, and here we are getting high quality content for Cyberpunk, on top of an underrated video game.

2 Likes

This sentence alone made it worth reading this entire thread.

That is all.

3 Likes