Recommended IEM Cables

Exactly, higher end cables do not mean better, they only mean different. Just because it’s more expensive doesn’t mean it’s going to sound better to you, it’s just going to sound different

1 Like

So thinking about it, the best advise you can give to anyone concerning different cables and connections…

Try all the options that are available to you on your gear… Solid state amp, tube amp, balanced, single ended, cables, dac, tips, IEMs, headphones etc… and just use what appeals to you. Everything in your chain might make a difference. Maybe not. Judge for yourself.

Sound about right?

1 Like

Sounds about right, also have your priorities in order, the higher end cable is typically going to come as the last step, with the actual iems being the first, tips 2nd, and depending on the setup amp and dac 3rd or potentially grabbing a balanced cable if you have a balanced amp in this same step

4 Likes

A good silent or near black background source is imperative to my listening IEM experience…Take the cable out of this equation I fucking hate hiss…takes me back to Dolby B & C days :rofl:

2 Likes

I agree, it comes down to amp design. Usually by design, one output sounds better than the other. If a balanced output is present, it usually sounds better because the design focus was on it. There is nothing inherently better about balanced vs SE.

I think cables do make a difference, but really just for fine tuning. With all of these components, the match is key. For instance, a really low impedance silver cable may sound great on one IEM, but terrible on another, whereas that IEM sounds better with a high resistance copper cable. Same with matching with the DAC, and amp.

Sorry, I basically reiterated what was already said, I just happen to agree.

6 Likes

Isn’t the Andromeda known for hiss when not running on an optimal source? What do you use to drive it?

An iFi iDSD Micro it has 3 gain settings Eco, Normal and Turbo plus 2 IE match options High sensitivity and Ultra High…No hiss with low impedance IEM’s and enough :muscle: to drive 600ohm HP’s…@MON has the Black Label version I believe?

3 Likes

Correct, excellent for something really fun with iems without hiss or noise (and the bass boost can be real fun lol)

2 Likes

I hate silver cables, they all turn dark and filthy like old silverware. So I don’t care what sound they have, I don’t buy them anymore.

A well made and sealed Ag cable shouldn’t tarnish like the family silver, copper will tarnish just as easily tbh.

2 Likes

Well, if there is dirt or anything on it. Then the silver color will make it stick out more.

Probably not useful to many, but something I have noticed in the past few days is that I do not like any aftermarket cable I have tried on my mmr thummim, it does something that messes with the spatial recreation in a negative way most of the time or causes issues in the fr, the stock cable is actually the best match imo. The guy I got them from only used the aftermarket cables with them, and now I can see how he may have not liked them, honestly I kinda want to send them back to him so he can try it stock because it’s way better with the stock cable

1 Like

Agree even on a much lesser scale, I tried a few cable swops on the IT00’s…Campfire, Forza and FiiO and hand on heart I preferred the janky skinny mofo that came with them :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve had an iem where nothing responds well besides stock lol. Granted stock is a eletech plato so already a very nice cable, but seriously though I go my first impressions were pretty meh, and I go and change the cable out of curiosity (because I thought the one I had on there was broken) and then it just blew me away. And it ended up being the same for 3 other cables I tried with it. I’m not sure if it’s really as massive of a difference as I describe, but when I tried the stock cable something clicked that none of the others had, really don’t think I’ve had any other experience like this with the other iems I’ve had/have

Oooh - where did you get it from?
I’m using an EA Leonidis II on mine - but I’ve just had various new bits of bulk wire delivered which I’ll be using to fashion something more interesting.

I got it off a friend who sold them because he liked his 64 Tia forte more. But honestly I think that may have came down to synergy issues tbh. He was using (and also sold me) a x6 palladium hybrid which is a real nice cable on its own, but doesn’t seem to be a good match with the mmr. But gotta say this iem is crazy impressive, love how it recreates space and also how it’s extremely technical and capable, but isn’t shoving it down your throat either. Also no issues with est timbre or anything, sounds super natural with the right amp (and the fostex DD can slam)

I tried a ea Thor silver ii+ and personally also had the same issues I had with the plussound, idk what’s going on lol

1 Like

Ah great.
Yeah, it’s my favourite IEM at the moment - beating out my Erlkonig, Legend X and U18t. The soundstage is unreal, and it just makes every tune more fun than it’s ever been before. Phenomenal IEM, in my opinion. The Sonion electrets deliver such great air too. Love everything about them except the fit (but Joseph @ MMR included an acrylic custom tip for me, so I have no fit issues now).

My cables are varied, I’ll be building a hybrid, SPC, silver, palladium and copper so I’ll test them all on the Thummim and see if I get any weirdness. What’s your source out of interest, @M0N?

1 Like

Absolutely loving every second lol, soundstage/spatial recreation is a big one, I have other iems I like just as much spatially, but this one is super unique for sure

I thought the shell would be uncomfortable, but I’m glad I have no issues with it

Sounds sweet

It’s mainly been desktop amps, so far mostly it’s been these signal chains: totaldac d1 direct > dual mass kobo 394 ii or a lampizator golden gate ii > re / leaf e3 hybrid DC monoblocks. But for portables so far I’ve tried a lotoo paw gold and a Hugo 2

I am sure I missed it in here somewhere but, Looking for a good cable with a mic to use with my Fh3 Fiio IEMs… Recommendations would be awesome

I’ve tested a lot of cables but soundwise i prefer the ALO Audio and CEMA electro accousti cables.

At the moment i use the Reference 8 from ALO Audio and the MS-Series from CEMA. The ergonomics of the Reference 8 is just too bad to talk about :smiley: but the CEMA is an awesome cable for a very good price.

2 Likes