đź”· Ricardo's (aka Audio-Technica WS1100is)

This is the official thread for the Audio-Technica WS1100is. This thread is for discussion and reviews.

• Over Ear
  • No Amp needed
  • Closed Back

:red_circle: HifiGuides Amazon link

Reviews…

[Z Reviews]

[JDM_WAAAT]

No one got these or had them?
Considering for a new pair of portables. Really liked the MSR7 for the highs and clarity. Sold them, but considering getting a pair again, or these.

Any comments?

Compared to the msr7 these will have a bit larger soundstage, less treble heavy signature and not as detailed, with more low end presence. I personally prefer the msr7 but if you think that was too bright these are a good choice

Not to bright at all!
Will leave the Ricardos to be then, although improved soundstage is nice. But not at the cost of details.

I’ll do some more research of detailed, closed and portable (as in size, not ohms).

1More Triple Driver have nice treble clarity and detail with huge sub bass. They are on-ear though so if you don’t like that then I wouldn’t look into them.

I love the sound of the one more triple driver, to the point I would rate it as one of my favourites. Build quality is excellent for the price too. However it is neither on ear or over ear for my ears and I find it becomes uncomfortable very quickly. So if it fits well and is comfortable for others I would recommend it 100% but I would recommend trying the fit before buying. The ATH MSR7 is superb, slightly bright but extremely detailed and accurate and nicely made. I have a pair of the original MSR7 headphones and love them.

1 Like

I want to get these but am worried about isolation since they have the vents. Do they isolate as well as they should?

@voodoo
This video here that Zeos did shows how much it leaks to some degree. Skip to 13:50.

Yeah I saw the sound test. Not too worried about leakage (sound coming out), more worried about isolation (sound coming in).

Ah okay. Sorry about that. He might talk about it in the regular review.

I have to admit I am saddened by the lack of love shown for these. After the pad swap I don’t know of a single headphone in it’s price range that can compete if bass is as important as the other frequencies.

3 Likes

Why are they called Ricardo’s?

I think it’s because Zeos thought WS1100i was a stupid name so he gave them his own stupid name. I haven’t seen the video in a long time but I think that was the reason.

1 Like

It is a long id WS1100is lol reminds me of the MOOH-BE00BT

oh how does the pad swarp affect the bass?
In its stock form when I tried it it had less bass then the msr7 and wasn’t as nice imo.
That being said I do like the WS770bt not because of the bass but because of how clean and detailed it is for a bt headphone.

I have only heard the new balanced msr7 so I can’t really compare to the regular msr7. Compared to stock pads the bass gets a big increase in punch and body. With stock pads I always thought the bass was a bit “dry” or “lean” sounding. Good extension but no real authority. With those pleather pads the overall profile changes to a warmer more full bodied sound. Bass may actually be too much for some but it becomes very punchy and full bodied.

The mids get brought a bit forward more in line with the highs. It also warmed vocals up making them have more body. The only spot I think some may really find a flaw is in the highs. It brought them down to where I prefer but the people who liked the bite some of the treble had will be disappointed. What little hint of sibilance there was is completely gone and that sparkle that the highs have has been toned down to the point they sound just a touch above the mids.

For people that want to keep the highs but have the most ridiculous bass should get the micro suedes. They may even bump the highs while bumping bass through the roof.

1 Like

If you like them with the HM5 pads try the angled ones. They keep the monstrous bass but bring back details across the board. Also these fabric pads are a nice choice, they make the bass a little less boomy but more refined. I’m currently using them and they do make the highs a little much in some places but other than that I love them.

what would happen if you used zmf cowhides?

So first, I think these are crazy overlooked, way too v shaped for my taste but they do some amazing stuff with the bass and imaging.

But yeah anyway, has anyone tried the bluetooth version? (ws990bt I think) It’s on sale where I am but there’s absolutely no trustworthy reviews on it :frowning:

Which Dekoni you’re using...? Sheepskin for M50X? Does those earpads change the sound signature?