RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

I am the “many” you just mentioned. :slight_smile: The Clear MG is for me. Sooo happy with it when it comes to headphones.

1 Like

@Resolution :v:

3 Likes

Yes I’m aware, I followed your progression here and there in the forum. Like I said I think the MG is tuned more sophisticatedly as it’s got smoother treble and bass (also better extension) but personally it’s a bit too inoffensive for my taste. I also perceive it to have a slightly smaller stage and a more intimate presentation of sound for some reason. In the end I preferred the OG as it’s got a little bit more spice (which i understand might be a tad harsh or metallic for some). Having listened to the MG I can completely understand why you didn’t like it on BF2+Jot 2 or BF2+A90 (I’ve owned all these), as I didn’t even like it on BF2+RNHP which has really good synergy with OG Clear. My guess is the MG has a less analytical and transparent tuning (it’s still very neutral and transparent having said that) and can benefit from a dryer, more analytical source so no doubt you like it more on D90SE+A90. But personally my pick would be something like the Little Labs Monotor with maybe again BF2 (Since the A90 is in fact quite smooth to my ears and the BF2 will make it sound less transparent whereas the Monotor is even more analytical, despite measurements, I know) so this time the BF2 would pair better than with A90 or Jot 2.

2 Likes

Thanks!

The stage and light I know are going to help a lot. Especially with cleanup…

3 Likes

I have sensitive/wimpy ears.

4 Likes

As @Resolution pointed out, expensive DACs are probably the last thing you should purchase, DACs are already the least important gear in your entire chain and if you are already coming from a very good DAC, chances are you will regret the investment.

I would personally use that money to get different / better headphones, i mean, there is lots of room to improve over the Elex for example. If you are uncertain about a Clear there is all sorts of Audezes and Hifimans worth checking out, just my 2 cents.

3 Likes

Is this on Aliexpress? Can you provide the link to this product? Aliexpress doesn’t find this product here…

Once you get to that level of dac, they start getting equally as important as the amplifier, there’s lots of people in that sort of dac range that would confirm this too.

2 Likes

Sure i agree, no question a good quality DAC is important when you reach a certain level on your amp and headphones, but the question is if an upgrade from an already excellent $700 DAC is noticeable/worth it?
I would personally only think about upgrading a good DAC such as the Bifrost if i had already found ALL the headphones i want, and then settled on the perfect AMP.
EDIT: of course if you have the money to spare then no need to keep reasoning every aspect of the hobby, lol

2 Likes

From what I’ve heard from people that have done the jump, it’s a surprisingly large jump (I guess you’d hope so for the price :joy:).

I’m hoping to do something like that myself soon, although it’ll be to the p6 pro so wouldn’t be that tier of desktop dac

2 Likes

I just did exactly that. If you’re ever interested in why, I’d be happy to explain.

Yes i am interested, you got yourself a Topping D90, right? Those two cost roughly the same price though

On a different note, i got some new Kbear Rhyme cables for the Mangird Teas and for the first time i was shocked about how different the sound is comparing with the stock Mangird Tea cable!

I will finally be able to measure two cables which are producing different sound for the same IEM, i bet the impedance is super different between the two, lets see if that explains it.

Did you go from SE to balanced?

Nope, both SE. Or are you asking about @Resolution 's DAC upgrade? lol

Topping D90SE.

You cannot buy the D90 anymore because of the AKM chip factory fire. The D90SE is completely new architecture incorporating a sabre chip and just broke all measurable performance records.

The D90SE costs around $900.00.

It was aimed at you. Most people hear a difference because they go from SE to balanced, which will have an effect due to the amp most likely have a better balanced output than SE.

2 Likes

I’ve been completely balanced for years now.

I am testing both out of my Schiit Magni Heresy, it only has an SE output. Will get the multimeter after work and get the measurements, the sound difference is super noticeable though which is surprising to me.

Can you show us some pictures of your rig sometime? What are using for a dac, amp, dap?