RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Moondrop is a funny company to me. I love the Aria and Variation, and I liked the starfield. But they always let me down in little ways (universally awful cable experiences, odd accessory choices, etc.). But in the end their tuning makes up for all of it and if they make something else that interests me I’ll get it… while also ordering a replacement cable at the same time.

1 Like

Just wish mangird had a little bit more upper treble and it would be a dream and competing with tribids. Imo

1 Like

It is because it is a little extra relaxed it gets away with its treble being BA. Get it? If it were elevated more, it would sound more harsh and artificial. They are doing a masterfully good job tuning the IEM to the boundaries of what will sound OK within the limitations of the hardware available.

It really can’t compete with tribrid/EST treble. That’s my point.

1 Like

That is what Sony and Audiosense does with their BAs as well. A very good way of reducing the BA timbre. But it can be too smooth for some people preferring a more aggressive and energetic iem.

1 Like

Ya think?

Watch this video then.

I’m surprised they are getting anything done at all looking at their inner-workings. They’re all kids! Looks like a dream honestly.

3 Likes

Yes, guess you’re right, but a man can dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

Asian hax genes, makes people look a lot younger than they might be. :joy:

1 Like

Exactly. That’s the limitation. It’s a really good way of getting the most out of what you’ve got. I’m glad to see EST drivers come along though and actually be able to reproduce treble properly, or at least without the BA harshness/timbre.

I loved the “remember not to use the original cable” jab at the end. Also it was almost exactly what I expected or maybe slightly tamer then I expected. Just going off of the brand image they seem to portray.

It might have been return fire for the comments about tech enthusiasts and otakus having a lot of overlap that was made earlier.

2 Likes

Same here.
Stock DQ6 made me hate bright treble as a whole. Listening to them driving my car I almost threw them away out of pain, and shelved until I read about @Rikudou_Goku foam mod and then, magic, modded DQ6 made me love upper treble.

Have you ever tried some of their sister company’s products, CCA ? I own only CSN but I’ve read they usually tame those treble peaks. In case of CSN it is nicely done. What they can do for 20usd is nothing short of amazing IMO and I have read good things about other CCA products.

1 Like

I love the"Clapping hands sign" :p. Is that something that’s supposed to show an emoji in some social media platform?
Aside from that, DD + EST might be nice, don’t suppose it’s going to be a beryllium but that would sure be awesome.

CCA in the earlier days, where actually more balanced sounding than the V-shaped KZ. But it doesnt seem to be that way anymore.

Probably.

It is actually a magnetostat from what I know.

Initial FD3 Pro cable impressions. Honestly I like the design of their modular system. The weight is reasonable. The feel is not awful but leaves much to be desired. It feels kinda stiff (no where near FH3 cable stiff) and somewhat plasticy. It just feels less premium (Pro) then a miracle cable should.

3 Likes

Okay, initial thoughts… I am getting progressively more pissed off at Fiio the more I listen to the FD3. not because it is junk, but because it is good. Why in the heck did they decide to do all the shifty junk with the release of this IEM. This is seriously not a bad IEM. My initial impressions is that I guess I need to do some tip and I guess sound tube rolling on this IEM and seriously compare it.

Why Fiio why.

3 Likes

The classic entry level better than flagship. Must be to sell some units :slight_smile: still getting mele and hana, prolly

2 Likes

Yeah, no clue either. If only this came out before the FH5S…

I am still getting the Mele and probably quite a few other single DD IEMs. I am also not comparing it yet to anything else in my collection, now I think it deserves a few days of playing around to get it setup just how I like it before comparing it… but if this initial impression is close to how the FD5 sounds then I can understand why some really like that set.

@Rikudou_Goku
I am just at a loss for words on how dumb this is. They could have just released this IEM as an apology to the community for the poor reception to the FH5s and just said we made a really good IEM for the price this time.

2 Likes

Yeah, I have no words on how stupid their choices for this release is…

It’s not just the release that bothers me. Sometimes it works better than you think and that might have been the case… They clearly just want to compete in the sub 150$ market so they made a cheaper FD5.

What really bothers me it’s the shiling, own reviewing and lack of comunication. If they had this in mind, why ship out a piece of garbage like FH5s…

They keep disapointing

3 Likes