RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Hiss is caused by bad signal to noise ratio, interference and impedance shared between amp and whatever is playing the sound.

Pretty much your dongle dac probably has worse signal to noise than the 3.5mm output maybe due to bad internals or trying to push too much power which pushes bad noise as well.

2 Likes

That didn’t happen when I used the dongle with LBBS, no audible hiss whatsoever. It might be the cable’s the culprit, that’s what I bet on.

The signal to noise depends on the sensitivity of the driver. Earphones have larger, less sensitive drivers. On my desktop amp, my Blon 03s will have some hiss, my Yincrow X6s have none. Then headphones are dead silent.

If you get a IEM with BAs, you’ll notice more hiss even at lower volumes. The lower the sensitivity of the drivers, the higher the noise floor of the amp needs to be to overcome the signal to noise ratio.

Cables don’t make a difference in hiss unless they’re made from crusty green garbage cables. In fact, lower impedance cables would mean the hiss could be heard more clearly.

What’s needed is either a better dongle, use the 3.5mm output, or an attenuator like iFi IEMatch which works the level the impedance issues.

3 Likes

They are really bad I like better isolation also but the Iem is worth buying a quality cable for it in my opinion.

Same, I really need to try out some mods on it, this IEM needs some treble tamed.

This seem to work on 3DT so, u can try it on DQ6

3 Likes

Same here…

I agree it needs some treble reduction. What filter seemed better on it and since I am considering the 3dt as well. The spinfits Cp 100 helped some but it needs reduction. Thanks guys and on the foam mod I place the foam inside the ear tip? Thanks everyone!

Yes, ideally you put it at the bottom of the tip and insert it to the nozzle.

1 Like

Thanks thats what I hoped :smile:

@Rikudou_Goku Will you review the EDX Pro and the ZEX from KZ too? You got me interested in their products from DQ6, and I wonder how those two will perform compare to DQ6.

Nope to both.

I might wait a few gen before I go back to their MST lineup. And have zero interest in the EDX Pro since I got the DQ6.

2 Likes

Damn, well then I’m gonna wait for DQ6 Pro :sunglasses:

1 Like

I am VERY surprised that they havent done that already…its been a whole YEAR since the DQ6 got released…

2 Likes

They are probably trying out new configurations and driver types, combinations, from what I see their product lines.

Seems most likely…

I might pickup the EDX Pro since I didn’t mind the EDX, assuming it is about as cheap I might just grab it for the new look. But, I will most likely wait till I have an amazon cart that needs a little bit more for prime shipping before buying it.

2021-09-30:
See Audio Bravery: See Audio Bravery - Reviews | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
(demoted Aiderlot M5 from A to B)

The bravery is frankly overpriced, it is competing against stuff that is either better at it at a lower price (GD3A) or doesnt stand a change against the stuff at close to its price range (LZ A7, Tanchjim Oxygen, Sony XBA-N3 for example).

Hifiman Sundara (2020): HIFIMAN SUNDARA - Reviews | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org
(demoted:
1More H1707 from S+ to S-
JVC HA-MX100V from S to A+ (and review score from 5/5 to 4.5/5)
SIVGA Phoenix from S to A (and review score from 5/5 to 3.5/5)
Sony MDR-1AM2 from A- to B
Koss KPH30i from A- to B
Denon AH-D1100 from A- to B
AudioQuest NightHawk Carbon from B+ to B-
Sennheiser HD560S from B- to C
Blon B20 from E+ to F
)

Sundara, that sure took a while to finish the review but well worth the wait. It is my favorite headphone now and potentially my endgame for that section of this (never ending) hobby.

7 Likes

Thank you for the comparison with GD3A - what a slaughter :flushed:

So you’ve found endgame earbuds and now endgame headphones. You ought to dig the TWS hole, don’t you ? :wink:

2 Likes

Well…I DID order the FiiL T1 Lite on someones rec so…

2 Likes