RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

oh…yeah you should give it a try lol.

Although tbh, I never tried the old earbuds that came stock with the old dumbphones. :joy:

Definitely one day for sure. Any suggestions for a budget pair? Sub say $50? I’d like to give it a whirl. Why not.

The old apple pods were …. Pretty terrible from what I can remember :sweat_smile:

At that price range, you are in my own DIY buds territory. I suggest you try something much cheaper, like the vido earbuds or the faaeal iris 2.0 at first. Which are like…sub 10 usd. (bud value is crazy.)

Did you say … sub $10!? Well then … now you have my attention. I’ll work my way up to your buds soon enough :sunglasses:

2 Likes

yup, insane value.

Qian39 has a more unique shell but has god tier comfort. The iris 2.0 uses the standard MX500 that I also use for my buds.

or you can get this and gift the other 3 away lol.

2 Likes

I really can’t get my head around how these can be so cheap. So, I’m having a hard time understanding the appeal tbh I understand that for under $10 there’s no way these blow me away with sound, so is it the comfort that’s the appeal? I’ve also heard that because buds don’t seal, they can have a wider stage than IEMs, which is what I use primarily. Would that be accurate? Thank you so much for the suggestions by the way! You’re the man :call_me_hand:

Everything is literally dirt cheap on taobao and I suspect its even cheaper for manufacturers that buy in big batches.

But no, I actually do think that buds at that sub 10 usd price (at least the ones I mentioned) sound pretty damn good, comparable to something like the blon 03 in the iem world or the koss porta/ksc75/kph30i in the headphone world.

oh the stage in buds shits on iems pretty badly. They also shine with their timbre and mids/treble. The weak point of buds is the bass, specifically the sub-bass, where you can see it as an open back hp vs (iem) closed back hp.

1 Like

Well Jesus, man. I think you’ve pretty much sold me. I can understand the trade off in the bass department. I wouldn’t mind that too much. Hmmm I found the FAAEAL Iris on Amazon for a buck more … 2 days shipping … why the hell not.

2 Likes

think of it like buds = open back hp and iems = closed back hp.

That’s exactly how I’m preparing my self for the sound. Well then …. Looking forward to it! Thanks again, brother :call_me_hand:

1 Like

Speaking of buds it is important to know that unless.your anatomy blessed you, you might be fighting for keeping them in place. Saying that I think it is the fight worth taking - 40$ LBBS and 8$ Qian39 are still in my daily rotation having IEMs of a magnitude (or 2 magnitudes in terms of qians) higher cost.
I thought that silicone foams may be my last chance for good fit after trying a variety of standard foamy foams, but today I realized some kind of wings exists, and bought them from shoppee for 2$ as my last resort. This is too cheap business not to try :slight_smile:

3 Likes

yeah, its why I recommend the sub 10 usd range first, since MX500 shells are used a lot (including my own). So if they can fit the budget ones, they know they can fit all MX500 buds.

1 Like

I’m using those rubber wings and it’s a game changer for me. Now buds stay in place and i can truly appreciate the sound.

5 Likes

What’s the difference in sound betw iris vs qian39 and there’s iris 2.0 ? Been out of the earbuds game, the last earbud bought is the infamous vido (paired with donut foam, luv the bass quantity but the mid/treble is not exactly its strength)

Iris 2.0 is the best of the Iris models.

Iris 2.0 is warmer than the Qian39 with less mids. Treble is less airy and smoother.

Warmer is good especially for earbud. Open back need darker/warmer signature. How to differentiate iris 1 vs 2? Color? Or completely different look?

I think the cable is the main difference, the OG did not have copper, twisted one (there is a bad quality pic of OG in my quick summary somewhere in this topic). Now the problem is that there are also CE and transparent versions of them.

This is the 2.0

1 Like

DD + BA hybrid bud?

Too bad it didn’t fit the MX500 shell lol.
(Will order bigger shells, i ain’t giving up on this.)

But hey, at least a single BA fits. :joy:

8 Likes

I’ve an educational question :smiley:
how does Q factor work actually … as I understand from this graph, the bigger the Q , the more precise is it’s effect to the frequency target. but the effect of Q: 0.6 is weird to me. you just added 1db to 550 hz. why did it bumped all frequencies bellow 1k ?