RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

That kind of tuning is quite rare.

You could take a look at the Dunu SA6 and the Sony IER-M7.

1 Like

Thanks. Will do

1 Like

The TRN A31 in your spreadsheet is no longer being sold. Which other 3.5mm 2 pin cable do you recommend?

Also, I just bought the Radius Deep Mount thanks to your ranking!

hmm, thats a cable @paulwasabii added to the list.

It looks like they might have replace it with the T2S Pro.

Cable A3 is a classic rec.

I do have a T2S now. I should add it. It works better than the cable that came with Kirin which has a loose connection on one side and is not usable.

1 Like

Well, damn. I just made a bud that is beating most iems in sub-bass. :rofl:

Compared it with the EX800ST with blutack and simulated the bass with PEQ.

:fire:

9 Likes

Just got the LBBS… my first earbud (not counting the ones from 20 years ago that were bundled with mp3 players). First impression: Not so good… but also very unusual feeling, since I have only listened to IEMs the past years… and also I am not sure if I am doing something wrong.

Some dumb earbud beginner questions:

• Is there a recommended foam to use soundwise? The LBBS came with white and black foams, some with a hole in the middle, some covering the driver grill completely.
  • How do you put the foams on? The circle is tiny and the earbuds have very round and thick edges.
  • How do you wear/place/position the buds? If I just hang them so they fit effortlessly, the driver isn’t directed towards the holes in my ears, but instead it directs the sound more towards the wall of my head. That makes it sound very bright with no bass at all. If I angle them with my hands, so the sound is directed more towards the hole the sound improves a lot, but the buds don’t keep that angle if i let go.
  • Do you have a (semi-)seal when wearing the buds? If I slightly angle and press the buds they kind of seal and sound completely different, but no way they stay in like that just by themselves
4 Likes

I use the ones without the hole, full foams. The ones with holes are called donut foams.

You need to stretch the foam a bit before you put them on, its easier that way. (be careful so u dont tear them.)

I wear buds diagonally.

no, they are not supposed to give u a seal. They feel more like the Koss KSC75 or open-back hps.

6 Likes

Thanks for the reply. I was able to put on the foams. I will do some more experimenting, but first impression is, that I like the LBBS’s sound better without foams, but they do seem to help with comfort.

The trick with diagonally inserting them seems to help a lot sound and comfort wise. I was just able to get a glimpse of earbud magic.

I will do some listening the next days before I will form an opinion on wether buds are for me or not

the LBBS shell is pretty unconventional, so if it doesnt suit u, you should try the vido buds before u dismiss buds entirely.

3 Likes

I’ve had luck wearing earbuds with the cables over the ear, like an IEM, and gently pressing the buds down toward the ear canals. It eliminates some of the gravity stress.

This works especially well for the FX500-type buds (for me), but I’ll occasionally wear the LBBS this way, too.

3 Likes

I also suggest using full foams - sound is more rounded, warm and less metallic. I personally don’t feel much difference between donut and no foam and generally don’t like buds that way at all.
Fit and inconsistency of the sound due to that are the biggest problems of buds in my opinion especially compared to IEMs when once the seal is achieved you could expect same results with same tips every time. But if you ask me if you don’t need to run or excersise with them and use them sitting it is for enough. I worked go even further than Riku comparing it more to listening of near field monitors, than headphones as the performed sound is not constant and changes slightly while you move closer and further from the optimal focal position:)

2 Likes

Agree, the differences between naked and donut is minor and depends mostly on the fit.

2 Likes

For me with the LBBS the difference between no foam and donuts is pretty huge. It must be either because the holes on the backside of the case are blocked or because the foam just creates a better seal. Without foams the bass is pretty weak, but with foams I am surprised about the level of bass buds can create (even if it might not be bass head level, it’s much better than with open back over ear headphones).

Second impressions are definitely much more positive. Good Bass, good treble and air… pretty good resolution for 50$. There are things about the tuning I don’t like, but that pretty much just boils down to personal preference in the end. I can definitely see how earbuds are a viable alternative to IEMs. Will probably compare them to a couple of IEMs over the weekend and am curious to see how it stacks up against them.

4 Likes

mostly due to the vent block.

Although what I said above and what I assume @pylaczynski was referring to as well, are the MX500 shells.

1 Like

Give flatheads a lengthy try so your brain can adjust to what you are hearing, especially if you are used to IEMs. The LBBS also are more universally sized for smaller conchas so they may need some outer silicon rings covers to enlarge the diameter a tiny bit–to get a better concha lean over the ear canal–which has worked for me with the MX500 shell as well (YMMV).

With the LBBS, I recommend listening to female vocals (female poison). I just love buds during hot summer days as long as it is quiet enough.

2 Likes

Riku’s Berserker1’s arrived on Monday. I wanted a set of buds that improved on what I liked from Qian39s and the Berserker1 delivered beyond my expectations. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Turned out I had to wait until today until I get my Rikubuds, and other not as important stuff from my suitcase, back.

Attention. Cringe joke incoming.

Rikubuds sound level just got over 9000.

Download

16 Likes

when gen 2 comes out
Gohan Kamehameha GIFs | Tenor

8 Likes

I was just listening to some choir music with my Moondrop Chu, when I was wondering how it sounds with the LBBS and did a quick swap. First impression was: Wow, the LBBS is technicaly much better, but sadly the tuning is so much worse imho (I really like the Chu’s tuning btw). The LBBS has great low end and great top end, but voices just sound lackluster to my ears…

I then wondered: Does anyone actually measure earbuds (not sure that would be a feasible thing to do in the first place)? And are earbuds tuned flat or do they consider pinna gain like IEMs do?

I spent 1 min EQuing the LBBS and while it is obviously not a perfect result in that short of a time, I could improve the tuning in regards to my taste a lot with a single peak filter: +6db @6khz Q=0.7.

1 Like