RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

2023-09-06: Hidizs MP145

Disclaimer: Thanks to Hidizs for sending me a free unit (without needing a full review).
Disclaimer 2: This is NOT a collab with me, no matter how close the graph looks (lol).

I start with the boring and the worst parts of this iem first to get that out of the way. The build, SUCKS. Firstly, it is a not a very ergonomic shape and it has some pretty sharp corners as well (which thankfully does not come into contact with my ears during use but only when I’m taking out or putting them into my ears).

Secondly, the shell quite big for a single Planar driver.

Lastly, the venting is not implemented well as there is some slight pressure build up along with slight driver flex for me.

So overall, all those factors combined meant that it isn’t a comfortable iem for me to use and I felt sore after only a few minutes.

Now If I haven’t already scared you away, here are the comparisons:

MP145 (Low FR nozzle) Timeless (modded)
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass = =
Lower-mids + -
Upper-mids + -
Treble + -
Upper-treble = =
Soundstage = =
Imaging = =
Separation = =
Macro-detail = =
Micro-detail - +
Timbre + -

Overall, MP145 is just a solidly better iem over the (modded) Timeless. With pretty much the same level of technicalities but with much improved tonality that is very DD-like and with a much more natural timbre. Although if you prefer a thinner note-weight and more Planar-like tonality and timbre, then the Timeless is more fitting.

MP145 (Low FR nozzle) EA500 (red nozzle)
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids + -
Upper-mids - +
Treble + -
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging = =
Separation + -
Macro-detail + -
Micro-detail + -
Timbre = =

MP145 is beating the EA500 in pretty much everything. EA500 will be more fitting for people wanting less bass, thinner note-weight and more upper-mids though.

MP145 (Low FR nozzle) Orchestra Lite
Sub-bass + -
Mid-bass + -
Lower-mids + -
Upper-mids = =
Treble + -
Upper-treble - +
Soundstage - +
Imaging - +
Separation = =
Macro-detail = =
Micro-detail - +
Timbre + -

DD-like Planar vs DD-like BA, results in the DD-like Planar (MP145) being the closer sounding to a DD. MP145 is better than the Orc Lite in tonality and timbre, while losing only when it comes to the stage size and quality (imaging). Orc Lite does have much less bass, less warmth and thinner note-weight though so it is less of a rival and more of a complement.

MP145 (Low FR nozzle) MDR-EX800st (modded + PEQ)
Sub-bass - +
Mid-bass - +
Lower-mids + -
Upper-mids + -
Treble + -
Upper-treble + -
Soundstage - +
Imaging = =
Separation + -
Macro-detail + -
Micro-detail + -
Timbre - +

PEQ Preset for the EX800st (modded):
Preamp: -10db
Low-shelf: 25hz, Q:0.6, gain: 4db
Low-shelf: 50hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 5.5db
Low-shelf: 100hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 6db
Peak: 2000hz, Q: 2, gain: -2db
Peak: 3987hz, Q: 2.53, gain: 6.1db
Peak: 5595hz, Q: 4.28, gain: -9.4db
Peak: 6117hz, Q: 1,14, gain: 1.5db
Peak: 8000hz, Q: 5, gain: -2db
High-shelf: 10 000hz, Q: 0.7, gain: 4.5db

My favorite iem (EX800st) got beaten pretty hard honestly, although I still do believe the EX800st is still the uncontested bass and stage king amongst iems along with some very impressive timbre (very realistic playback), its other aspects got butchered pretty badly by the MP145. So, unless you want an iem that does those 2 factors extremely well (a one trick pony), the MP145 is going to be the better choice.

Conclusion: If you want a DD-like (tonality & timbre) Planar (technicalities and driver) tuned almost 1:1 to what I would personally do if I had a Planar collab, then this is it. However, do be aware of the shell (size/shape) I mentioned earlier. Welcome to the S+ rank club.

Here is the link they asked me to include (not an affiliate link): https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hidizs/hidizs-next-gen-ultra-large-planar-hifi-iems-9-sound-types?ref=beql6b

12 Likes

Just ordered a set of ex800st

What type of tape do you use and do you have a picture of the blutack mod?

And out of curiosity does anyone have an EQ preset that they use for it rather than physically modding it?

You can use any tape that is not breathable. Electric tape for example works well since the adhesive is also very strong.
Blutack is just putting a little bit of tack on the vent.

Ah, I’m blind. Do you happen to have a preset for when it’s not modded?

The mod is only me removing the tuning foam inside it and putting a non-dampening filter on it for dust protection.

Like that.

1 Like

Gotcha, thanks for clearing that up for me

1 Like

(Saber 3)

12 Likes

What would the price be of the saber 3? The two tone colour for different sides looks really nice!!!

100 euro. If you are in the us, shipping is 11 euro.

1 Like

missed opportunity to do one side all red and one side all clear after the split!

maybe lol. I am testing out a custom cable (custom wire and hardware) dedicated for gen 3 atm though.

2 Likes

Some appreciation post, I did not foam roll much when my Grand Berserker 2 came and went right straight to the red foam cause I like the look. I didn’t realise this red foam is actually thick and making the vocals muffled and I found them perfect for my lofi playlist. Changed it to a thinner foam, boom! vocals are much present but still a little recessed but not too much and still find them satisfying with tracks that has vocals. Finding them super nice with my hiphop playlist :notes:

The red foam is the perfect fit for my ear.

5 Likes

Got a sweet little treat in the mail yesterday (but I didn’t notice until today because I’ve been sick and only scooped the mail this morning):

Rikubuds Saber 3

I have to tip my hat once again to @Rikudou_Goku , you just keep getting better with every generation! I swapped from the white foams to the black lower-density foams to pull a little more upper mids and treble to the forefront, but boy howdy, this may be your best one yet! The Gen 3 fit and comfort is the best I have ever experienced from a bud (including bell-shaped) and the timbre is super-natural while allowing the whole spectrum to shine; the subbass won’t blow anyone’s mind, but it does dig deeper than I expected. Midbass is pleasantly punchy but tight, while male vocals and female vocals are well represented with no lack or overbearing qualities IMO. The treble is even and sparkles abound for such a balanced set. Staging and imaging are superior as well. If someone wanted to get into buds and wasn’t sure what particular sound they were looking for, I think these would be my new default recommendation. Just wonderful!

Additional sidenote, the new cables are great, too: a bit stiff to the touch but they have no memory and lay flat, with almost no weight to it.

11 Likes

goku-jumping-goku

Just the beginning of gen 3. :wink:

7 Likes

was hoping I’d get my Saber 3 this week for some weekend use but seems like it’ll be next week sometime

3 Likes

That’s unfortunate, but I assure you that they’re worth the wait!

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku wondering what’s the difference between GB2 and Saber 3? I see both are L shaped tuning. Is it GB2 having a slow bass while Saber 3 snappier and that vocals are forward on Saber3? Not sure how the Z5 treble sounds like but GB2 sounds dark.

GB2 is an extreme basshead bud. Saber 3 is not nearly as bassy as it is and will be more versatile.

1 Like

Can confirm what @Rikudou_Goku said; GB2 is DARK and bass-forward, where Saber 3 is much more balanced. Based on what I have, I would say that the Saber 3 is closer to the Serratus or Grand Alter Saber 2, just with a little more emphasis on bass (Saber 3) compared to the mids (GAS2, Serratus).
Mind you, that’s just from some quick cursory listening; I would need true A/B at length to nitpick the absolutes. Also, that’s with everything having low-density foams other than the GB2 (which I run with ‘donut’ foams to cut some of the bass).

3 Likes

I was just about to ask “How does the Serratus compare to S3 or are they apples and oranges?” Thanks!