RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

Now that’s what I like to see! I was about to come ask you if you had been able to spend more time with the Zen yet. Glad to see things are going well!

1 Like

Is this comment specifically in regard to soundstage?

I experienced the same thing when I first got my FH3, It was just a matter of running bass tests while adjusting insertion to find the equilibrium. I think one of my ears is slightly bigger than the other so needs a different angle/depth to achieve bass balance.

Are you going to try Oracle/excalibur?

Nope, the size is too big and its also quite expensive.

I am focusing on earbuds right now in terms of what I will personally buy.

Am I doing this right? Currently EQ-ing the FD5. I think I increased the low and midrange while I reduce to upper midrange and treble? Was reading how to read frequency graphs from crinacle’s website. It sounded ok so far the past 30 mins? Not sure it’s better but the sound is not distorted. Sibilance reduced a lil and the treble is more tamed.

Thats not a PEQ unfortunately.

But If you want to reduce the treble.

Then I would try to reduce the 2,5khz, 5,3khz, 8khz and the upper-treble from 10khz+.

1 Like

Okay thanks. I’ll give it a shot. I’ve never EQ before so this is my first foray into it.

Mainly timbre. The Zen was very cohesive and filled out the space better than the other IEMs. The Zen also had the most impressive dynamics and slam but I was expecting that.

What I wasn’t expecting was the timbre improvement over the Fiio Beryllium DDs. I don’t even know what the Zen DD is made of but it sounds very good to my ears.

Dunu Zen (bass texture) + Sony EX1000 ( bass speed/tightness (in stock)) + LZ A7 (bass quantity + mids + treble) + Dunu EST112 (upper-treble) = endgame

3 Likes

2021-05-07: Fiio FH5S review is up: FiiO FH5s - Reviews | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

“Third time´s not the charm”, pretty much sums up my experience with this iem. After 2 giant success, the FH3 and the FD5 in their respective price ranges, the FH5S is a bit of a let down compared to them.

5 Likes

install this app,
tone generator,
I have a slight hearing imbalance,
around 1-2db,

you could try a different eartips for each ear,
I have a size ML on my left and L on the right,

2 Likes

200_s

I guess the size would be a sacrifice in comfort

It most likely wont even fit me so not much comfort to speak of lol.

So I just realized my A55 was using the mr. Walkman firmware mod in plus mode where it makes my source more detailed and I switched on some other Sony sound stuff in there with the vinyl processor and DC phase linearizer.

I switched back to it’s classic mode, switched off all the sony stuff and now the FD5’s sibilance is much more bearable and the treble is just wonderful with no peak now.

2 Likes

@Rikudou_Goku Is right. The Monarch/Clair/Oracle/Excalibur shells are very large. I am a 6’ tall man and they like to slowly ease their way out of my left ear, but the sound is worth it.

The Monarch is my favorite IEM. My only gripe is the shell size.

1 Like

Good review! I don’t like the outcome, but the review is very good and detailed. Once again I am a step closer to ordering the FD5. If it wasn’t for the V-shape (or U-shape?) I would be all over it. That’s why I was having my hopes up for the FH5s, I was hoping it would be like the FD5 but with more mids and possibly a touch warmer.
Thanks!

Then it doesnt sound like they are for you.

Take a look at the LZ A7 then.

1 Like

@Rikudou_Goku have you ever tried impedance adapter? Just saw Crinacle’s blog and seems like it can elevate the low end region of a hybrid or tribrid IEM.

I have one that I wanted to use with my LG G7 (to trick it into high-impedance mode).

But havent really used it much at all.

1 Like