RikudouGoku's Database (IEMs/Earbuds/Headphones Ranking list)

nope, its just a waste for me and it will sit somewhere unused.

Hello could you please take a picture with FD5 & FH3 with the same eartips,
which one is stick out more?
thank you,

1 Like

Thank you,

no problem.

Now that 2020 is finally over (please let 2021 be better), here is my audio gear of the year.

Rules:

• Not limited to 2020 products
  • Products with known QC problems are disqualified (for example, no Urbanfun ISS014 (driver uncertainty/mmcx failure) or LZ A6 (moisture issue))
  • Nr 1 is the winner and nr 2 is the runner up.
  • Exotic driver are the iems that include a driver other than DD/BA.
  • No EQ or other modifications allowed except tips (which is more a fit factor) and cables (for balanced output from my DX160).

IEMS:

Single driver count/type:

1. Fiio FD5
  2. Tanchjim Oxygen

Hybrid/multi-driver:

1. Sony XBA-N3
  2. Fiio FH3

Exotic driver:

1. LZ A7
  2. Intime Sora 2

Earbuds:

1. Yincrow X6
  2. Toneking Dendroaspis Viridis

Headphones:

1. JVC HA-MX100V
  2. Sony MDR-1AM2

2021 : I hope to see more budget friendly EST iems coming in 2021. 2020 was the year when we got more EST choices from the Tri Starlight to the Penon Volt, but most of them were in the same (super expensive) price range. So, I hope we get cheaper EST iems (Sonion EST) so that more people can try them. But I mostly want chi-fi to improve with QC, because having an iffy QC even for the 100-300 usd range is not OK with me. I am also looking to give BA only iems another chance (or 2…), since it seems we are getting closer to the point where, BA´s sounds like a DD in both bass texture and timbre.

hope you guys had a good Christmas and a happy new year.

6 Likes

Which would pair better with the hip-dac? FD5 or A7?
Really can’t find a way to decide between these, but maybe the fact that Im buying the hip-dac (or btr 5) and that the FD5 comes with a balanced cable will help.

EDIT: Buying a new cable will be at least twice the normal cost because of shipping, and the best site for me to order from doesnt sell very good cables for cheap. It does sell both the FD5 and the A7 though.

The cable on the FD5 is very good, so if you get that one. At least you wont need to buy another cable.

No idea on the hip dac as I dont have it.

Ask yourself this though.
Do you want a more versatile iem? Then go for the A7.
Do you prioritize sq and naturalness? Then go for the FD5.

Are cables like the Faaeal litz copper, Tri Through and the Kbear Rhyme unavailable for you? (they are on aliexpress for around 15-20 usd.)

1 Like

!00% The stock cable on the FD5 with all 3 interchangeable balanced and se connections is the best stock cable I’ve owned. Some feel the interchangeable connectors could be more elegant, or more easily swappable, but I find it perfect. I don’t have to change them much if at all, but the option is there if needed. And it’s stock!

1 Like

Indeed. I have no complaints about how the modular plugs looks, but I do agree they could be easier swapped (but again…not really a problem since you most likely only change once or twice lol).

They also measure extremely low. On par with the Faaeal litz copper cable actually.

1 Like

That’s great to know. Thanks. Do you know how the other similar Fiio cables measure?

So it boils down to the fact you really can’t ask much more from a stock cable than what comes stock on the FD5. It’s near complete perfection especially for a stock cable.

1 Like

I only got the stock FH3 cable other than the FD5.

FH3: 0.49 ohm
FD5: 0.14 ohm

Thanks. So… Fiio is continuing to up their game. Another reason to make the FD5 an easy recommendation.

1 Like

yeah, its crazy because the only cable I got that measures lower is cable 175.

Which costs like…180 usd lol.

oh by cable 175 I mean this one: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000158772005.html

Hakuzen cable database: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/resistance-of-cables-pics-comments-and-links.907998/

2 Likes

WOW. That is saying something. The cable alone is worth half the cost of the FD5 by itself with that kind of quality along with the swappable connection system. I wish Fiio makes it available separately along with a 2 pin option. It’s a winner.

1 Like

Yeah, since fiio seems to be selling all their other stock cables. It is likely they will for this one as well. Although I wonder how much they would price it, I think Dunu´s cheapest modular cable is around 80 usd.

1 Like

Fiio sends you demo units right? Maybe you could be a bug in their ear? Their after market cables are nice. I have a few of their silver litz cables and really enjoy them.

yeah, they seem to be one of the few brands that is willing to send me free review units.

I guess I will send them a mail asking if they will sell the stock cable. Personally I would want it to be sub 30 usd.

Alright, sent.

Thanks for the link. Was looking this up and didn’t come up with anything.

ha ha. Good luck getting that price through. Their silver litz cables are $100. I’d pay more for the one that comes with the FD5.

yeah lol. I know their other cable is priced that high. But I mentioned the other great cables like the tri through and the kbear rhyme to them.

Cheaper is going to be better for us consumers.

And personally, if they price it too high I wont rec it, due to the other great cables. And I dont really need that modular function because I already have all the adapters I need lol.

If anyone needs a 2.5/3.5/4.4mm to 6.35mm adpater this one is great and high quality: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000570564015.html

1 Like