Rumors and new releases thread

Dip switches have been around for a long time…It happens when the tuner can’t decide on what he’s aiming for :yawning_face:

6 Likes

Lol thats a pretty good take, the lack of conviction becomes a feature. Smh funny any way you look at it.

2 Likes

They are everywhere!

3 Likes

I lost the article but someone is experimenting with ionizing air as a new form of ANC so good sound can be rediscovered. :wink:

Fiio FT5 (90mm planar?)

From what Fiio Japan posted on Twitter, it’s a 90mm planar magnetic, and that this is an engineering sample that may change. Price is unknown, but based on earlier blog posts it’s supposed to be around 600 USD.

Source

7 Likes

Just got the JCALLY AP20 today (if it wasn’t for your post, Riku, I wouldn’t have known anything about it, lol).

First impressions aren’t overwhelmingly positive. Apart from the fact that HiFiGo made a mistake and didn’t include USB C and USB A cables in the package even though I’d chosen a combo with all 3 cable types (USB C, Lightning, USB A). I had to contact their support, provide a video showing what I didn’t receive (… yeah) and got a promise that they would ship them ASAP.

Anyway, the dongle is well built and looks solid.
Sadly, it features glossy front panel which doesn’t make that much sense - there is no display underneath, so it’s only there to collect all the micro scratches. JCALLY didn’t add any protective film, unfortunately.

In terms of sound: most likely I have to let it play for a while longer before coming to any solid conclusions, but AP20 appears shouty, V shaped, accentuating mostly both low and high frequencies and leaving mids behind. Not my preferred way of tuning but maybe it’ll change over time.
Bass isn’t bloated, it’s fast and tactile. Highs may sting you a little now and then and seem to be capped somehow with no roll-off. This doesn’t really change with GAIN setting.

Also, I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like this, but BAL ports seem to be stupidly powerful. After connecting AP20 to my PC, having it on 1.8 V mode, I still need to run it on 2-5% volume with most of my IEMs. TGXear Serratus ( 500Ω ) are loud enough @15%
3.5 mm SE is slightly weaker and runs at around 40% of BAL volume.

Thankfully, it doesn’t have any separate volume control, the volume buttons are used for changing volume in your source - be it a phone, PC or DAP.

It outputs sound simultaneously through all ports (2.5 , 3.5 and 4.4) and doesn’t alter the volume while plugging in / out any new set. Nor does it make any popping sounds.

It doesn’t seem to get hot, even when running on its internal battery.

Anything I could write more about?

Cheers!

5 Likes

I also happen to own Tanchjim Space which happens to run on 2x CS43131, too. It sounds quite differently, though. Much more natural.

We got a new Penon 6BA in the wild:

Priced at $499

2 Likes

FINALLY!

Live stream next week, which I assume is when they be revealing it.

5 Likes

The xm3 converted me on tws for physical activity, so happy to pick up a 4 on deep discounts once xm5 drops. I’m happy staying one gen behind on them, but they will remain my go to unkess the mess up the sound.

Honestly, I would stay away from the XM4.

1 Like

Ohhh! Good call man, I didn’t know. Thanks!!

1 Like

New teaser from Thie/Linsoul

I don’t know anything else besides the dumb name, Hype 2 apparently it’s part of a new line Thie will be putting out soon.

6 Likes

Word on the street is 2DD/2BA, with one DD being a dedicated subwoofer. Awful name aside, there could be some promise there.

4 Likes

Fixed :smiley::raised_hands:

5 Likes

Interesting for sure, let’s hope Thie doesn’t go all whacky with the price! If these are around the Legacy series in terms of $$$ then it could be promising is right!

3 Likes

They set the price to 299$ on linsoul. Same 999$ for the Monarch MKIII, which is good

5 Likes

Woah if the MKIII is actually $1000 I’m in. I fully expected them to increase the price but it makes sense due to the Prestige LTD being in the lineup. Nice, thanks for the confirmation :muscle:

3 Likes

Corsair buys Drop.

only their keyboard stuff is spoken about though, so only time will tell what happens to their audio parts.

2 Likes

corsair getting decent audio maybe? lol
plus premium keebs