Rumors and new releases thread

RUMOR: details

2 Likes

I once ‘created’ an extra 30MB of space on a 150MB hard disk by patching a Xenix kernel to see beyond 1024 cylinders. Back in the early 1990s.

1 Like

That’s sexy AF. But I think my kidneys don’t value this much, so hard to believe I will ever get this. =P

2 Likes

Like when i slapped 256 mb of ddr2 into my machine?

https://www.amazon.com/Edifier-R1700BTs-Active-Bookshelf-Speakers/dp/B0886B1TWC

Crossed with them two days ago at the Brazilian edifier store. $10 more get you Bluetooth 5.0 with Aptx HD, a sub-out (3.5mm), and a new remote. Curious if they cut the bass when connected, though I seriously doubt it.

Looks like a refresh of the Archel along with the new Jnog dac.

https://geshelli.com/archel2-gmr-1

1 Like

I have a set of the R1700BTS w/sub out and they cut the bass in theory but, to me it was more a reduction in volume - it did not appear to me that it changed the xover curve to let more of the mids through the woofers. I had a hard time getting it to sound good, they sounded much better w/out sub attached - really, really good actually. Adding the sub seemed to change their whole dynamic. So I ended up putting them on another system where sub was not needed and then built up a passive speakers and an amp with sub out and haven’t looked back.

I reached out to Edifier support here is the reply:

4 Likes

Wow, that’s unexpected. Now I will really consider them when building a living room setup next year. Thanks for the info!

khadas releasing a new dac $170 pre order price

5 Likes

link to product page

2 Likes

Their “balanced RCA”: Why not just use 3.5mm TRS?

Money. It’s either gonna die a gimmick that no one is gonna wanna use, or it’s gonna somehow take off. I can see ifi’s implementing using pentacon as a better solution then this.

Yeah, they could have went any direction they wanted, but decided to do this. Supposedly its also compatible with a standard RCA, so you don’t have to buy a $70 balanced cable (or whatever it will be that probably won’t be available for a few months) to use it immediately.

But… balanced using TRS is the “second standard” next to XLR

Most TRS balanced implementations are also compatible with TS. Wierd decision as far as I am concerned

1 Like

April foo…oh. what?

Yea, really bizarre.
I love how the product page gives the impression 3.5mm & 6.35mm can’t be balanced… yet they show the XLR/TRS combo jack…

2 Likes

It seems actually not that weird. They state that it’s patented to remain free and everybody can use it as long as they let Khadas check the design first and call it Khadas balanced RCA.
But their point that the other options are uncommon while stamping out an completely unknown new standard is laughable to be honest. But hey let’s see

For the THX fans, SMSL released the SP400, stack to the M400. THX88 chip, 12Wpc @16Ohms balanced, but scale similar to the 789; it seems, however, to double the SE performance of the drop option, with 6Wpc @16Ohms. It also has balanced pre-outs.

So it seems like Hifiman is doing a loaner tour for the HE-R10P (there’s also a dynamic HE-R10D). These two are rumored to cost somewhere around 5k =)

I don’t know whether I should be laughing or crying. What in the world were they thinking when they priced these two products? Looks nothing different in construction than the Hifiman Deva which is 300 bucks… jeez. They don’t get any better with the build quality, do they?

Non removable headband at 5k is a big no no… construction looks… I’d rather not comment.

1 Like

how does one sign up for the tour?

3 Likes

Worthy adversary to a PI streamer?

The question mark is because I really don’t know…

1 Like