Rumors and new releases thread

:shushing_face:

1 Like

I wonder if it will work with Fiio’s, Hidisz’ or other’s Lightning to USB C adapter because they usually work with most devices even if they are non MFI certified

JDS Element III DAC/Amp now with a display

Measured by ASR

2 Likes

Quick Mojo2 listening impressions. Sorry if it’s not the right thread!

2 Likes

Son of a-

Vincent Brient of Totaldac said, “The d1-switch is made to improve the sound of a digital source connected to the network, making the sound more natural for local files reading but also a internet streaming “.

The appearance of d1-switch on sale is expected in the spring. In Europe, Totaldac d1-switch will cost 4,200 euros without VAT.

Single-handedly Totaldac improved RFC793 :rofl:

2 Likes

Hifiman teardrop pads from Dekoni:

https://dekoniaudio.com/product-category/brands/hifiman/arya/

Also interesting to see the direction the JDS team is taking, noted in their release notes, finally coming around I guess lol

“We’d tentatively planned around Cirrus Logic’s CS43131 for the sake of increased DAC measurements (read: not better audio)”

“…and devoted more time to imagining a better Element: Something more fun, more useful, and audibly better.

"To be abundantly clear, chasing SINAD for several years had led my ears to greater boredom with each design. I was relieved to hear DMS feels the same in his role as a reviewer. Increasing numbers looks great on paper, but even audio reviewers have grown bored with releases which bring nothing audibly advantageous to the table.

Element III happens to measure better, but that’s not the point. Read on to understand how it audibly leapfrogs the previous generation."

Anyways looks sweet for the price for an all in one, might end up picking one up at some point as a gift for a friend (but I’m going to listen to it first before that lol). But buttons on the back are still annoying personally, wish they’d move them to the front or top

10 Likes

I always liked the look of this unit. There is a lot to be said for a big, smooth dial. With my iFi I always use the remote as the volume knob is small, hard to get at and stiff. With my Violectric I never use the remote. That big, smooth dial is a pleasure to use and I suspect the Element is the same.

Cool unit gets better.

That friend I told you about is still looking, but interested in their stack. Can’t seem to find
which chip that dac has, or reviews about it (the El Dac ll +)
Any idea?

According to the blog post of the Element III, the old Element used a AKM9943 dac, while the new one uses a ESS9018K2M. I believe the EL Dac should use the same as the Element, which means a future EL DAC III should include a ESS dac to. You can read more here:

I like that although JDS has abandoned the Sinad wars but they are still focused on improving more tangible things, and specially to improve user experience. But I will say the implementation of the auto gain still looks a little wonky. Growing pains I guess.

Still very happy with the Element II so no reason to change. Still, very curious to see the way JDS Labs is going.

Edit: confirmed here, the EL DAC Ii uses the AKM4493EQM Dac chip.

2 Likes

Just got in the Element III, and I’m loving it so far. I’m actually downgrading from the RME ADI-2 DAC because I never use any of it’s features. And I love the knob, so satisfying to use!
But it’s a solid unit, and the auto gain is actually very well implemented and smooth. It gives you a buffer of like 5 volume steps, and only then does it jump into high gain.

6 Likes

can you define what ‘5 bumper steps’ means exactly?

I said a “buffer” of 5 volume steps. So when you raise the volume all the way at the end of low gain, the Element does not change into high gain until you have turned the volume knob by about 5 more steps past low gain. It’s hard to explain into words without showing a video or something.

2 Likes

that comment cleared it up for me. thanks!

Tipsy TTromso

New final headphones, $150 ish, wireless+ANC

4 Likes

@ $150, it does not bode well for being any good…

1 Like

New version of the A-100 with more power?

Biggest possible downsides: no more RCA pass-through, more blue leds, and still no volume indicator!

Going to wire a pair monoblock to a pair of DT880-600. Hope it’s enough.

2 Likes