Rumors and new releases thread

you forget the excellent Grado GW100.

1 Like

Not if you want a closed back or ANC.

1 Like

I mean, it’s interesting since these sorts of headphones are obviously popular, but from a “high end” audio standpoint there’s a problem. Normal headphones can basically last forever if you keep them in good shape, so it makes a certain amount of sense to invest a lot of money in something you’re going to (theoretically) use for the rest of your life, or at least sell off at some point in still usable condition.

But anything with batteries can’t work this way, because all batteries have a shelf life and lose performance over time. Of course, for some consumers this doesn’t seem to be a problem since folks have clearly been plopping down $550 for AirPods Maxes and that’s great for Apple because they can sell them another one in a few years and we’ve basically been trained by phones and laptops at this point to think that it’s “normal” for something you spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars for to only work for a few years and need replacing.

But this obviously hasn’t been the paradigm for audio gear (which don’t necessarily improve in quality year-on-year which is why we have headphones with 40+ year old designs that are highly coveted). And there’s a question whether the audiophile market is game for this sort of planned obsolescence. (Of course they could make headphones with easily replaceable batteries, but basically nobody’s done that.)

I get there’s something to be said for the convenience, but there’s also something to be said for only needing to replace my Qudelix and not my headphone as well.

10 Likes

that was not a factor in the comment… which was about the lack of good Bt headphones.

I don’t recall the Stax being ANC either… are they?

Not only that, but the software will obviously evolve, so the user will have to buy another set to keep the best compatibility with the different Bluetooth protocols etc.

2 Likes

3 Likes

Yeah… Umm no.

I’m judging way too soon, but that ain’t it :joy:

Sony will have to really have something special going on on the inside to make this alright. And the pricing, that’s something I guess we’ll wait for.

3 Likes

I don’t believe so.

1 Like

some interesting times on the horizon for possible wireless hifi headphones :slight_smile:

Looks like you’ll be getting some pretty solid accessories with the Dioko. Hopefully it also sounds good.

7 Likes

It seems that these eartips will add some coloration to the sound :wink:

8 Likes

new thieaudio headphone

6 Likes

https://www.schiit.com/products/folkvangr

10 Likes

The fit of these ones doesn’t look better than the timeless’ :thinking:

All of those power numbers are at 10% THD… Kinda odd of Schiit to pull that bullschiit. Either way I bet it’s probably pretty awesome.

1 Like

Pretty sure Valhalla has been adverted the same way.

Venture Electronics’ $50 Supernova is officially available to be purchased (non-affiliate links)

2 Likes

Isn’t it pretty much made on the same platform as the Timsok TS-1024 ?

What do you mean? You don’t like having a frisbee in your ear?

i do not know for i am not thieaudio