Rumors and new releases thread

That’s true, very “G4M3R” looking cans. But if they sound good, looks are not that important for non-outdoor headphones…

1 Like

Different people prioritize aesthetics differently, regardless of who else sees them.

There have been IEMs that sound great, and of course I don’t have to see them while using them because they’re in my ears, and it’s still a detriment to the set if I think they’re ugly or boring looking compared to a different set.

ahhh…you’re judging a book by it’s cover! :wink:

who cares what they look like? you’re wearing them and can’t see them, so if they’ve got excellent audio, WIN!

I mean, STAX are hideous, but the sound…sweet as honey! :smiley:

I’m ribbing you man, I don’t care either way! :smiley:

3 Likes

Given a book will spend 99.999999% of its lifetime in a shelf, prioritizing the aesthetics of it could actually be the most pragmatic thing to do :grin:

5 Likes

Topping A70Pro and D70Pro incoming. More power and better display than A90D.

D70Pro adds a SMSL like sound color mode with harmonic distortion.

Higher output mode.

4 Likes

Looks like they’re taking design cues from Cayin/Lyngdorf

Kinda wish that companies would stop showing stuff like the Susvara with gear that really shouldn’t be paired with it (I know they won’t stop though :rofl:)

1 Like

At least power-wise the Susvara makes sense with 6W @ 64Ohm. I guess, maybe someone will correct me and say you need minimum 20W for them or so.

2 Likes

Like the look, odd that they went with BT 5.1 when 5.3 is pretty common now

2 Likes

Yeah it’s more about the quality of the power that is delivered once you get to enough to supply them really. My point is usually with that tier of gear, a HeKv2 makes a lot more sense as you won’t really be able to get the potential out of the Susvara until you’re looking at gear that’s much closer to the price of the headphones themselves

1 Like

Starry Night V2

5 Likes

They look nice, but I am sticking with my V1 for now. I will most likely get the open back version when he launches it. :smile:

https://www.schiit.com/products/ragnarok-1

New Ragnarok 2 (link hasn’t updated yet)

4 Likes

I just got their email too…looks very interesting!!!

Very interesting. In a much better world (no need to say perfect world because perfection is unattainable, just ask Tin Cup! :laughing:) I would get one of these and a Yggy and be done with it. Maybe one day…

2 Likes

It seems to use a custom chip instead of AKM & ESS which is interesting but the price has doubled compared to W2.

1 Like

Headfonics has a review. TechPowerUp has a review also. I put my opinion over on the FT3 forum, for what it’s worth. All I’ll say here is that it’s a great headphone that does almost everything right, aside from the slightly divisive styling, earpads that are a tad small if you have big ears, and a cord that’s longer than some people like (but is very premium in feel). Well worth the $300 price and then some.

1 Like

Ragnarok 2 and Yggy stack checking in here, that’s exactly what I did lol - although I went through a whole bunch of DACs and amps before settling on them.

1 Like

That seems to be the trajectory I am on as well. Don’t get me wrong, it’s been fun learning about things, and I have been very happy with the sound that the selected components produced/produce. At the core, is the Bifrost 2. I don’t give this piece enough love, man. I think the Frost does an outstanding job. I can only guess that the Yggy is a significant jump in performance, which makes the notion of that stack very alluring.

3 Likes

The design gives me astell&keen vibes.

The ergonomics and functionalities don’t seem to be outstanding (no fwd/back?).

For now, the W1 is the best value of their offer. The difference with w2 isn’t big, and the sound improved recently with a firmware update.

I look forward to see a review about this new w4.

1 Like

I do think the Yggy is a jump in performance over the BF2 but if I was really being honest with myself, for me personally, I don’t think it’s worth the price. Don’t get me wrong, I love it but this hobby is probably the definition of diminishing returns lol, for $800 the BF2 probably gets you 80-90% of the way to an Yggy.

I do love the Ragnarok though because it has great power output for my HE6se v2, but also has pretty cool features as a speaker amp.