Rumors and new releases thread

Lots of new iems coming.

6 Likes

Addicts, hide yo wallets lol

Some exciting looking stuff!

Moondrop EVO for 90 dollars - not a bad price for true wireless earhooks with aptx codec.

Is aptx worth $70 over the trn bt20xs/pro? I dont think so, especially knowing that moondrop qc will bite you somewhere. Unless you value the inevitable moondrop waifu at that price…

3 Likes

iFi Zen Dac 3…

9 Likes

This addresses my biggest issue with TWS today… very interesting. I wonder what Michael Bruce could do with this @GooberBM

3 Likes

You mean the battery degradation?

4 Likes

yep. TWS was always so wasteful to me because the whole unit is garbage once the battery dies

4 Likes

I feel like that isnt much of a problem for people like us, we would have moved on to a new tws before the old battery suffered from degradation lol.

7 Likes

haha fair, although I am personally be less inclined to cycle through TWS buds because of this and the fact that the resale market for them is not particularly great. Thats why I like the TWS adapter, I can cycle transducers without having to throw away the consumable portion. Now a TWS adapter that had a replaceable battery would be something else. The market for that is probably so tiny though

3 Likes

TWS adapter ftw indeed, but at the price of the TRN BT20 series, it would just be easier to just buy another one.

1 Like

at that price point sure. I personally would spend much more (and I have) on a TWS adapter if it came with the capability to replace parts. I don’t subscribe to the “I can buy 10 of these and for the price of one of those”.

1 Like

Replaceable parts do have the advantage of being more environment friendly and at higher prices would be appreciated.

5 Likes

Well said. In addition its more consumer friendly. Products that die or have forced obsolescence are horrible and train people in negative ways with their purchases. Not a fan. Its the whole you will own nothing mantra. If you constantly have to buy new then its like a rental or a fixed cost.

3 Likes

Around 350 usd, depends on the dac/amp but it can either be average or the ender of daps lol.

FYI; that SOC is used in smartphones like the Xiaomi Redmiu note 12 Pro (200 usd), Samsung Galaxy A34 (250 usd), comparable to the snapdragon 855.

6 Likes

It’s a good chip and cool design. Sadly beyond Apple or Google, I don’t trust anyone to do that great of a job processing images from the camera with good results for low light or motion, yet alone a “software? what is software?” company. I probably wouldn’t be content with the image processing on most Samsungs and they have hecka R&D money poured into it.

Camera’s always been the achilles heel that’s stopped me getting affordable-but-very-cool or niche phones.

EDIT: I’m impressed by the price seeing as their MOQ would be nowhere near big players and it by nature can’t just be a rebadge of another’s company’s preexisting design.

3 Likes

The camera is probably just a “its available” thing here rather than a focus.

I also highly doubt moondrop did much here, they likely had an oem doing the work for them. Considering how crappy their app is…

Actually, on gsmarena, there is a guy arguing it might be from the same oem that did the Lava Blaze Curve.

4 Likes

More info!

Cirrus Logic and 5000 mah, big battery, a bit slow charging though.
“pure native android” OS

Judging by the measurements, it looks closer to the Dawn Pro than the Moonriver 2, so I guess it is the CS43131 chip in it. Makes more sense than the CS43198 as that one needs an amp, while the 43131 has one built in.

6 Likes

Unboxing of the Moondrop MIAD01 phone:

The guy carrying a Sony DMP-Z1 :joy:. If the dac/amp chip is decent with good reviews I might bite. It’s apparently an ODM product and the international pricing is $399.

3 Likes