Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

On the ‘Hi’ gain output, loud is generally for me somewhere between 9:30 to 11:00 depending on whatever album I’m listening to. It definitely has enough power and headroom.

Also, the difference between a SS amp like the RNHP and the Tuba was nuts. It definitely sounds like a higher tier from the rnhp with the aeolus.

2 Likes

Well it’s on my list. So hard to find videos on it. It’s 1/4 inch right?

Yeah, two 1/4 outputs. One for low gain and one for high gain. RCA in.

Okay that’s what I thought. I wasn’t sure from the pics and the specs didn’t say. Cool. That may be the one I go for. Thanks!

1 Like

If RNHP is a 10/10, what is Asgard 3? And what about Atom, which I already have? I know that would make Phonitor and others greater than 10/10, but play along! I’d have to sell less stuff to get an Asgard, and the extra power is appealing to me.

You can have a look at the Feliks Audio “Echo”
at 499 Euro / 450$

as another option or another sub 500$
build yourself a Bottlehead Crack with Speedball

there is also the Eddie current…

so many “right” choices :slight_smile:

It depends on what headphones you go with for which amp would work better imo, I can’t really give some arbitrary numbers tho lol

Foiled! Haha. Ananda, 6XX, 4XX, 177X, Dekoni Blue. May be selling all but Ananda to get LCD 2CB, LCD XC, or Eikon.

So the ananda might preform better on something like a cayin iha6, but surprisingly the lcd x and xc preform very well with the rnhp, they pair pretty dang well (they also do well on the cayin but with the cayin you trade some nuance for some slam but it is small). I can’t comment on the eikon tho, but I don’t think zmf do anything special with the rnhp if I go off of my verite, they do love a tube tho

1 Like

iha6 looks nice, but I’d rather spend less if I can. Is Asgard better than Atom? Nearly as good as RNHP? Or not close?

I think the asgard is a step up from the atom but not at rnhp level, but it would be good for the ananda. I think it depends on what you want to prioritize, the XC is just awesome with the rnhp, and the ananda does better with more power so the asgard 3 might be the better pairing. The ananda does just fine off of the rnhp (the arya preforms admirably too), so no issues, you just have to choose to prioritize one.

2 Likes

I can concur.

My LCD-X sound fantastic powered from the RNHP.

X/XC are low impedance but planars still require a fair amount of power, and the Neve delivers.

3 Likes

The ananda likes more power for better control because of it’s larger drivers, also it can be more picky than the lcd line

1 Like

Are you saying LCD might sound nearly as good on Asgard because they’re less picky? Or is that just what I wanted that to mean? Lol

Well, no, but it would still be more than acceptable lol. I think the rnhp is the better choice still, as personally I would prioritize the XC over the ananda if it were me

4 Likes

and the Ananda out of :

the RME ADI 2 fs standalone in High Power Mode single ended(obviously)
vs
RME +THX AAA 789 (balanced out of 789)
vs
ifi xDSD standalone (with balanced 3.5 TRRS to XLR adaper)
vs
ifi xDSD + THX AAA 789 (with balanced 3.5 TRRS to XLR adaper out of 789)

I know THX… is going to be replaced at the end of the year… wonder if the xDSD on it´s own has enough current for the Ananda?

1 Like

Does it pair well with most headphones?

TBH yes as long as they aren’t particularity power hungry

1 Like

Watched Z use it to run argons. I don’t have anything that hungry. Most power hungry cans I have are the aeon 2 closed (one the way), Verite (on the way), and hd800S and Hd650s. Oh and mh751 which is obviously easy. And not worried about iems.

I mean for the 650 and the 800s I would say go for a nice tube amp, but it will work nicely with the 2 closed and verite (but even that might be more enjoyable on a tube)

At that price you could get a hagerman tuba or feliks echo or woo wa6 or bottlehead crack with speedball, and that would pair really well with the verite, 650, and 800s. The rnhp would work well with all of them, but I think a tube could be the way to go here perhaps

3 Likes