Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

You can pickup a 4-pin to unbalanced connector. I don’t know that balanced inherently on it’s own has any benefit, but some headphone amps designed around a balanced architecture can sound better balanced vs unbalanced. But the RNHP sounds better than a lot of other amps in the price range just running unbalanced. I don’t think there is anything equivalent in the price bracket.

2 Likes

There are different amps but not really with the same sound of the rnhp

Balanced can be a win, but only for some amps.
It’s not a win in and of itself.
The Pass Labs HPA-1 is $3500 and doesn’t have balanced in or out, and I’m fairly sure if Nelson Pass thought balanced would improve the quality he’d have included it.

1 Like

Yeah I know I can get an adapter. Even if it’s out of this price range. I’m planning my next purchase and I want to be certain of it. I know I’ll be happy with this for sure lol. I’m just wondering.

This one is balanced. Lol

2 Likes

Very true, something to consider for sure

I wouldn’t feel any need for the extra power right? I know I don’t have anything that will be underpowered at the moment

I just also hate now having to plug my new cord into an adapter lol. If I was smart with my Aeolus purchase, I’d have gotten a 2.5 balanced and a 2.5 to xlr adapter and a 3.5 or 1/4 inch.

But no. I went for an xlr cable and a 2.5 cable haha.

1 Like

I’m currently using the SPL Phonitor E… I got mine for $1100…
And someone else got theirs for $950 or so. It’s definitely a step up over the RNHP. There’s still an argument for the RNHP… but the Phonitor E is definitely a higher tier amp overall, IMO… and it’s a very noticeable jump in just pure resolution.
It has balanced and a fair amount of power.

2 Likes

I’m sure @M0N can recommend some others too… he has more amp experience.

Ooooof that is a pretty piece of equipment. Don’t tempt me. I have the funds if I wanted but I definitely don’t have the headphones to justify that one yet lol.

I’m more thinking I want to find my perfect ss amp for around a grand and perfect tube amp for around a grand and call it for a few years lol.

1 Like

But then I’m not so experienced in tube amps. I’m looking at some of the woo audio tube amps now, like the wa7. But I’m kinda afraid that the wa7 must be going into it’s 3rd gen soon so I’d punch myself in the nards if I got it and it was updated in the next year or even two.

I’d skip the wa7, it’s not really the best of the woo amps. The wa6 is highly regarded especially the SE variant.

1 Like

Maybe I will get this guy for my ss for now and be happy :man_shrugging:

I guess a 1/4 inch does have a more fun sound being plugged in :yum: lol

yeah, for what it’s worth… the plug and volume knob on the RNHP are very nice. lol

Yeah? Maybe the the shiny that pulled me in. Is the wa6 fairly neutral sounding with stock tubes?

I really want a tube amp but I don’t want ones too warm because i feel the Aeolus will not like a warm tube given it’s sound signature.

Then I wonder if the auteur should’ve been my choice.

These are the things that keep my up at night…:persevere:

1 Like

It seems like it. Does it work well with more efficient headphones too? I wonder since there isn’t a gain switch.

someone else was very happy with the TUBA, but might be a hybrid? Not sure…

4 Likes

Not a hybrid

2 Likes

yes… the output impedance on the RNHP is EXTREMELY low… it works very well with very sensetive headphones. Same with the Phonitor. lol They are both studio type amps.

2 Likes

It’s .08 ohms lol

1 Like