Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

I would say better technicalities, but man there is something special about how natural the rnhp can sound over higher end amps lol

3 Likes

The SPL Phonitor is beautiful and just very aesthetically pleasing. Visually, it looks like Satan became an audiophile and went through an industrial and steampunk phase simultaneously, and built the Phonitor during that time, lol.

3 Likes

Yup. Someone asked me earlier if I’d describe it as sounding like a class A amp.

I don’t know how a class A amp sounds characteristically, but the best way I could describe the Neve was that it has a full, articulate presentation that displays detail and decay with ease. Kind like analog vinyl.

1 Like

Well, it is German (I’m half German). :laughing:

2 Likes

Neve gear is known for sounding natural, and that carries on here lol

4 Likes

Substantial price increase (spl phonitor e vs rnhp)

I mean, but you are getting more, I think the spl amps are a worthwhile upgrade if you want better technicalities (although not as natural sounding as the neve). Kinda preference here.

2 Likes

So addendum to my comment…Satan did all of this while listening to Rammstein, Scorpions, Tangerine Dream, Helloween (and of course Black Sabbath, King Diamond, Ministry and Judas Priest), lol.

2 Likes

Yes, all while assigning the role of Supreme Overlord to the Fatherland.

2 Likes

It’s interesting that the two amps that are consistently discussed here (of course it’s an RNHP thread) are produced by studio equipment manufacturers.

3 Likes

Imagine a room full of expert computer scientists, linguists etc. from arround the world working hard so every computer round the globe can understand each other…
And people complain the skin-tone modifiert has limited selection and you can’t choose the syrup on the pancake emoji.

4 Likes

Priorities.

1 Like

I mean, it’s kinda because they offer a great overall amp for the price, compared to higher end units. Most of the people on here aren’t really going to spend over 1k on an amp alone, and that’s where the more “audiophile” brands live. There are some smaller handmade or small company amps under like the 300 usd range, but there aren’t as many in the 300-800 range that are solid state and readily available imo

1 Like

My point was more speaking to the quality of sound reproduction.

“Audiophile” gear cost several times more than studio gear (referring to headphone amps) but does it provide a proportional amount of an increase in sound reproduction?

Fidelice is an example of the markup when it’s being advertised to “audiophiles”.

1 Like

Well they get to it when they get to it. I think they are still considering the fall out of the Hamburger Emoji decisions.

2 Likes

All the audiophile stuff has big holes in where you see significant improvements
for amps it’s $100-200, $500-800, then >$1000 and >>$1000
And there isn’t much in the middle category.
Once you’re in the later category there is a lot of just personal preference involved.

Valve amps are worse, you pretty much have <$1000 and >$3000

2 Likes
  1. Microsoft uses the official ones quite often
  2. https://unicode.org/emoji/charts/full-emoji-list.html#1f354
2 Likes

lol the facebook and twitter ones look the most unappetizing

1 Like

And here is Darko’s take on the combo unit.
Buy once, cry once possibly? I don’t know…

2 Likes

And Apple put the lettuce under the meat. Huh

3 Likes