Rupert Neve RNHP Precision Headphone Amplifier

Ok so it’s the new year and I held out long enough…

Do I buy the RNHP first and listen to my DT 1990, Phantoms and HD6xx on it or an Elex first?

This is not an “I’ll just buy both sets of Koss” scenario… Want to buy a digital piano as well.

1 Like

I feel like, people like the Elex so much, you may not even feel the need to get the RNHP if you get Elexs.

3 Likes

what DAC/AMP do you use now?

SU-8 and EL Amp. Little dot 1+ with modified opamp and tubes for fun…

1 Like

Yeah I don’t think the rnhp is that worth it for you at the moment imo, I think the elex would be a better addition

1 Like

What they said. :point_up_2:

The detail is staggering. I’m hoping it’s an increase in detail, rather than just hearing different details b\c it’s a new sound signature. But with 15 minutes of listening I’m impressed as heck.

I look ridiculous, but it sounds just great. Danielle Haim has never sounded better. I can hear vocal cord vibrations. I can hear studio noise in Alt-J’s An Awesome Wave.

More power hungry that I thought. 3 o’clock on the SPL with a single ended jack. I ended up having to comandeer a balanced cable from my Elegia.

Any more and I’ll post in the Arya thread. Sorry all.

3 Likes

Nice, what do you think of the presentation? Glad you are enjoying it so far

bump

2 Likes

I see that someone has bought the last open box RNHP from American Musical… it was a good deal while it lasted

1 Like

How does the 2.5 compare to the RNHP in your opinion?

I haven’t received the RNHP yet, but I can let you know in a few days once it arrives.

Mine is supposed to arrive tomorow, so excited! I won’t receive the enog2pro for a few days though, I’m gonna take the opportunity to compare the RNHP using the topping d10 versus enog balanced when I get it and see if there is a big difference.

4 Likes

That’s awesome!

Looking forward to hearing your impressions.

Nice, hope you enjoy it, curious about your thoughts :+1:

About Zeos and the THX (well, AAA, Achromatic Amps) vs RNHP and others… Lol, I think we’re at the level 2 of hi-fi problems.

Level one being, confounding clear, crisp, boosted high frequencies, with actual detail.
Level two being, ignoring the smoothness/naturalness of, well, human music, confounding a too “clean” (clinical, analytical, maybe even lifeless for some? sound), with “high fidelity”.

I mean, everything until now has been mixed/mastered/analyzed by people with non-AAA stuff, for people with non-AAA stuff. “Colorful” amps were part of the signal, everywhere. And part of the result. With AAA? Not anymore.

I get it, if all you want is detail, get AAA stuff. But… maybe even the Atom sounds more natural than AAA stuff after all.

PS: I might be wrong, too. It’s just a thought.

2 Likes

Just going to say that the rnhp has more detail and presents it in a more natural way than the thx stuff

4 Likes

Choosing AAA for enjoyment, for me, would be like choosing flat AF studio speakers for enjoyment. And not the good ones with soundstage and depth etc.

I’ll stick to my Atom amp for now, and will get Adam T5Vs soon (studio-approved, but with width + depth + soundstage). No worries about anything sounding “too clinical” with this.

Yeah yeah I’m on an RNHP thread, your amp costs more than my (future) T5Vs, #mid-fi-studio lol, guilty.

1 Like

Adams are pretty good, should be pretty nice :+1:
A good accurate speaker should be able to have width depth and soundstage, and I would argue a speaker that can’t achieve this isn’t really neutral or accurate in it’s presentation. Of course there are times for speakers that change things for studio as well, but personally if I were to call something accurate I would say it should be able to actually recreate a space and have a fairly uncolored sound signature

Also yeah the atom is pretty solid, it’s really not worth it to invest in a rnhp in your case imo

2 Likes

Yeah lol I won’t get a 700$CAD amp for 200$CAD headphones (or 500$CAD T5Vs).