šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Iā€™m a little unsure if I should post here or make a separate threadā€¦
Iā€™ve just taken delivery of an Asgard 3 but seem to be having some noise issues which I think is coming from my DAC.
Iā€™m using the Soundblaster G6 as my DAC so that I can use my mic for gaming. Problem is, Iā€™m getting noise such as mouse movement and GPU noise from 0-9 on the dial, This seems to disappear a little between the 10-2 stage and come sback louder after that.

The G6 is connected via USB which is then connected to the Asgard via a 3.5mm to RCA on the line out of the G6. When I disconnect the RCA connections from the asgard, I still have noise. When I then diconnect the mic from the G6 I then get silence. I assume a ground loop being caused by the USB to the G6 and using a y-splitter to the G6 mic and asgard 3 headphone out isnā€™t helping either.

Iā€™m currently looking for my optical cable to try that next. Any thoughts?

Yes, you canā€™t split a headset/mic connection between two devices, only one is grounded. You either need to go with a Modmic or other standalone mic.

Ah, That I did not know. Others on here never mentioned it when I asked before.

Just done some further testing. With only headphones connected (DT990) directly into the Asgard, As soon as the G6 is connected I get audible noise. The only way to rectify is to have external power to the G6 and optical from the PC to G6. Going to try an iDefender+ from iFi Audio.

Ground loop from the Asgard to your PC.

1 Like

I removed the Asgard and fed it from a different wall socket. Same issue. The only way it seems is use a different supply to the G6 now. Iā€™ll see how it goes with the idefender.

Split the power from the G6 USB and no more issues. Mic is crystal clear again using two devices now too.

Correct but ground loop to the G6 it seems.

First impressions (In comparison to the JDS Labs EL II)

The JDS Labs EL II amp is very crispy clean-sounding. I donā€™t know how to put it to words, but I will try: It was like wearing prescription glasses for the first time. Everything is clear, sharp, and the detail of everything is mesmerizing. For me personally, this gave the impression that all of my headphones and IEMS were too loud. Especially for the Yamaha HPH MT-5, the BLON BL-03 and Tripowin TC-01, I couldnā€™t get passed ~7:00-7:30 or else I felt like my eardrums would explode, and this was on low gain. However, the Tin P1 and Sennheiser HD 6XX in my arsenal saw great benefit from thisā€¦ this power. For that reason, I had to buy the iFi IEMatch+ for the express purpose of more volume control. Going back to the prescription glasses analogy, itā€™s like getting surprised of the hustle and bustle of a city, because you can see anything and everything. Everything is so detailed and stimulating that you canā€™t help but admire the world around you.

For the Schiit Asgard, I will relent with the prescription glasses analogy. Instead of the big city however, what stimulates me is a scenic beachside. However, these glasses have been worn for a while, but I can still see just fine; I can appreciate the ocean waves, the good weather, and the amazing sunlight. Unlike the busy street, I can just escape from reality with the relaxing atmosphere, and that is all that really matters. Itā€™s truly ironic, because my lineup doesnā€™t sound as loud on the Asgard on low gain as it would on the EL II.

Donā€™t get me wrong, the EL II had me going ā€œOh! Oh? Agh!ā€, but the Asgard 3 makes me go ā€œAhhhhhhhhhhhhā€¦!ā€ if that makes senseā€¦

9 Likes

Has anyone tried Schiitā€™s ESS DAC card yet?! Very curious as to how it stacks up!

1 Like

I got one shortly after the release and am pretty darn happy with it. It is still limited to 32 bit 192kHz but got the Schiit Unison USB which seems to be very good. I hooked it up to my Macbook Air, to my RoPieeeXL and my Pixel 4a. All worked perfectly and the sound differences were miniscule.

Right now I have my Pixel 4a connected to the Asgard 3 via USB-C playing local files via UAPP.

2 Likes

Rad - thank you!

Yeah. If you are looking for an all-in-one solution itā€™s pretty competetive. The measurements look decent too. No IMD hump at all. Sound is not typical ESS sound but rather a Schiit refined ESS sound. Not as bright as other ESS dacs I have listened to over the years. Resolution is pretty good as is layering and imaging. For the price you canā€™t go wrong imo.

1 Like
7 Likes

Liked and subscribed!

1 Like

okay people, itā€™s been about 2-and-a-half days, and i am already having a problem. to cut it short, the right channel of ANY headphone or IEM i use has this scratchy and sibilant distortion. i tried swapping cables.

in the middle of writing this message, i have decided to swap back to the JDS Labs EL II to check if this was perhaps a DAC issue. I did the headphone shuffle, and the IEM cable switcharoo, and no scratchy distortion in the right channel for anything.

to triple check, i decided to swap back to the asgard 3, and then like magic, the scratchy distortion is gone. i have no idea why it started, nor why it ended. iā€™m just happy that it magically fixed itself. will keep you all updated in case if it persists. in a state of panic, i have already contacted schiit, and i will updated them about my findings as well.

in the meantime, please look at how geometrically pleasant this asymmetrical triple stack is.

update: the scratchiness returned after some time, and again for no discernable reason. i decided to plug out the asgard 3 again and swap to the EL II. again, no scratchiness in the right channel when i use the EL II. afterwards, i swapped back and the scratchiness is gone in the asgard 3. what a mystery.

Update: the right channel will have a pop and slight hiss at times after listening to music for an hour or two.

Update:

Manā€¦ I love my Asgard 3 but it seems like the QA on this product is not the best. Seems like every time I check back in here there is a new person with an issue which is a real shame because this is such a fantastic product at the price point. Hope they can fix whatever is going on there.

Thankfully they are pretty nice with return/exchange policy, they fixed my issue within 1 week of e-mailing them.

Could be down to sample bias.

In other words: For everyone speaking up with a problem, there could be twenty happy customers.

2 Likes

Yeah, since you donā€™t know the size of the ownership base, you canā€™t determine the failure percentageā€¦

1 Like

The end result is they are taking ownership of a product and even paying for the shipping back to them.

There are other choices out there and Schitt often states this.

My Asgard 3 arrived and worked wonderfully while I had it.

Alex