šŸ”· Schiit Asgard 3

Owned 12 Pieces of Schiit over last 4 years including Asgard 2 and 2x Asgard 3ā€™s. 4 pieces from new rest 2nd handā€¦never a problem. Great sound awesome designā€¦My Bifrost 2 is never leaving.

5 Likes

My Asgard is in daily use since I got it mid March. Added the ESS dac a few weeks ago. No issues either. Using it as an desktop all in one connected to my android phone using UAPP to power my Etys and KSC75 and tbh if it would fail I would by a new one without hesitationā€¦

Do you notice any volume difference using the new internal ESS dac vs. when you use an external DAC? The old DAC cards had this issue, and it was reported as fixed. Just curious your experience.

Nope. I didnā€™t notice any difference in volume. I am pretty impressed by the dac card to be honest. A no brainer in my book.

1 Like

Well Schiitā€¦ I wasnā€™t going to spend money on this, but $100 for an integrated DAC card is hard to beat. Do you know if this card is limited to 24bit / 192kHz like other Schiit DACs? Or have they enabled it up 32bit / 768kHz? My guess is 24/192, but a guy can dream :slight_smile:

1 Like

It is limited to 32/192 but the unison usb is worth it. I ran the card with my Pixel 4a using UAPP and my Macbook Air using HQPlayer and there is no audible noise, volume set to 100% on low gain. Not even with my Etymotics.

1 Like

What HQPlayer settings are you using with this DAC? Have you found something that works well?

My take on how some of the Schiit amps compare!

3 Likes

I used sinc-S / poly-sinc-ext2 (both work great), NS-9 and upsampled to 192kHz. But to be honest most of the times I use my Pixel 4a with UAPP streaming Qobuz via wifiā€¦

1 Like

You really wanne make me buy a Lyr 3 after you convinced me to buy the Echo MK2?

2 Likes

Looks good to me! This is in line with what I tend to use for PCM only DACs.

ā€¦ and there goes my $$$ . Just ordered the DAC card, 2 day shipping. Boom!

Congrats. I doubt you will regret that purchase.

2 Likes

Just installed the ESS dac on the A3. :slight_smile:
So far I am very impressed and do not noticed any volume difference before and after installing the card. I may actually prefer this combo vs modi 3+/A3 stack. I noticed itā€™s a lot more fun and engaging. Mainly using focal elegia and clear mg.

I maybe bias toward ESS since I spent a lot of time on the su-9 (and I like that dac a lot) while waiting for the jot/bf2.

Also got my jot and bf2 3 weeks ago (after 20 weeks of wait). So a lot of listening session to do.

4 Likes

Sounds like a nice way to spend a weekend!

1 Like

Is this better than the TrueMultibit? Where do you get this card, and is it hard to install. Finally, would it kill the warranty of the unit?

You can order the card directly from Schiit. Products ā†’ Upgrades ā†’ ES9028 DAC card. Installation is quiet easy if you know how to use a screwdriver :wink:

3 Likes

Canā€™t make any Input/comment since I donā€™t have any experienced with schiitā€™s True Multibit Dacā€¦

The ESS Dac module can be purchase at schiitā€™s website.

And yes this apparently and unfortunately would void your warranty because this goes against their ā€œnon serviceable partsā€ just be aware of that.

1 Like

My second Asgard 3 developed the same distortion in the right ear after 3 weeks.

Emailed them again. Iā€™m not the only one reporting this problem.

Sorry you are having issues. That really sucksā€¦ I got my Asgard around March and Iā€™ve been listening to it every weekend since then. I have not experienced any issues besides getting jumpscared by the loud clicks of the relays when I turn it off.
Are the Asgards being made at the Texas shop now? If they are, I wonder if they are having a shaky transition

ummmā€¦ yeahā€¦ you are rightā€¦ this new little DAC card is pretty sweet. Just installed it in my Jot2 and itā€™s really enjoyable. I previously had the multi-bit card in the Jot2 and it was underwhelming. This has a better synergy with the Jot2 - sound quality is closer to the Modius DAC than the Modi DAC. But you canā€™t beat the convenience of having it all in one box! Gotta love some audiophile simplicity for the desk setup.

Yes - I agree. sinc-S sounds especially good. poly-sinc-gauss has a pretty nice sound on this DAC card as wellā€¦

Anyway - this is easily the best $100 Iā€™ve spent in a long time. Thanks for the good recomendation!

3 Likes