Schiit Bifrost 2

Also, how were the dynamics and the bass + slam on it?

There’s a button on the remote that inverts the phase, it’s to fix songs that have it inverted for some reason, but realistically you probably will never use it and should just leave it off.

I was reading the Bifrost manual and it said to use a USB cable 2m (or 6ft) max length. guess they dont want too long a USB cable

For audio, it is always recommended to a 4 or 5 ft cable or less. otherwise, you can run into latency issues.

Currawong? He’s up there for me, just without the subscribers.

I agree with you though, I’d love some of those others to review more Schiit stuff

1 Like

Ok so ive had my Bifrost burning in and today i tried it with my Helios headphones and wow it sounds so good. better today than yesterday. I just cant get over how good it sounds. More full, lush and detailed. The music sounds so much more involving. holographic. the sound is more textured and real. Its like i switched to a more detailed headphone.

At first i was unsure when Mon recommended i upgrade my DAC next. but boy was he right. My Su8 DAC is so much lesser than the Bifrost. listening to my playlist the songs are much more substantial and engrossing. I have some tracks that did not sound very good having poorer sound quality and mixing. And sounded a little flawed in the SU8. But the Bifrost really perked them up and made them sound much more legit.

I really thought a while ago that you couldnt get much better than the sp200 and SU8. but the RNHP and Bifrost are such a big upgrade to that. they really underline how important it is to upgrade the amp and dac over headphones sometimes. They are much more substantial.

I got the Bifrost hoping to tame the treble on the headphones i seemed to be leaning towards. But the Bifrost unfortunately seems to have increased the treble on some songs. There also seems to be more bass. but for me thats never a bad thing lol.

My one reservation about the Bifrost was i had been told it had a lot of soundstage. but my soundstage seems to have been reduced from what i usually hear. I knew the SU8 had a lot of soundstage but didnt realize how much. much happier with the soundstage on the bifrost.

And thats another thing i love about the Bifrost. it seems more faithfull to the music. i really dont like colored DACS. i feel they should bring out whats there and not add to it. The Bifrost seems to be more faithful to the music in that way.

IDK but im starting to wonder if the SU8 was just a bad DAC and i didnt realize it. I dont think i could recommend it to anyone after this.

I did notice that when i turn on exclusive mode in the Amazon music app that windows no longer controls the volume. I have to use the RNHP to do that. On my SU8 i was still able to use the Windows volume mixer to control it. not sure what that means but i am glad that the Windows mixer does not seem to be involved in my music anymore.

11 Likes

The su8 is fine in it’s price range, it sounds like all the other low cost ESS DAC’s I’ve heard.
It’s worth the extra over something like the D10 if you need volume control.
They all have brittle treble, it’s why I prefer the AK chipsets in that price range.

I didn’t find the Bifrost 2 sharp, make sure you let it warm up, but it could just be the way it matches with the rest of your chain, or the content.

A lot of audio is about synergy, finding components that work well together, spending $3000 on a DAC makes no sense if you use $150 headphones and to a somewhat leaser extent vice versatile, but not all DAC’s work well with all Amps or all headphones.

1 Like

yeah thats true. the bifrost is not sharp but does seem to emphasize treble on certain tracks a lttle more than the Su8. I wonder if thats cause of the soundstage the SU8 added. I mean it sounds to me like the SU8 put a whoping huge amount of soundstage in the music. like its the hd800 of DACS lol. thats the way it seemed to me.

Or the Su8 was rolled off?

1 Like

Can a Dac roll off?

Anything can roll off.

The su8 is a lot of things, rolled off isn’t one of them.

I own both and my experience differs greatly from Ants. But I’m listening to different material on different amps with different headphones.

I find the Bifrost2 has considerably better staging and the treble is much more refined than the SU8. If anything the Bifrost2 skews warm, but that’s mostly from the better bass slam and extension.

3 Likes

I have had the same experiences as you, FWIW.

For the bucks the Schiit Bifrost 2 is really very, very good as a dac…I have compared to a $5495 dac and there is little that the Schiit B2 lacks with my setup and ears…

Alex

3 Likes

Does anybody on here own the BF2 AND the Ares II?
I would love to hear some A-B comparisons.

3 Likes

I believe @M0N does

He was collecting DAC’s for a review, but I think he was waiting on a BF2?

I’m SURE M0N will give us a BF2 review when 1) he has it in hand 2) he’s given a few days dedicated to it and 3) has time to post something on it.

I’ve had it for like a week now, just as I remember it sounding

Done as well lol

I’ll get to it eventually if I feel like writing my thoughts on it, but I’ve really already said what I think about it many times on the forum, I wouldn’t go in depth or anything since I don’t like doing that

4 Likes

I remember you mentioned it would help me get the tone I wanted for my LCD X… so yeah. Your memory on it before was pretty solid. I think that particular recommendation came in the RNHP thread.