Schiit Bifrost 2

Slight but I would use the phrase “quality” and it’s really hard to hear.

2 Likes

You’re saying the XLR is slightly better than the RCA or slightly worse?

I didn’t say either. The single ended is tiny bit narrower in sound stage. There’s a few other differences but I can’t remember off the top of my head. Regardless, saying worse is a disservice to the DAC because the single ended is some of the best in that price range. Just a tiny bit difference presentation.

2 Likes

Oh, okay maybe you meant “wouldn’t” then, not “would”. Sounds good, though, thanks!

Would a schiit bifrost (1) multibit still be worth it for 300€ over a topping e30 or better said, a different enough flavour to try it out? And compared to the Allo revolution (@M0N )?
I guess reselling schiit here is no problem if I don’t like…

Hmmm yeah the bifrost 1 multibit is def going to be an improvement, and will be a bit of a step over the allo as well, the bf2 is another leap forward, at 300 the og bf1mb could be worth trying perhaps

Sounds like I should try it I guess. In constantly searching the DAC world right now because I want to try more DACs since I understood that they really make a difference. I have the itch to buy something, but I think I don’t want to spend nearly 1000€ on a DAC right now and I just can’t decide what would be the best option. BF2 would be around 850€ after importing it…something else than 699 in the us I think…and there are soo many other options. Just saw the bifrost multibit pop up today and thought why not! Thank you!

Well should be pretty interesting for sure, will be curious to see how things go :+1:

1 Like

Fun fact: One day after I bought the bifrost multibit, a bifrost 2 pops up :joy:

1 Like

Of course it does lol

After some testing these past few weeks, I tend to lean towards more analytical amps!

What I currently have:

1. Asgard 3
  2. Schiit Magni Heresy

Of the two, I really like the more forward, detailed, and clear sound of my Magni Heresy. I do like my Asgard 3, but I find it to be too warm and rolled-off from time to time.

It goes without saying - I will be keeping my Bifrost 2! Does anyone have any recommendations in terms of a “step up” AMP to try with my Bifrost 2 that leans more clean and analytical?

PS - I will be doing most of my listening through my HD600s.

Thanks!

Any other headphones? What comes to mind to me is the little labs monotor imo, that’s a pretty great more neutral slightly analytical amp, pairs pretty well with the 600s and the bf2

As of right now, nope. I tried the Sundara’s for a week or so, but they were very uncomfortable for me. Thanks for the tip, I will check out the AMP!

I wonder if the RNHP will give me the kind of sound I am after …

Thanks, @M0N!

It might, I was going to mention it but hesitated since with a bf2 I wouldn’t call it clean analytical per se, it’s more neutral-natrual imo, but it’s still very detailed and perhaps slightly forward in some areas, but not as forward and neutral analytical as the monotor

1 Like

Got it!

I was also looking at the A90. I might give that a go. I think it might sound pretty cool with the Bifrost 2.

I personally wouldn’t, imo that would be a step down from something like the little labs or neve, and also it doesn’t exactly pair the best with the bf2 imo. If you wanted to try a more measurement focused balanced amp, the geshelli erish is a good place to start

1 Like

Jotunheim 2. :slight_smile: I recentlly made this step myself; upgraded from Asgard 3 to Jot 2, using a Bifrost 2 as my DAC, and my headphones are Empyrean, HD580 and HD660S. Where I regularly found the Asgard 3’s sound a bit too smooth and gentle, the Jot 2 doesn’t forgive, and it brings some fireworks in. It’s a big improvement over the Asgard 3 in dynamics (micro-, macro-, contrast), transient peaks aren’t rounded off, but have a clean and satisfying sense of bite/incisiveness, without any harshness or fatigue. The stage is more open, airy and spacious, imaging is more pinpoint precise, and the overall sense of detail is markedly improved.

It’s not a reference amp by heart. It has some tricks up its sleeve to bring in some fun, mainly through its powerful and agile macrodynamics, but it doesn’t sound warm or colored in ways that compromise resolution. The amp sounds neutral to me throughout, and its overall technical performance exceeded the capabilities of my THX 789 by a very convincing margin, making the 789 seem pretty much redundant in my system.

I ended up selling both my Asgard 3 and 789, since I just haven’t found there to be a need for those amps to remain in my lineup with the Jot 2 covering my soilid-state needs.

2 Likes

Personally I wouldn’t recommend the A90, it doesn’t sound neutral to my ears compared to stuff like Heresy

It’s an upgrade to the Heresy but not the Asgard, more like a side grade, but I’d suggest looking at the JDS EL AMP II (neutral with sweetness, slightly roll off in the high) or Geshelli Erish

1 Like

Any other Mac user after upgrading to the latest OS, Big Sur 11.3 has occasional drop out on the BF2?

Wow, thanks! I (wrongfully) assumed that the Jot 2 might also be a bit “warm”, but I am glad to know that I was mistaken!

Damn, the wait will be a struggle. :joy:

Thanks, all!

1 Like