Schiit Bifrost 2

Actually I still find the Jot 2 warm, it’s slightly more neutral than A3 but not by a lot

2 Likes

Thanks, @M0N!

As others have mentioned, when balanced the jot 2 is more neutral slightly cleaner leaning, also a good pick, although personally I do think that the rnhp and monotor are a bit higher preforming with a 600 (but the jot 2 preforms much better with planar in comparison to the other two)

1 Like

I just recently Updated to Big Sur from a different OS. It took my laptop a solid week if not a bit longer to get all the updates in place and finally settle down. Yeah I was having all sorts of weird issues and thought i was going to need a new laptop but that is NOT the case, it seems Big Sur takes a while to settle down after an update. At least this was my experience and verified by others on the internet who experienced similar issues. If your problems continue there maybe something else going on in your case.

1 Like

Thx! I’ll keep observing

1 Like

I’d really like some constructive discussion surrounding this…

We don’t know what speakers or headphones he’s using. So it’s possible they aren’t resolving enough for the DACs to matter much. Some time ago I did some A/B testing with the ADI-2 and D50. I couldn’t hear a difference at all when using my HD800S. So his experience doesn’t surprise me. Although maybe I would’ve had a different experience if I was comparing the D50 against the BF2 since the gap between them is larger.

2 Likes

Not just larger, I believe the RME has a similar sound as D90, and D90 should be close enough to D50?

I expect the Bifrost 2 to measure “audibly worse” than the Apple Dongle, but I can’t find ASR’s review on it

1 Like

Not everyone is able to distinguish between Coke and Pepsi in a blind taste test. But that doesn’t mean that noone could be able to.

I have a Bifrost 2 and I very much enjoy how it sounds. I’ve had trouble telling 2 chip-based DS DACs apart, but the Bifrost 2 sounds noticeably, consistently and positively different to my ears.

12 Likes

When I upgraded from a Grace SDAC to a BF2, I absolutely 100% noticed a jump in bass, as well as instrument separation and “spaciousness” for lack of a better word. It was like night and day.

2 Likes

I’m not sure what there is to discuss.
It’s a yes no thing, to you in your system, they either sound different or they don’t.
I personally hear a difference between DAC’s and IME those differences only get bigger as your chain improves.
I will say there is negligible if any difference in FR from DAC’s, which makes quick A/B switching hard to differentiate. Peoples descriptive language is also often misleading, talking about more pronounced Bass when they are really talking about dynamics etc.

Confirmation bias also works both ways.

6 Likes

It better be for a 700% jump in price. :grin:

1 Like

I think this is one of the more difficult things to learn in the hobby. Not only do you have to learn the listen for the differences but you also have to learn how to best describe those differences. Warmth sometimes can be described as full bodied when they’re different things. Also Instrument separation and location which tends to be more of a detail thing can sometimes be confused with staging and depth. So it’s best to double check or clarify meanings.

2 Likes

Coke vs Pepsi are so different, smooth vs bite. Like chip vs multibit/r2r dacs

2 Likes

Coke and Big K are the same :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Long read - but my impressions going from topping D70s → Modi+ → BF2 are in there somewhere:)

3 Likes

I find them to be good with headphones. I find them to be awesome with speakers.

I finally got one!!

17 Likes

is that more schiit behind it with an RNHP I see? Been a bit busy shopping huh? lmao

RNHP + Bifrost 2 + Focal Clear MG is awesome imo

4 Likes

Not really haha. All the behind gear is from 2020. The BF2 is my second purchase of 2021.

@Falenkor my body is ready for the clear MG. But, my wallet isn’t!!!

I am tempted to buy the clear OG with extra pads from headphones.com thought …