Schiit Bifrost 2

My BF2 went out last night. Heard a pop in my cans followed by silence. No relays are switching when I power cycle or switch inputs. I suspect it to be the power supply because the transformer is rather loud now and is causing the case to vibrate slightly.

4 Likes

Darn. Did you leave yours on or turn it on and off with use?

I left mine on and sometimes I would hear relay clicking in the middle of the night while everything else plugged into it was off. I was always afraid it wouldnā€™t work when I woke upā€¦ funny enough it died while I was using it.

2 Likes

Have you contacted Schiit about it yet?

Yeah I filled out the service form, just waiting for an RA number.

Thatā€™s good to hear they are gonna replace it. Hopefully it was just a bad batch of some component.

I think theyā€™re gonna repair it. Highly likely it ends up being the power supply. Shouldnā€™t be too bad of a fix if so.

1 Like

Either way still a bummer that itā€™s gonna be outta commission for a while.

Just saw that Schiit had a couple of Bifrost 2ā€™s on B-stock, so I went ahead and bought one of them.

4 Likes

Two silver ones available 115v

2 Likes

Update. Down to one now.

I have one week with the BF2. Coming from a modius.

• Better resolution overall. With the BF2 the cymbals are always on! ( With the modius when something came to the music it usually takes the stage making yourself focus on one thing at a time, the BF2 everything is happening all the time).
  • Less bass. But, more impact and dynamic. The bass has more quality and texture.
  • Soundstage presentation is better. The singer takes the center, and everything else is well distributed. I am debating about the width. The modius sounds a little wider, but the BF2 has better depth. What I find is that the modius makes guitar and bass guitar bigger on the sides which makes the perception of the taller and wider soundstage. On the other hand, the BF2 sounds smaller but right. Maybe the BF2 is more focus in the center.
  • The BF2 doesnā€™t sound as warm as the modius. I thought I was going to get a similar sound. The BF2 sounds cleaner overall. The clarity is impressive. At the beginning I was overwhelmed, the treble was a bit to much with the t1.2nd. I got used to it and it doesnā€™t bother me anymore.

I have been running it with my A3 and T1.2nd. I plan to try it with the RNHP next in the following days.

Edit: Fixed grammar and added some details.

4 Likes

In my experience after Iā€™ve left the BF2 on for two weeks the sound also changes slightly. It became a bit more fun and alive, so to speak

2 Likes

Yep. I forgot that, the BF2 is more lively than the modius!

2 Likes

Jumping from the $100-200 to the Bf2 really opened my eyes/ears to the capabilities with dacs, and imagine going from bf2 to yggy! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: from now on, dacs and amps are just about equal for me as far as chain importance.

5 Likes

I think DACs will be more and more important as u move up

1 Like

I was finally able to pick up a BF2. Been listening just a few hours. Every now and then I switch back to the SU-9. Itā€™s really hard to articulate the difference, and a quick A/B doesnā€™t really reveal much. With the BF2, I just feel like everything is a little more ā€œaliveā€. With the SU-9, the information is there, but it is a bit flat. Thereā€™s just a quality to the BF2.

Is this what most people experience?

1 Like

Yeah Iā€™d say so, with the more time you spend with it, the more that will be revealed/made more apparent. One of the reasons a quick a/b isnā€™t going to work well right off the bat is because the bf2 is a big step forward in low level information, and thatā€™s super apparent and impactful for long term listening, but itā€™s going to be pretty hard to tell with quick a/b unless you really trained yourself for it (and even then). What I might suggest is just using the bf2 exclusively for a few days, then swapping back to the su9 and see what differences you hear, generally if you spend a few days with a dac and then swap to another one, the differences are made pretty apparent (honestly goes for anything audio).

Also when you get more familiar with the bf2 and what it can do, then I might consider trying to a/b, since imo a/b is really only effective when you have acclimated yourself to what both actually sound like so you know what to listen for (just donā€™t quick switch, that seldom provides any helpful results in these cases outside of minimizing difference imo)

6 Likes

I own both DACs (and many others lol). IMO the difference is huge with my B&W speakers in my living room. The SU-9 is really dark for a Sabre. It has a very nice sound, but nowhere near the imaging and clarity of the B2 (on my equipment). The top end of the SU-9 is definitely not bright and the B2 gives more air at the top. Iā€™ve heard people say almost the opposite of what I just said about the SU-9, but I can only tell you what I hear with my speakers. I really prefer the B2 with my speakers (not very close IMO) but when it comes to headphones it is a different story. I think the SU-9 pairs well with some headphones that I consider brightā€¦think Beyerdynamic for example). I kept my SU-9 because it does have good bluetooth, so I can use it in various ways. I donā€™t use it very often in my main chain. The B2 is a very good DAC for the money.

1 Like

Got my Bifrost 2 in today, which was a pleasant surprise. I hadnā€™t been expecting to get it until Tuesday according to what Fed-Ex tracking had been saying.

Since it was a B-stock unit, I wasnā€™t sure what kind of cosmetic damage to expect, but thatā€™s all I could see. And you have to get the light just right to even see the scratches in the second picture, so thatā€™s not bad at all.

First impressions, listening to it right now, I want to say that I can tell a difference coming from the Modius, but Iā€™m also aware enough of my own inexperience to know that I could just be fooling myself. So Iā€™ll give it some time, between a few days to a couple of weeks and then go back to the Modius and see if my opinion stays the same. Oh, and Iā€™m also somewhat ashamed to say that given all of the cables scattered around that I cannot find a type-B to A anywhere, so Iā€™m currently running from my PC via optical. Though Iā€™ve no idea how much that matters.

6 Likes