šŸ”· Schiit Modius

Wait until that Lokius finally drops.

Check this out:

1 Like

Hi. I just ordered the Asgard 3 and Modius to drive my new dt880 600 ohm headphones. Is the Unison USB better to use to connect to my pc than s/pdif optical? I want to use whatever is the best quality audio. Thanks!

Congrats! Those are excellent pieces.

I canā€™t tell much of a difference between USB and SPDIF on the Modius, TBH. Try both and pick the one you like. On Schiitā€™s higher-level DACs, like BF2, Gungnir, Yggy, the Unison USB comes with galvanic isolation, and that makes a difference. IMO the BF2 sounds much better from USB than SPDIF. But Modius doesnā€™t have galvanic isolation to save some cost, so itā€™s whatevs on that one.

1 Like

Thanks! I think I will try the USB for it. That cable comes with the modius right?

I donā€™t remember. Also I got my Modius second-hand and I donā€™t think there was a cable in it. I think the stock packaging comes with a small power brick and 3 foot micro usb cable, though. But donā€™t quote meā€¦

1 Like

Do USB. Reviews have remarked that it is the superior input on these. Jitter measure on SPDIF was the culprit.

1 Like

Does the type or brand of micro usb cable matter to connect the DAC to the PC? 2.0 or 3.0 cable thickness etc.? I plan to use one to power it and a different one to run to the PC. Thanks!

You only need a micro USB 2.0, Micro 3.0 is actually a wider connector (Schiit does provide one). Also, you only need to use one USB cable if youā€™re connecting the DAC to a PC, thatā€™s specifically how Schiit designed it. The USB power port is only meant to be used if the source is something other than USB.

1 Like

I just bought some regular braided cables. Works fine for me. Iā€™m sure some ā€œsnake oilā€ cable might make one feel better so Itā€™s up to you.

1 Like

Thanks. I do not want to power it from my PC. I would rather power it from the wall. it has both a power usb input and a data input on the back of the modi 3+. Is there any disadvantage to using both?

Thereā€™s nothing in their manual that mentions anything wrong with doing so, though their manual is fairly sparse. I donā€™t know if they have anything in place to stop power from flowing in from both ports simultaneously:

Thereā€™s only one acceptable Snake Oil ā€œcableā€ for a Modiusā€¦

2 Likes

Ha! Nice name :laughing:

Did anyone ever try to take the balanced out of this DAC into SE in of an amp via adapter cable?

If Iā€™m not mistaken, people in SBAF had done that and they noticed that thereā€™s a difference between the SE and Balanced output.

BTW, I donā€™t recommend anyone to do this. If you want to plug the balanced out to a SE amp, you should use a proper converter. You can do it by buying these two things:

Or SBAF also has a balanced to SE converter box project which uses transformer

Or I think @MazeFrame also has a recommendation for which converter to buy.

Yeah thats the other thing I was considering. If there are any problems coming up with the voltage etc.

For that, you need a ā€œlevel converterā€ (or run a passive DI-box in reverse).

Something like the ART CLEANBoxPro makes Balanced to Single Ended (or vice versa) very straight forward (since it has level adjust knobs).

2 Likes

Ah yes that makes sence.

Hello. Can anyone tell me if there is a more pronounced sound difference between the Topping E30 and Modius?