šŸ”· Schiit Modius

A beefed up higher preforming asgard 3 would be real nice as a jot

2 Likes

Asgard 3+ anyone?

2 Likes

I feel like it would make more sense to go for a jot lol, you would be pretty much killing the jotā€™s place in the lineup if you made a balanced asgard, I think if they further improved upon the asgard and made it balanced thatā€™s the play

that contradicts your comment about a higher performing Asgard 3 would be really nice.

and havenā€™t I seen you comment that you think the Asgard 3 is a bit better than the Jot? or is that se only and the Jot on balanced is still better?

That was meant to say a balanced asgard could be the new jot, my bad for the confusing phrasing

I straight up just prefer the asgard 3 to the jot, imo with the performance the asgard 3 has I donā€™t see a reason to buy the jot as imo you are getting an inferior product at time of writing, they really need a refresh

1 Like

It does appear that Moffat and Stoddard are really beginning to figure out their Schiit. The newest Magnis, A3, and Bifrost 2 have been home runs. My guess is theyā€™re in the process of refreshing everything in the order of what they perceive market need to be.

Itā€™s interesting that they didnā€™t target a modi refresh and instead came out with the modius

1 Like

greedā€¦

I kid, but more profit can influence R&D for better product.

but would be good for them to update the Modi 3 for sure.

I get what theyā€™re doing to some degree. Thinking about it more the market is nearly saturated with solid ~$100 DAC options from SMSL, Topping, and now JDS Labs and soon Monolith. The cost/benefit to launch a new Modi may not make sense right now. The Asgard is a really compelling option because there arenā€™t any other class A/B headphone amps in its price range. It filled a hole in the market. This new Modius does similarly. For balanced DACs under $200 thereā€™s the Grace SDAC-B and the Enog 2. The former really is entry level and the ladder doesnā€™t do USB. The Modius comes in and starts competing at a price point that even undercuts SMSL offerings - who had the only options in the $200-300 range. Schiit might, and likely quite accurately, see a hole in the availability of quality solid-state amps that arenā€™t THX in the $300-400 range. They could park a balanced class A or class A/B amp right in the $350 range. That would be enough less than the RNHP or RebelAmp to get attention and be a direct competitor to THX amps.

2 Likes

This is going to be a best seller for sureā€¦$199 for a balanced dac that measures better that the Biftost 2 MBā€¦golly gee batman whats not to like here!!

To think that this is the only product Schiit might coming out with is wellā€¦

The ASR guys are besides themselves, the SBAF crowd is salavatingā€¦you go Schitt upsetting the apple cart once againā€¦

If you told me statements at ASR about Schiit making great stuff, I would have called you a heretic!!

Great time to be in audio land!! Especially headphone audio land!!

Alex

3 Likes

Thereā€™s a Heresy joke in there somewhereā€¦

2 Likes

Grant your a good reader!!!

:>)

1 Like

Jason Stoddard posted this over at SBAF when someone said they were caving into the spec race!!

"To repeat the above sentiments: itā€™s not caving. Our niche has always been fun, affordable products. Thereā€™s no reason ā€œfun, affordableā€ has to mean ā€œonly good-measuringā€ or ā€œonly bad-measuring.ā€

Expect more good-measuring products AND more bad-measuring (or, well, not-so-great-measuring) products from us."

Just watch this space!!!

:>)

6 Likes

Now thatā€™s what I like to hear lol

3 Likes

This looks like a pretty nice Dac for the price but for $50 more you can get the Modi Multibit and I think thatā€™s worth the extra cash. As long as you use quality recordings the Mimby can really sound great. Now if you use tracks where the recording or mastering is sub-par the Mimby will highlight that more than a lot of other Dacs. There music I play on my EL or D50s Dacs that sounds fine but on the Mimby it can sound almost like itā€™s distorted.

Orā€¦ Hear me outā€¦ You can get both the Bifrost 2 and the Modius because Unison USB is amazing and it is cheaper than buying 2 BF2s.

The Modi Multibit might be appealing for some that want a taste of the ladder DAC, but in the space and price there are better options.

2 Likes

It came today, I just hooked it up and, believe it or not, it plays sound!!! Wild!

Iā€™m glad to use this over my ADI2 (returning), it just works and I donā€™t have to mess with I/O settings to avoid clipping :wink:

As far as actual sound quality, Iā€™ll probably have to spend more time with it to really know but I donā€™t notice much difference from the RME which is probably a good thing since I did finally get it set up correctly.

6 Likes

Very curious to hear findingsā€¦

1 Like

So, Iā€™ve only had a bit of time to listen intently, but Iā€™ll say this, this is pleasant. I think this is not as bright as the RME or the modi3.

1 Like

That makes sense. The Jot is due for an update. I had one with the built-in dac, and I didnā€™t really like the sound. Some say that the Jot with the built-in DAC sounds different than the one without. I ended up buying a Lyr3 which sounds much better to my ears. Hopefully, a new Jot is in the works with a similar sound signature.

1 Like