šŸ”¶ Sendy Peacock

Yea just watch his recent vid on the Audeze LCD-X. He did a great job. I will be interested to hear his thoughts and what he does EQ for this headphone.

I think the Sendy Peacock is good (with certain types of music genres)ā€¦ but the more time I spend with it and compare it to the LCD-X and the HE6se V2ā€¦ I am a bit torn. All 3 are different in their own way. Gun to my head I would probably just say ā€œkeep the HE6se V2ā€. I didnā€™t feel this way originally about the headphone though until I did a few of the mods as suggested and upgraded to the Burson Soloist 3XP, it really changed for me.

This is what I would personally do - that sale price was/is crazy.

1 Like

I can testify to your advice with regards to the HE6se V2ā€™s and the iFi Pro iCAN. Hmmmm.

I just posted my review of the Peacock in the Acho Reviews thread:

1 Like

oof

6 Likes

I usually heavily disagree with DMS, but he gave valid reasoning as to why he doesnā€™t like it.

Iā€™m so confused, whatā€™s going on with SIVGA lately? Did they hire a different team of engineers?

Guess my sample wasnā€™t broken, lol.

2 Likes

Itā€™s entirely possible that itā€™s not the same folks who developed the Aiva - this type of thing does happen, although I donā€™t have any explicit knowledge of that in this case.

1 Like

Yea I ended up returning mine a few weeks back seeing as I kept trying to change the sound and justify the purchase. I like the comfortā€¦ but I did struggle with what DMS and Resolved mention about the air gap issue. I did bend them inwards but I was still having problems. Musicteck did work with me on the return and understood my issue with them.

I donā€™t know if Iā€™ve ever seen such a brutal review.

1 Like

yeah, DMS is usually nice about how he criticizes things he hates. he didnā€™t hold much back on the peacocks though. if those frequency response charts are consistent among more samples iā€™m gonna guess that itā€™s just one of those tunings that you have to like. comparing to him hating the gl2k, which stock tuning on is kind of a wreck, i could see hating them for a lot of music but with a little bit of tubes and some old genres i actually found some things i liked with the stock gl2k tuning but it was just horrible for most of the stuff i usually listen to.

I do see the problem in the midrange (based on the FR chart) making DMS hate it that much, in combination with the airgap behaviour (he is very picky about headbands), and resolve as well.

That said, DMS hated the nighthawks a ton and heā€™s straight wrong about that one, but I still respect his views and dont think there are different versions of the peacock, my conclusion is; Idk what im doing here, farewell fellas.

EDIT: seriously the thing that really impacts me is DMS and Resolve liking the Peacock less than the GL2000, I can only think that specific midrange and headband problems made them really dislike it.

Long time lurker, first time poster - I feel like I have to chime in as I enjoy the Peacocks quite a bit. Theyā€™re the most comfortable pair of headphones Iā€™ve tried, but I get that comfort will be different for everyone so not going to judge any reviewer on that.

What I think is an issue here in particular is that reviewers canā€™t really separate their own personal preferences from a more objective analysis of the headphone. DMS for example seems to prefer a more neutral sound signature i.e. the HD6xx or better (more neutral).

These are NOT THAT at all and at this price-point this confuses a lot of people. I totally get why, but at the same time must every $500+ headphone sound essentially the same in order to be considered ā€˜goodā€™?

I am not sure Iā€™d be as glowing about them as Zeos was in his review, but I definitely think theyā€™re worth the price if what youā€™re looking for is a more laid back, warmer sound that nonetheless retains plenty of detail. There simply arenā€™t many of those. Warmer tends to be associated with less detail, less ā€˜fidelityā€™ etc. and I feel these are in some ways succeeding in breaking away from that. They also offer one of the most impressive soundstages Iā€™ve heard, particularly with live recordings.

That being said theyā€™re not for those looking for tons and tons of analytical detail or a brighter sound signature. However a reviewer should be able to look past that and evaluate the headphone on their own turf. As someone who dislikes the fatiguing analysis of most headphones in this price range, I can appreciate them for what they are even if not perfect.

8 Likes

The problem I have with DMS is that most of the time he has a very amateur approach.

I can agree about the part about separating your personal preference and the actual sound signature/performance of a headphone/IEM.

Sivga P-IIā€™s are not my cup of tea because I like brighter and more analytical headphones, but I gave it a positive review because they are good headphones. Thatā€™s the way any reviewer should approach reviewingā€¦ unless they are specifically trying to tell everyone if something meets their personal preference or not (not very useful for the majority of the readers).

3 Likes

I doubt he cares about fame. He owns his own marketing company and works for Abyssā€¦

He has a die-hard fan base like Zeos does, but among forums heā€™s just considered as a kid on the block (no hate intended from my side).

From what I can tell, DMS does YouTube purely for fun. Most of the time he doesnā€™t even receive the headphones from the manufacturer. I think usually he gets them on loan from The Headphones Community or elsewhere.

I think devaluing DMS to just a ā€œkid on the blockā€ is rather diminishing. Heā€™s an audio engineer with a preference towards neutral, thatā€™s not uncommon for vast amount of audio reviewers out there. Josh, Resolve, Crin. They all preference neutrality.

2 Likes

Iā€™m with you on that.

Iā€™m just speaking based on the number of people bashing him in the forums.

1 Like

Looking at the way his content is presented and by the way the videos are cut, I can certainly see where the ā€œjust a Vloggerā€-opinion comes from.

Having more opinions readily available, including negative ones, is in most cases added value to the customer.

Iā€™m not normally one to care about frequency response charts but I gotta say the peacock looks like total dog shit and not a tuning many people would tolerate. I think the outliers would be people that got an off sample that graphs better than what they normally do or people that listen to really specific music that the tuning plays nice with, and people with odd hearing loss. Just by the looks of it, vocals basically have to be totally trash.

1 Like