šŸ”¶ Sennheiser HD58x Jubilee

Hey guys, i got my pair this week from MassDrop and they are just not for me, Iā€™ve emailed them for a return but am not hearing back. if anyone is interested, reach out, i wore them for a total of 2 hours max if thatā€¦

Curious what you do not like about them?

Give drop some time. It took about a week and a half or so for them to reach back out to me for a return on my last product. Will second this question though. What was it that you didnā€™t like about them?

Good to know @Falenkor I was getting worriedā€¦ so I guess Iā€™ve been spoiled by Beyer sub bass and soundstage, this was my first ever Sennheiser listen. Def great for vocals and acoustic stuff like Iā€™ve read, it just doesnā€™t suit my production or listening styleā€¦

1 Like

Yeah, I was concerned about this myself for a while there. They do take a while to respond to really any messages probably more so due to the virus and whatā€™s going on in the world right now.

Hmm, perhaps the Sennheiser HD 558 is more up your alley. Wider soundstage and has more bass to it. Just a friendly suggestion for a budget sennheiser like the 58x. Sennheisers from my experience donā€™t usually have a large soundstage and from my experience are usually very detailed mid-centric with a great balance in the frequency though I have been told after the 660 s it became a bit different.

Ya Iā€™m assuming the same, they got back to me to get my order number but just nothing back for two days (first DROP purchase) .

Ya I literally just wanted to try one, always hear about the 600 from Z and others, just had to try and thought the 58x would be a safe not to expensive in. I produce more electronic now instead of guitar/vocals so I went Beyer (770 80 ohm, 770 250 ohm, 880 edition 600 ohm). I def still wanna try a 600 someday but now Iā€™m gonna try this ā€œgod tierā€ setup Z is hypinā€¦and definitely a 1990 in near future, I just have to know

I mean, I like the 58x but not more than say my HD 598 or HD 558. That smaller soundstage and more neutral bass just isnā€™t in my tastes.

You mean the dt 880 600 ohm setup? That review made me chuckle. I agree that it requires quite a powerful amp to drive it to full potential but nothing so insane as a modded speaker amp. You can drive that headphone with a liquid spark or magni just wonā€™t sound itā€™s greatest. Any higher powered amp should do fine as long as it responds well to brighter cans.

just as a headsup as someone who owns this headphone. Consider getting the Dekoni Elite Velour if you at all have a treble sensitivity. I posted some graphs for it on another forum but heres a copy of itā€™s frequencies with different pads.

balanced in blue, dekoni elite velour in green, analytical in purple as you can see that treble has quite the peak on it

If you wanted a less analytical just pick up the T1 instead. It has a rounder bass instead of the 1990s planar slam like bass and a more fun like presence too it instead despite being a little higher on the treble sharpness though theres a few ways to dial this back quite a bit as well while also being the headphone that responds better to balanced and tubes.

1 Like

Thanks so much for the detail, Iā€™m gonna check out the Senns you mention. Lol it made me laugh as well, Iā€™ve just never seen him so excited so Iā€™m intrigued, Iā€™m gonna have to substitute the Gishelli cuz I need usb (iPad as streamer). I was thinking D50s or e30, still need to researchā€¦

Ok as an owner, Iā€™m going to be using these for mixing and a master check, I live in an apartment so my monitors are never too full for me, and since I dig the Beyer house sound (also watching the TYGRS) I just have to know for myself. Enjoyment will be a second, but will obviously use if I likeā€¦ and Iā€™m going to save the pads you mentioned thanks for that

1 Like

HD 558 if you wanted more bass. 598 really is very similar to 58x just a little less clean and detailed but a larger soundstage imo.

Eh, I canā€™t speak for much here outside of the E30. I use it for my general budget Dac despite having a Bifrost 2 in house. Itā€™s pretty nice for its price. Clean and detailed. Not much to really mention here itā€™s just a very good all round dac.

Not a problem, I get that treble is an issue for quite the many and I do find myself getting tired from time to time with very bright treble so I go out and find ways to tame it if possible. Those dekonis do a great job at it anymore change and I feel though it would ruin the sound try to pair them with an amp that can accenuate the bass and liven up the mids while smoothing the highs if possible. I use an asgard 3 or liquid platinum, though I feel for DT 1990s RNHP responds remarkably well I just donā€™t own it yet.

Perfect will look at the 558ā€™sā€¦at the price for the e30 itā€™s a definite try, I def need a remoteā€¦

Yes I like your idea for the pads, like switching to those for listening outside of mixing/mastering, only amp I have at the moment is the Monoprice desktop THX dac/amp, but Mon gushes over the rnhp so that might be my production amp at the deskā€¦it has been crazy to me to listen to my tracks on Tidal vs Spotify and Soundcloud through the THX, never heard it so cleanā€¦ thanks so much for the knowledge man, I appreciate the time

1 Like

If you just extend the headband and bend the metal parts (ā€¦only the metal parts), more clamping means more sub-bass. These got an impressive amount of sub-bass for open-backs.

If it fails you can squish the pads by putting the headphones on a yoga block or something 1ft wide for a few hours.

For soundstageā€¦ you can try cheap tube buffers.

1 Like

Thank you, Iā€™m gonna have a session tonight with them again to really evaluate after all this convo

2 Likes

When the little one says ā€œ hey what are those? ā€œ

9 Likes

Mine like 'em too

9 Likes

Heā€™s already asked for them lol, gotta start em young

5 Likes

Wondering if the ā€œshoulder-wideā€ soundstage is good or bad for gaming. Possibly good to have.

I got HD58Xs, I just never tried it. :stuck_out_tongue:

Depends I like the 58x over my wider sounding 990s for valorant. It has slightly
Better rear imaging and since valorant can be a pretty fast paced game that narrower Soundstage really help to tell me where shots or footsteps are coming from

2 Likes

So I posted this on Head-Fi a while ago, I did a purely aesthetic mod that doesnā€™t change the sound. I really liked the look of the pre-production 58X before they put in the full foam behind the grill. They only covered the driver with a foam circle before.

If you want to try something like this, here is what I did. I printed out a 40mm diameter circle using this templete: https://www.blocklayer.com/circle-templateseng.aspx
Then, I cut out that paper circle and put some double sided tape on it. Next, I attached the paper circle to the original 58X foam, and cut along the paper circle to make a foam circle of the same size. Repeat again for the other driver. Then, carefully cut out small strips of double sided tape to fill the entire surface of the magnet ring on the outside driver (except for the hole). Also put some tape on the black lip near the magnet, attached to the arm where you put the cable connectors. Put the foam on the magnet right in the center, and gently push the outer rim of the foam circle into the dips of the clear spider cage around the magnet and over the connector arm. You could use some tape to secure it, but I just left it, it hasnā€™t moved at all in months of daily use for me.

8 Likes

Hey,

so I owned the 58x for quit some time now but stopped listening to them after a short period of time because there were just a bit to warm for me.

But before letting the 58x collect dust I thought I am going to try the ā€˜Warmthā€™ adjustment Mod by DIY AudioHeaven.

And holy does this make a difference!

If you want to know what the mod will do just take of the grill and block the little hole behind the driver with your fingers. The lows will disappear immediatelyā€¦ they will vanish way to much so now its up to you to find the perfect amount of airflow to the driver to find the perfect balance of warmth.

Inspired by the AudioHaeven article I went on a hunt of my own for the perfect damping material.
I landed on a similar felt typeā€¦ and now are in love the my 58x.
The mod is ridiculously easy.

All I had to do is getting the correct felt (experimenting wich felt by yourself is quit a lot of fun!) and than just take a piece of double-sided tape, cut it to size so it covers the rear of the driver ā€” for the hole in the middle I used a belt/ hole punch ā€” apply the felt to the double-sided tape. Done!

Everything done in this mod is reversible without any damage to the headphone! I even found the perfect felt (soundwise) for me in blue and redā€¦ now I have indications of L & R as a bonus.

8 Likes

Is the HD58X still a good cop in the current year? or did the 560S completely replace them now?