Share snapshots of your present ENDGAME =D

Went away from hifi back to mid Fi with headphones. Waiting for a estat so I’ll be looking to eventually get another amp.

Only summit headphone I’ll buy again is 1266. For now having lots of fun with nothing more then $500 bucks.

18 Likes

what’s that next to the woo?

1 Like

All of my headphones range from $369.00US to $799.00US. And I am quite happy with them although I do still have a wandering eye (Eventually some Clear’s and a set of GS3000x’s).

3 Likes

Its funny enough but actually feel pretty similar to you , had a chance to listen to some pretty high end headphone and i was “This is great and all but… i like my edition Xs, or my Zeus, or 660s (hell even some cheaper stuff i have is really fun) just as much if not more, so im stay right here”

Took the some budget put into a better amp (the new A90D), still considering what dac to pair it with

2 Likes

Mid-Fi is cool! :grin:

5 Likes

My porta pros are actually still my most used set - I have a porta pro headset with the boom mic which is hooked up to a Schiit Hel on my work computer and thats pretty much what I am on all day every day on calls and frequently for music as well. Always impresses me how great the porta pros sound, even though they are cheap - with the yaxi pads and an amp that has some bass they are really fun!

3 Likes

Time for some updates to the family photos :upside_down_face:

Desk setup:

Still rock’n the iLoud MTM powered monitors. They are quickly falling behind the rest of my setup, but the room correction is a big plus given the less-than-ideal positioning.

Bifrost 2 → Bifrost 2/64. Overall I think this is a nice upgrade. But after a few more weeks of listening I’ll swap back and see if it was really worth it.

GS-X Mini is still a favorite, but wow does it get hot. It pairs well with the BF2, but the BF2/64 adds quite a bit of sparkle to the high end, and on some tracks BF2/64 + GS-X Mini can get a little bright for my taste. But overall I love the very energetic and physical sound of this pairing. It’s definitely the “fun” stack.

Sourcing it all is a RPi4 running Ropieee, going through the Singxer UIP-1. Both powered from an Allo Shanti LPS. This is not setting any world records for greatest digital signal chain, but at least I have some confidence that the USB is reasonably clean coming into the BF2. For PC audio I’m using a Schiit Eitr (USB to Coax SPDIF.) Again, not winning any signal chain records here, but it does the job for YouTube videos and basic PC audio.

Listening Chair Setup:

This is where the money has gone lately! New DAC, new amp, new DDC, and even some fiber networking hiding in the background. Going top to bottom…

BHC still holding it’s place as my tube amp. But as you can see, not hooked up right now. I set it up on my desk or here at the chair when I want some tuby goodness. But it’s not my daily driver.

Violectric HPA V550 is the new big boy in the stack. Just got it today, so not too much to say yet. But look at the big volume knob! How could it ever sound bad? :face_with_spiral_eyes:

Denafrips Pontus II is my new DAC. I absolutely love this DAC! It’s been in the rack for a little over 2 weeks now, and it’s exactly what I hoped it would be. All the fun of the BF2, but with much better tonality, tamber, layering, width, … It’s much more musical than the BF2, but without losing the macro dynamic punch and energy. And it has a killer set of input options, of which I use almost all of them:

• Coax SPDIF from Pi2AES - this is my main Roon endpoint steamer, connected via WiFi.
  • I2S and AES from Denafrips Iris DDC- connected via USB to NVIDIA Shield for TV / movie streaming- absolutely incredible for movie watching!
  • USB from HQPlayer NAA Endpoint (RPi4) - up sampling to max PCM (1,536kHz) and DSD512. Network connection via SGC optical Ethernet media conversion (hiding in the back). USB out from RPi4 is reclocked via Wyrd4Sound USB Recovery (also hiding in the back).
  • Optical from TV / Blue ray player - In the few cases that I’m not streaming, this covers blue ray playback.

All transports are powered by Small Green Computer Linear Power Supplies (as indicated by the blue lights glowing from under the rack).

Headphone Shelf:

Collection has dwindled a bit (made a few key sales to fund other purchases). Fostex TH900 Mkii Pearl White get much of the daily driver use. But the Focal Utopia are always there for my good times listening! HD6xx are the go to for tubes, and just chil’n with the music. And what can I say about the Audeze LCD-2 PF… unique, musical, engaging, full, just an absolute joy to listen to. DT880 600 ohm (mod balanced) not shown here, they are hanging by my chair, because I use them regularly for movie watching - detailed, spacious, comfortable.

Last but not least, the server closet:

Intel NUC running Roon ROCK, handing all music listening. M1 Mac Mini running HQPlayer and Plex Media Server. I drug my feet for the last year on getting a NUC Roon ROCK setup, and I should have done it from the beginning. All playback is much faster, and navigation of my library is flawless. The M1 Mac Mini is a media power house, handing almost anything HQPlayer offers and doesn’t even blink on Plex 4k streams!

Not Shown Here - Portable Setup:
DAP - Hiby RS6 ← fantastic portable R2R DAC… just takes a while to warm up and give maximum awesomeness!
Dongle DAC - Audioquest Cobalt ← super convenient, carry in my bag just in case I need a DAC
IEMs - FiR VxV ← my first true IEM love… but seriously considering going upstream to the FiR M5…
Wireless IEMs - Pixel Buds Pro ← just picked these up, and so far they are solid for all earhole sounds that are NOT music.

Ok, enough hype. Back to listening to music :headphones:

19 Likes

we have expanded…

14 Likes

Added a Mapletree Designs 3x3 switchbox with good quality switches…so I can easily switch from 3 dacs to 3 amps…and added a Schiit Sys to allow a 4th variant if I desire.
In the pix a Schiit Vali 2 + is being compared to a Schiit Magni 3 +.
Fun!

13 Likes

I bought yet another rack. It is a Fitueyes 4-tier rack. Combined with a cabinet that I got from Home Depot, I think I finally have it all together.

13 Likes

Currently no more plans with Woo. I switched over to stereo amps and find cheap chi with mods produce same quality for my music. I’m using two set amps 300b BoyuuRange A50 mk3( modded but not finished)and Sophia Electric baby stereo. I have under 4 grand for everything in the pic. Only thing is background noise for no volume in a dead silence. So mod in silence at some point. It’s a research of tube design that I began learning.

If I do purchase a regular made amp for headphones I’d go with Woo WA234 again.

Below mods on BoyuuRange but not all and pic of the speaker wires is a temp relocation of 25 watt resisort that will cook my components. So they are outside the amp until I order parts to move them away from circuit boards. Parts going inside cost under $50

I have to learn how to measure the circuits live so not to die.

8 Likes
  1. Isolation Transformer!

2. Buy a name brand Multimeter (Fluke, Gossen Metrawatt, R&S, etc.)

3. Use the included test leads (or ones made by other name brands)

4. Use clips/croc probes were possible to minimize actively working on live parts

5. Cover/shield components or assemblies that are not immediately necessary to carry out the measurement. Maybe put on insulating gloves.

6. When handling probes, keep the shields over as much of the tip as possible, handle the probes with one hand to keep your heart muscle out of harms way

6 Likes

So isolation transformer for my hum?

Using a meter I bought off Mac tools made by Blue Point. It’s cool as it measures Hz and capacitors uF. I’d like a fluke with oscilloscope.

I have a cheapy one that does galvanic isolation between input and output side. Could also use a grid simulator or w/e else for mains powered.

Those are pricey meters.

2 Likes

So finished mods on my BoyuuRange A50

This company sucks in engineering.

Now the amp is amazing

4 Likes

Wow! What a great combo this is. The SA-1 gives a sweet flavor as a preamp. The SP200 is a very powerful, very clean, but very flat and kinda boring amp. But when you pair it with a good preamp that can add some spice into the mix - it’s freaking fantastic! As it turns out, the SA-1 is a really nice pre. Now, everything in the system is operational and I have a new sound signature to play with. An even happier camper I am!

7 Likes

Thought I would share the latest, and perhaps the last system update!

As you guys know, I have been looking for a CD transport to add to the office desktop system for a while now. I have been using a little Sony CD Walkman connected to the Aux1 input of my TA-20, and it has been working fine.

So, yeah, it’s working fine. But the sound just isn’t there. This really got brought to light when I connected a CD transport in the bedroom system and got a few sessions in. I needed to do something for the desktop, but I could not find one that had a small footprint and was affordable, so I did the next best thing.

I ended up getting a Sony BDP-BX370 Blu-Ray player with digital audio out via coax. This is a sweet, no-frills little player that fits right under the laptop stand and connects to the coax input of the Bifrost 2. I haven’t been home to take a pic during the day, so this one will have to do for now!

Now this meant that I had to re-cable the PC’s connection to the Bifrost and change it to the optical output of the U2 Pro’s Toslink interface. I was nervous about that at first, because I was afraid that the optical input would not sound as good as the coax input.

As it turns out, the Toslink connection actually sounds a bit better, providing enhanced clarity and a slightly wider stage. And the new player? Playing CDs using this solution is magnitudes better than trying to get by with the little Walkman CD player! And aesthetically it fits right in with the other components in the system. I’m really pleased with the result.

And with that, I think I am done here. The only other piece I could add would be a Lokius down the road. Short of starting to replace components with upgrade pieces, which will not happen for a very long time, this system is what it is. And I’m OK with that.

9 Likes

Over the last couple of months i redid my whole office, some audio some not.
If im at home this is where im spending 99% of my time if not not making food or sleeping

Ive been working my way up ever since i got into the hobby, Lastest thing i got was the A90D (totally worth it :smiley: ) . right now there are some headphones im keeping my eyes on (like the Meze 109) but im holding off for now.

The room has 3 “areas”, the working area (the dual monitor setup), using a topping MX5 along with the Kanto YU4 (passive). fairly light on audio even though i spend my of my time there

The “hobby”, along side my collection its used for some small electronic stuff (among other things making my own cables, failed horribly so far but im learning), painting miniatures and film scanning (im a photographer who also shoots film)

And last the “listening area”, which houses 3 stacks
Warm - IFI zen DAC + IFI ZEN CAN // Linear - S.M.S.L SU-9n + Topping A90D // Tubish - Topping D10 Balanced + Loxji P20 (with some Russian tubes)

25 Likes

Sorted…

Ya i kinda have OCD, but i also make a habbit or redoing my office every year, even if its piece by piece
This was last year, not bad but This is way better :smiley:

5 Likes