Share snapshots of your present ENDGAME =D

Yeah, I actually have been wanting to lean out a bit with my collection and the RNHP + Clears is pretty much perfection for now. So if anything it saves me money… Very happy with it. Still want to try the ZMF phones at some point, but I am feeling pretty blissful with this setup for the time being. =)

3 Likes

What makes the RNHP special?

When I got the D70, it was around $350 used. I don’t really know how much better the D90 would be or if it would warrant the extra cost. Might be something to consider if you want to look into it.

ON paper… the only stand-out spec is the super low output impedance… 0.08 as opposed to 1.0-1.5 of the THX amps. In practice… at least for the Focal Clears, it really opens them up a lot. Pushes the dynamics and treble and bass extension further out. It’s really exceptional sounding… you would just have to hear it for yourself really.

4 Likes

i’m starting to think my amp is fine. maybe its my SU8 thats the weak link. that oluv video is causing me to doubt it. maybe i should just go with a topping D50 and send the SU8 back?

Personally, I think you would get a bigger jump upgrading the amp more than the SU 8, but I could be completely wrong. I don’t have both DACs to say for sure.

1 Like

TBH the t50 is going to preform super similarly to the su8

1 Like

no i think the amp is fine. i just saw zeos review of the RNPH and he didnt think it was any better than a THX amp:

sigh…
lol
20 char limit

1 Like

Being perfectly honest, I don’t think he is that great at assessing an amp, but that’s just my opinion

3 Likes

Yeah I know they’re on the same level but I’m wondering if the su8, for some reason, doesn’t pair well with sp200 amp. I mean what about that vote on the Olaf video?

lol sorry, for me zeos is king. and i got ocd

I mean… I get where you are coming from. I understand you want to go along with what Zeos said… and I’ll note even he said when testing the HD600s that the RNHP was definitely doing ‘something’ that he couldn’t put his finger on…
But REALLY… the ONLY way you are ever going to really know is to evaluate it for yourself.
It doesn’t matter what I say or what M0N says… or what Zeos or DMS or anybody else says.
If you are really interested then just pick up the amp with a good return policy and audition it. It’s that simple… It’s the only way you are ever going to really learn and understand what you like.

It is 100% your prerogative and up to you though. =)

2 Likes

To be fair, I’d take Mon for real life advice when I’m about to spend money on something and Zeos for getting an idea of what’s out there and just general entertainment value.

2 Likes

oh yeah, i know Mon is very knowledgeable and has a lot of experience. what he says definitely gives me pause. but its a lot of money for what doesnt seem to be that big a step up.

I mean really if it’s a money issue, then definitely just chill out with it and take a step back. I mean you got the Aeolus, which I am very interested in and wish I had…
At this point I’ve returned or sold a good chunk of things I’ve bought over the past few months to be able to comfortably afford the RNHP.
The RNHP is likely not going anywhere… it’ll be there in a few months an you can get it then. Or something else might even come around and blow the socks off the RNHP… this shit never ends really.

3 Likes

Olaf’s test is bad for a number of reasons, he’s miking up the output of a DAC, an amp and A transducer which you are then playing back through another DAC, amp and Transducer.
Those sort of tests have very little value.
The transducer in that chain will dwarf any noise from the DAC or Amp

1 Like

21:02 mark, “I think it sounds fucking phenomenal”.

I wholeheartedly agree with this statement. That being said, although I respect most of his opinions, they are in fact opinions and I would love to see him obtain some of the higher end equipment (in this example, solid state amps) for review to have a better baseline.

An example of a “higher end” solid state amp would be this:

SPL (based in Germany) is also a pro gear manufacturer like Rupert Neve Designs that in the last few years has marketed to hifi consumers.
They named their consumer based line “Professional Fidelity”
https://spl.audio/professional-fidelity/?lang=en

In the end you have to take the dive and try the gear out and make an assessment for yourself. Always try and purchase from a reputable seller that has a reasonable return policy (such as the one linked above), that way you’re not stuck with something you don’t truly enjoy.

1 Like

I mean also I can’t stress enough you don’t have to follow every trend and buy every new thing immediately either. If you’re over-spending and it’s getting tight then you’re doing it wrong… Don’t wrack up a bunch of credit debt for this stuff either. Buy used and then resell used if you really want to try things out. And Aeolus with a THX Amp and SU8 is a pretty fantastic setup already… you really don’t need much else.

3 Likes

:flushed:

whew that looks awesome. you see that dial that says “angle”. whats that all about?

1 Like