Shipments received for Vokyl Erupt

Order #116 here, I emailed them around 1 PM EST. No email back yet, but I’m guessing they check emails early morning or late night and then are just assembling Erupts for 10+ hours a day. Hopefully I’ll hear back by tomorrow morning and can report something.

Also, @Sonofholhorse when you get your’s in you should start an impressions/review thread, I think you might be the first person on HifiGuides to receive their’s (other than Zeos, I suppose). I’ll be sure to post my impressions as well :slight_smile:

Got an email from Jude 20 minutes before the most recent update went up. Mine have shipped, they sent out Son’s first since they already had the parts together to assemble and needed some more time to get mine made (since I had no splatter blue). Depending on how their stock of these parts fluctuates, you could have others that get shipped out ahead of you, but not by much (I’d expect less than 24 hours to receive shipment notice). Looking forward to getting mine!

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’m only around 30 places behind you. It will now be a race to see if I get mine before the kickstarter anniversary!

Got my set today. Comes in a box with a very minimalist aesthetic (think JDS Labs), with everything packed into the hardcase inside. I’ll save impressions on sounds for when I’ve put them through their paces and had time to do some comparisons, but I will say, right off the bat (with the perforated pads installed) they smack of quality, are very comfy with the perfect amount of clamp and substantial but light weight. I am very impressed so far by the sound, they seem fairly balanced and are wonderfully wide in the soundstage, with good imaging, too. They’ve been great for both music and movies while I start breaking them in and getting used to them, and I think that they are well worth the wait. The value for what you get at the price you paid (anywhere up to their retail price) seems damn good.
IMPORTANT NOTE FOR ANYONE WHO WILL BE USING THESE ON PC
I missed this in the FAQ, and I imagine other people will as well: in order to use these with the mic on a PC, YOU WILL NEED AN ADDITIONAL 3.5mm SPLITTER THAT IS NOT INCLUDED. If you have any questions on this (or anything else technically-related to the headset), I urge you to vokyl.io and check the FAQ or contact them at [email protected] with your queries. For what it’s worth, I scooped this adapter on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071V61PB8/

2 Likes

Nice. I know you’re not about to pad swap after just getting them, but the reddit poster that reviewed these said they even further improved by putting beyer velour pads on them (with the backings removed). Really exiting to see some impressions finally coming through now.

1 Like

Great to hear, Son! Mine will be here Monday (though crossing my fingers they somehow come tomorrow). Do you have many pads to swap, or a balanced cable you could test them with (if you have the gear to test balanced)? Was thinking of getting a balanced cable for them even though they are 80 ohm just to have a nice custom cable. Also wondering what some chunky ZMF pads could do to the soundstage :thinking:

For a second I legitimately thought you were making him out as your son (Not that having a hifi dad would be any less than great. Certainly make this hobby cheaper to get into to). As for the pads, because the driver is angled, putting angled pad (I assume those are the zmf pads your taking about), could be problematic. The reddit guy told me you get more subbass by feeding it more power, however, it runs just fine off a smartphone.

Unfortunately, I run everything unbalanced (Primarily off of JDS Labs Element or Atom), and I have no other pads on hand that I know will fit (I am also not much of a ‘pad-roller’). I am sure that some of the others getting theirs soon will be able to provide all of the info that you need! I will say, though, that they indeed love some extra juice, so while a balanced source certainly isn’t necessary, I could see it being a good choice.

1 Like

No problem! I have a THX 789, so I’ll hopefully hear from Zeos how they are balanced when he puts out his final review (2.5mm into the cups/CTIA, pretty sure he has a cable that’ll work). I also don’t have a lot of pads, though maybe I’ll try just holding my X2 pads up to the cups if they’re close in size.

Can confirm, a hifi dad makes it significantly cheaper in some aspects, I got both pairs of speakers I own from my dad as well as the amp and preamp to run them, top shelf stuff! I eagerly await my pioneer turntable as well. :smiley:

1 Like

My Erupts are here :smile: I noticed the standard cable (no mic) is a 3 pole as opposed to a standard 2 pole. Can I plug these into my THX 789 through either the 6.3mm or 3.5mm single ended headphone jack or will this just damage my 789 and Erupts?

I have a 3 pole splitter I could use (via V-moda BoomMic Pro) and just use the headphone output, if I need but would be nice to know for the future reference.

You mean 4 pole (3 rings)? My dragonfly red has no issue accepting a 4 pole cable and that does not have some sort of topology that prevent intermission to my knowledge. I think its wired differently from a normal balanced trrrs connector because of the volume adjuster. Honestly though, I really don’t know how it all works.

Sorry, yes I meant 4 pole. I’ll stick with using the splitter for now just in case. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dragonfly red will take 4 pole 3.5mm since it’s more of a mobile plug n’ play dac/amp, so it probably accommodates a wide variety.

I think I understand of it works from some researching. The dragonfly is 100% not able to accept a balanced single from how its contacts are wired (more to the point, it only has 3 instead of the 4 that must be there for balanced to work). Putting a balanced cable into a non balanced input will damage it. However, your cable is not wired in the same way. A 3.5mm trrs cable is generally wired as Left, ground, Right, Ground. Both sides having their own set of grounds it what makes it balanced. The reason it cant work with a non balanced input is the contact point will not line up correctly and it will short out. But cables with microphones or volume inputs like on the erupt, are wired in the exact same why as a normal connector (so right, left, and ground), but as a microphone input on the end. The reason it doesn’t short out is because the microphone input can never make contact with the input. I’m very confidant in saying you fine to plug it in directly, but of course, its your decision.

1 Like

Thank you for the informative post. I knew some about how each pole was wired, but wasn’t sure if the mic pole would mess with the alignment. I found this pic just now to confirm CTIA TRRS just adds the mic pole on the end close to the housing:

I guess in this case since the single ended 3.5mm and 6.3mm are only wired for 3 pole, the mic wouldn’t come into contact with anything once plugged in and thus be ignored.

I’ll try to get some good pics of the build (cables, case, cups, driver, pads, etc.) out in a bit. I’ll start a new thread for impressions and such.

Haha, zeos just came out with a patron post on a gaming headset that has a 4 pole connector, and he plugged it in to the 789 directly. As for an impressions thread. Zeos really should make a official thread for these now. I contacted him on telegram, so I’ll see if he replies.
EDIT: Its here 🔶 Vokyl Erupts

2 Likes

I made the post yesterday.