Shipments received for Vokyl Erupt

Can confirm, a hifi dad makes it significantly cheaper in some aspects, I got both pairs of speakers I own from my dad as well as the amp and preamp to run them, top shelf stuff! I eagerly await my pioneer turntable as well. :smiley:

1 Like

My Erupts are here :smile: I noticed the standard cable (no mic) is a 3 pole as opposed to a standard 2 pole. Can I plug these into my THX 789 through either the 6.3mm or 3.5mm single ended headphone jack or will this just damage my 789 and Erupts?

I have a 3 pole splitter I could use (via V-moda BoomMic Pro) and just use the headphone output, if I need but would be nice to know for the future reference.

You mean 4 pole (3 rings)? My dragonfly red has no issue accepting a 4 pole cable and that does not have some sort of topology that prevent intermission to my knowledge. I think its wired differently from a normal balanced trrrs connector because of the volume adjuster. Honestly though, I really don’t know how it all works.

Sorry, yes I meant 4 pole. I’ll stick with using the splitter for now just in case. I wouldn’t be surprised if the dragonfly red will take 4 pole 3.5mm since it’s more of a mobile plug n’ play dac/amp, so it probably accommodates a wide variety.

I think I understand of it works from some researching. The dragonfly is 100% not able to accept a balanced single from how its contacts are wired (more to the point, it only has 3 instead of the 4 that must be there for balanced to work). Putting a balanced cable into a non balanced input will damage it. However, your cable is not wired in the same way. A 3.5mm trrs cable is generally wired as Left, ground, Right, Ground. Both sides having their own set of grounds it what makes it balanced. The reason it cant work with a non balanced input is the contact point will not line up correctly and it will short out. But cables with microphones or volume inputs like on the erupt, are wired in the exact same why as a normal connector (so right, left, and ground), but as a microphone input on the end. The reason it doesn’t short out is because the microphone input can never make contact with the input. I’m very confidant in saying you fine to plug it in directly, but of course, its your decision.

1 Like

Thank you for the informative post. I knew some about how each pole was wired, but wasn’t sure if the mic pole would mess with the alignment. I found this pic just now to confirm CTIA TRRS just adds the mic pole on the end close to the housing:

I guess in this case since the single ended 3.5mm and 6.3mm are only wired for 3 pole, the mic wouldn’t come into contact with anything once plugged in and thus be ignored.

I’ll try to get some good pics of the build (cables, case, cups, driver, pads, etc.) out in a bit. I’ll start a new thread for impressions and such.

Haha, zeos just came out with a patron post on a gaming headset that has a 4 pole connector, and he plugged it in to the 789 directly. As for an impressions thread. Zeos really should make a official thread for these now. I contacted him on telegram, so I’ll see if he replies.
EDIT: Its here 🔶 Vokyl Erupts

2 Likes

I made the post yesterday.