Shuoer Tape (P1 Killer?)

Well, there’s Schiit audio in the US so… maybe. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

I think the Tapes are fantastic (although I havent tried the P1’s). I found them fatiguing at first however that was only because the spinfits I had on them were constricting the nozzle and making the treble harsher. Once I switched to Spiral dots with the proper nozzle opening they calmed down and aren’t fatiguing. The detail and bass on these are pretty phenomenal for the price but the mids are pretty meh.

2 Likes

舒 耳
show this to her, she will know where my interpretation coming from lol.

Ear is the 2nd word…First word is like Enjoyable, Comfy, Comfortable or Nice … not quite Orgasmed :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

The best P1 compliment i’ve read is on audiophileon, it’s an FH7 review comparison…“In my eyes, the P1 is the absolute best bang for buck earphone on the market. The sound and detail retrieval are outstanding and rival the top end of the earphone market.
I wouldn’t buy the FH7 over the P1 as I think the price and sound are more appealing on the latter

2 Likes

Ok so here goes with this one… I really like and prefer the sound signature of this IEM. It does not sound “normal” in the sense as nothing I’ve heard sounds quite like it, my first experience with anything other than BA, DD or Planar. Also while I prefer the sound, I’ve had 2 others try it and say that its odd sounding and that they prefer the P1. I’m the opposite in that comparison lol.

–Sound/Tips–
I think for fit to reduce some issue I have with fit and a corner of the IEM touching my ear wrong I prefer Spiral Dots, it puts the nozzle very close to your ear canal and makes the sound brighter and more stark sounding overall. For sound preferences I do like the foams some have mentioned New Bees etc. or even the Grey foams that come with the P1. It sounds better balanced for my taste and may help with sound stage a bit, but that could be just my imagination.

Bass is present as other have said, its more enjoyable overall due to this for me out of the box as well. Its not the tightest bass I’ve heard, but it works great to add something down low and is well enough defined that I don’t think there will be many complaints.

Mids sound good to me, but can be seen as a mixed bag. Lower mids are there and well defined, there is no noticeable bloat or bleed to hide them in my opinion. The issue is with the upper mids and its shout. I like mids that can get in your face and by having the elevation it does that with vocals. They are forward in the mix which can be great, and it has so much clarity that some may find it to sound unnaturally clear. It honestly reminds me of my modded hd58x where you dampen the driver to make it sound more 660 like as a reference for some. I love it since it has the ability to resolve the information and is quick so nothing sounds harsh to me, just in your face intense for that one band of vocals etc.

Treble is not sibilant, and is very detailed/fast. You feel like you are getting all the information, its just not as forward as the vocals. For soundstage presentation this is great to me as it adds space and means that complicated music or just really busy tracks have more separation and are easier to track the details you are presented with. Also there is no tinny sound with the timbre of the treble. So, it checks all the boxes as being fast, detailed, present, airy/open sounding, doesn’t sound like its a metal twang lashing your eardrums, and doesn’t assault your ears with ssssssss etc. lol

–Final Thoughts–
While some may not like the shout this IEM has, I do not have an issue with it. I think once and a while its inconvenient with vocals and guitars sometimes fighting for space in the sound stage, but I’m loving what I hear and would not trade this little bugger. I find myself gravitating to classical style music with it like the Witcher 3 soundtrack or finding my best recorded music to bring it to the next level. I can’t recc them enough, just be aware that the sound may not be for everyone as you are getting what feels like a very analytical sound, think more in the vein of hd660 or dt1990.

8 Likes

Just bought these new for $54 and I feel pretty f-ing good about it :smiley:
I wanted to hear what better-than-average soundstage sounds like and I’m hoping these deliver (I think the widest I’ve heard is the KSC75 with the Yaxi pads)

Whaaa? Where? :no_mouth:

On Linsoul, they had a limited amount of black friday discount cards that went yesterday. You pay $50 for a $100 gift card + I had a $20 unused linsoul coupon I hadn’t spent. the Tape is now $124 on linsoul so that adds up to $54 (and it’s even funnier because the order technically lists the total price as $4 because the of the $124 discount haha) :slight_smile:

bottom line, it’s sometimes worth it to hold on to your coupons :smiley:

8 Likes

I like your view of the Tape, I understand everything you mentioned and appreciate the thoughtful representation. I love them, but I hesitate to recc them only because it’s not one of the safer choices.

They are easy to over hype because they offer something unique and with the right type of music can be glorious, but at the same time, they can be overbearing in certain aspects to where expectations are not met.

These offer the best experience when you crank up the volume, but that is when some of the unbearable “shoutiness” arrive on certain tracks. When you lower the volume, you loose it’s awesomeness. It’s hard to find that balance with these, but these are great when you do.

Yepp absolutely, I recc cus I like, but yea I had to throw in regarding others opinions in my immediate circle. It is the best with certain types of music, but yea once in awhile it throws me off lol. Thanks! :slight_smile:

Just ordered a pair of FH7’s…now listening to Band of Gypsys - Jimi Hendrix my P1’s driven by an ifi Micro iDSD and damn that’ll take some beating…might add a tape into the mix?

4 Likes

$110 on Massdrop
SHIPPING
Estimated ship date is Jan 7, 2020 PT .

2 Likes

I’ll just patiently wait for a shuoer tape 2 without a 4khz mountain…

3 Likes

Actually, so far I haven’t heard anything overbearing with my Tapes. They are f*&#in’ amazing and chill - the soundstage, the imaging, the warm details… I enjoyed even gaming with them. Truth be told, P1 killed my ears too many times with all my favorite songs (pretty much all types of music, except metal). I’m not talking about just the nature of P1 that it is harsher in general, I’m talking about some pikes that were just overbearing. That’s why I listen to my P1 with just a bit lower volume. I dunno, maybe I’ll find a song that will hit the exact problematic pike of the Tapes soon.

Finally my Tapes arrived that I ordered in the 2nd week of Oct. Initial impressions, Not a P1 killer. I like OH10s pleasant signature and when need details P1 and I dont feel this is the best of both worlds. May be Tape 2 will get it right. I am not a basshead but the bass in OH10 is presented so well and enjoyable but not so in Tape in my opinion.

Update : Definitely not for my playlist (Indian music and some jazz and vocal centric). Gets on my nerve quickly but the comfort and fit is amazing… Disappointed but hope I find the right songs for it

4 Likes

Nothing kills P1, I use them for mixing, but they are just a bit boring for just pleasure listening. Even piano has low tones that need the better bass extension of Tapes, comparing to P1. But true, OH10 could have a better bass than Tapes, I haven’t tried, even though I wanted to. I was choosing between OH10 and Tape and the Tapes are roughly 80 bucks cheaper for my region, which won me. Considering the Tape’s price, they perform very good.

good on u, cool that u r happy with the purchase

1 Like

People who r not happy with the Tape’s default sound signature and correcting with EQ can u pls post ur eq settings

Surely that’s a personal thing?

1 Like