Shuoer Tape (P1 Killer?)

To me its bassier than a Kanas Pro and airier and than the P1. And the latter is a problem to me, since it makes a lot of vocals sound like a mariah carey track. So I get where people find it fatiguing for long listens.

On some tracks the bass is really bit more than I like: Speak to Me from the Darkside of the Moon, Team - Lorde, Dreaming of the crash - Intertstellar OST to name a few. I dont think its adding extra bass, it just seems more emphasized when the bass hits. and for some songs its also a bit much. Maybe I need to get used to it.

It definitely has its own place as it shines great when Iā€™m on orchestral type music. It does sound like a bigger soundstage (but not by a large margin, but you can tell it is) than a P1 but also sounds a bit further away which is a good thing for me.

Getting one in tomorrow, I hope it lives up to the hype.

mine is also coming in tomorrow, looking forward to it. Chose this over the P1 and FH5 as my next IEM purchase. Looking to keep it in my rotation as a aggressive fast pair which I hear it does very wellā€¦

I need to stop buying IEMs lol but alas Iā€™m already considering the Rai Solo

1 Like

Just got mine. They definitely sound good with Metal and effortlessly keep up with fast technical tracks. Separation is the best Iā€™ve heard. Maybe the timbre of certain instruments doesnā€™t seem quite right? Might just be my head trying to adjust from nothing but Verum 1 for the last two months.

2 Likes

I feel a bit disappointed. I spent quite some time listening to these off and on, but Iā€™ve got them boxed up now for return. The treble is too much for me and I find these fatiguing quite quickly and I mean like in a matter of minutes, almost headache inducing level. I donā€™t find the P1 fatiguing at all really, either. It also has a fairly unnatural quality to the sound too sometimes, that I canā€™t quite put into words. Definitely not a P1 killer, to me. Oh well. Iā€™m happy for the people who enjoy them.

2 Likes

I can understand that. Initially certain songs jumped out at me with the treble/vocals when I first heard them. I may be have got used to it or I mentally chalked it up to it being an electrostat, but I understand that sound not being for everyone.

I also noticed a huge differences using an amp vs direct connection to a phone/PC, as I felt it was more noticeable when connected to an amp.

Hopefully you arenā€™t out too much for the return.

1 Like

Definitely a fatiguing listen, theyā€™re so aggressive and at times it feels like Iā€™m being stabbed in the eardrum by the treble, but the detail is stupid good. believe it or not you actually get used to the piecing treble after a while and every so often this pair will give me chills on the right song.

Not gonna be for everybody though, some people will not be able to get pass the sharpness of the initial listen. As for me I think I will be keeping this set for when I want to just be assaulted by sound and detail.

I do want to say itā€™s only certain songs and vocals that really fuck you up with the treble, itā€™s not all the time.

1 Like

I agree, this is more of a sniper IEM than a shotgun. If only the P1ā€™s I got werent killing me with electricityā€¦ :slight_smile:

Anyone get to try these out for gaming?

1 Like

After spending some more time with these the past two days and burning in over the last few nights, I have to say that a lot of the fatigue and sharpness has settled down for me. whether that is because of of the burn in or just my brain and ears getting used to the sound is up for debate, but it has improved. With that said they can still get somewhat painful with certain vocals (mostly high pitched female vocalists) but that is a rare occurrence.

The detail on these are truly spectacular, with a very big soundstage and great punchy bass and really excellent subbass. The treble is sharp but not painful (most of the time) and just a tad of sparkle that really makes these a fun listen. Musically these are very enjoyable.

1 Like

When I got these intiailly, I didnā€™t like them, they were too aggressive in the treble region and funny tonality to the mids. Then I did some mods to it and now I am really enjoying listening to them. Probably biggest thing was to invert the tips, giving a wide bore nozzle with good seal. Next was to put soke tape over the port (on the ear side), this helps improved the tone of the mids and increase the bass a bit. Then put some 4mm foam behind the grill, which helps tame the highs slightly (there is scope to reduced the highs further through eq if desired) . I much prefer the tonality now at the slight expense of soundstage. I also think in stock form, thereā€™s a risk of over transparency using a balanced cable and clean dac/amp so at times a lower quality source is more enjoyable.

So I checked the online store here in my country, and itā€™s good that the Shuoer Tape is available here. Also they are much cheaper than the P1s here, because I can buy the P1s as well but they are more expensive at $171 while the Shuoer Tapes here are at $144. I would like to buy both but sadly I donā€™t have the financial stability to go for both yet.

If you can only get one and detail retrieval (in both the highs and mids) is more important than bass, get the P1. If you are willing to sacrifice some detail for bass, get the Tape. Also if you donā€™t have a powerful amp the Tape are probably better since they are easier to drive.

Ok so I didnā€™t jump on the P1 hype train earlier because Iā€™m generally not a fan of intense & narrow stuffs, but I recently got linsoul store credit & am considering either getting the P1ā€™s or the Tapes. I have my OH10ā€™s & T2 for general laid back sound so Iā€™m not really after anything wide or necessarily bassy. I have some portable amps so donā€™t think power will really be an issue.

Iā€™m leaning to the P1ā€™s for detail, but would most of you guys agree that it is the more fatiguing of the 2? If so how much more? I get that they both can get fatiguing at times.

I thought the Tape was fatiguing as hell but I donā€™t get that with the P1 at all. If power isnā€™t an issue I think it makes more sense to get the P1.

4 Likes

Almost Bought the P1 for 135$ on ali but after Monday they went back to 150$ so lets hope they live up for the hype.

If you already have the OH-10 then get the P1. The highs, especially above 10k, are great and the mids are superb. I personally donā€™t get why zeos and bggar say the Tape has more detail. The detail is still great but the P1 has this air to it that is crazy. As a bonus I never find the P1 to be harsh in the highs unless the song is recorded that way and if the bass is too light for your taste just cover the front port (the one next to the stem).

2 Likes

^^^ X2ā€¦ the P1 is never fatiguing 4hrs + listening for me if anything the longer you listen the more you become accustomed itā€™s speed and itā€™s mids retrieval and pinpoint presentation, Bass is never gonna win over bassheads but with correct fitting tips itā€™s fast, tight and doesnā€™t bleed into the mids, trebles are never sibilant with a quick decay, cymbals sound great and at itā€™s price point is about perfect for me :+1:

2 Likes

Agree on that. Neither P1 nor Tape is fatiguing for me though. Details wise canā€™t really decide the winner, both are great. I think details wise P1 has an edge on upper bass and mids while Tape takes the highs.

Iā€™d like to report that the fatigue I was originally experiencing on the tapes has completely disappeared, either I got used to it or burning them in over the last week relaxed them (or both).