šŸ”· Singxer SA-1

Ive seen nobody suggesting that he singxer is on par with the Magni Heresy or that they have similar sound signatures, so im currently going on the assumption that something is bottle necking the SA-1. Have seen some reviews directly comparing the Magni and SA-1 saying there is a clear difference.

Iā€™ve heard there is very little difference between DACs once you hit a certain thresholdā€¦ does the Modi just not hit that threshold? Could something else be limiting it?

Whats your source right now?

Using Spotify premium on my PC, connected to the Modi via USB.

PC volume at 100%?

Ranges between 50 and 90%ā€¦ let me check if that has any noticeable effect

ā€¦ tried with PC volume at 100%, using the 1/4 input with the grado hemps, going back and forth, and if thereā€™s any difference at all, its subtle enough that im not sure it exists.

ā€¦ im using an rca spliiter going from the modi to SA-1 and Magni Heresy. Iā€™d assume this isnt ideal, im just doing it for testing purposes

Well you want your signal as strong as possible without clipping. I keep signal fixed at 100% and I recommend you doing so as well to avoid degradation in sound.

Just drop the rca spillterā€¦

To be clear, I did not start using it with the splitter, I set it up that way when I started to question if it was actually doing anythingā€¦ but i just switched it back to no splitter for science, while listening to the same song (Ariel Pink - Baby) and im still not sure it sounds any different. /shrug

The SA-1 is largely neutral. So Iā€™m not surprised it sounds similar to the Heresy, if using low impedance mode. Itā€™s more of an upgrade in technical performance. But some have found it necessary to do the jumper mod to make it perform at its price point. Scroll up in the thread for details. I sold mine before I knew about it.

Hmm yeah i saw the modā€¦ voids the warranty though, so im hesitant.

Gotta ask. How can they tell if you did the jumper mod if you remove it if anything goes wrong? Might be a little immoral but if their amp fails im sure that mod is most likely not the cause.

Havent looked at it myself but thought i heard someone say there is a ā€œvoid if removedā€ sticker over one or more of the screws you need to remove to get in there.

Ah. Gotcha.

You know you can buy those stickers on the interwebs?

I did not, but that is the type of ingenuity im all aboutā€¦ you got a link to the singxer ones specifically?

Nope. I donā€™t own a SA-1 and donā€™t know what stickers are on it.

The problem is with your Grado Hemp headphones. They have such a low impedance, and are so easy to drive, the amplification isnā€™t even needed. You could probably drive them with an iPhone. Grab a ZMF, Sennheiser 600/650/800/800S, etc. and then do your comparison.

Hi, as any of you tried the SA-1 with sensitive IEM like the Campfire Andromeda ?

I think Currawong and Max Settings said it was fine but they are the only two sources I found.

Havenā€™t heard much more about the jump mod. Anyone else about to speak about the reported difference?

1 Like

I am curious about it as well. I just got my SA-1 and so far it has been great. I am not too hip on digging into it unless the improvement is significant enough to even risk it.