Smsl SP200 THX AAA 888

Hey, I’m going from an R2R-11 to this and I realized i will no longer have the option to quickly switch to speaker output anymore. Are there any convenient ways to do this when the amp itself doesn’t? I would like to have a physical switch so I won’t have to select outputs in windows

Right. So I’ve started to figure out the 560. And in some ways… it’s a revelation.

My ears are kind of used to a mostly neutral, but slightly warm, tuning. That’s what I had with the HD6XX, and my other point of comparison was the E-mu Teak, which I found to be a more V-shaped tuning with punchy bass. The 560… is not that. It’s a more neutral tuning that’s… dare I say it, analytic?

There’s something about this combination of the THX amp and the 560 that just makes it an out and out detail king. I hear things in my music that I didn’t hear before. Is it an all-rounder… I can’t say that. To my ears, songs that are bass-heavy sound mysterious, and not always in a good way. Maybe it’s just the songs that I like not always being recorded well. But, for more balanced tracks - they are goddamn amazing.

2 Likes

You could get an input switcher box or if you need volume control a monitor controller

Yeah, it’s just an interesting headphone that can be pretty enjoyable with better amps. They actually get kinda warm and fun on a warmer amp too. Just very amp dependant. Overall you think it was worth the wait?

I certainly think it was worth the wait. Worth the money especially because I essentially had to overpay for the damn thing because of the RMA/out of warranty… I’m not so sure. The sound in and of itself is interesting, I just wish it was made by a company with better QA.

I guess I have had good luck with hifiman, and am kinda trusting of their stuff (enough to pick up the Shang lol). I do wish they would improve though. That being said their current sundara has less issues, but I personally believe the he560v1 is the better headphone (if you power it right)

Do you have any suggestions? I’ve never looked at these. It would be USB input, then output to both an SDAC => SP200 (USB into SDAC?) and powered monitors, so only the monitors would need volume control, headphones would be controlled with the SP200

So you could get something like the jbl nano patch + and a rca splitter splitter (you would also have to get some rca to 1/4 inch ts adapters as well) and that would do the job imo

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019ZQS4N4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_9hP2DbDKT4YC1

There are other ways if this wouldn’t work, but I think it would be the most convenient.

Also instead of the 1/4 inch adapters and the nano patch you could get a fostex volume controller
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0058B1T4M/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_pjP2Db0AGMSDZ

Maybe I don’t understand this but where along the line do I switch between outputs here? Neither of the ones you link have any buttons, just volume controls?

Doesn’t it have to be something like this?

I don’t necessarily need to use the sdac – if some other dac has the option to switch like this and also feature a volume control for the powered speakers that would be a great option

I believe it would be DAC ----> Switcher -----> SP200
________________________________|-----> Volume control —> powered Monitors

There is not a switcher with my setup, it would split the RCAs from the dac to the speakers with the volume control and the headphone amp. No need to switch anything

You could do that, but it would cut the power in half from the line out of the DAC, wouldn’t it?

Not really no. You can pretty much split a line level signal 2-3 times before there is any realistic quality loss. If you were really worried about it, you could get a schiit sys or jds ol switcher instead, but then you would have to max your volume on the sys or ol switcher when using headphones and remember to lower it when using speakers

well probably worth a try. =)

Yeah, if you split a signal like 4 times passively you might run into issues, but really it’s no problem splitting into two

Any idea if the schiit sys can work in the reverse orientation that it’s intended to? 1 dac input, 2 switchable outputs?

1 Like

Yeah, you can run it any way you like. It’s just a passive box so there’s no problem

hmm. interesting. what if you connect the dongles to the passive damps with a reverse flux pentimeter?

Figured that. Just wasn’t 100% sure because they have them labeled in and out. May take advantage of that ability.

Sp200 is now being fed with the xlr out from RME, so I’ll be able to directly compare the EL amp to the sp200.

I have the sys and the ol switcher, the ol switcher I use strictly as a volume control for my sub, so basically right now I have my rca signal going from RME>>EL amp>>minidsp hd, then channel 1 & 2 outputs going to emotiva a100 and channel 3 output goes to the ol switcher and then out of the ol switcher to the sub, so I can adjust sub level independently if I want to. Really enjoy this functionality.

But I also have the sys not being used currently, so knowing I can use that in the opposite direction than what they label means I can get another amp and use that to split the RCA out of the RME. Awesome.

1 Like

Alright, cool! Thanks for the replies and for the links.