So, what next? Looking for new headphone DAC/AMP advice

I guess I need those 250Ohm Beyers next… Oh god.

Interesting how you like the 80 ohm version of the 770. I couldn’t stand the 80 ohm version, way too much sharp sibilance in the treble that hurt my ears and the bass felt uncontrolled. I much preferred the 250 ohm version, it sounded much tighter and detailed, with less sharpness.

By all means, if you are not satisfied do return the unit after a few days, you don’t want to keep something if you are not satisfied with it

Honestly, I don’t know much different at this point. My wife bought these for me years ago and to me they’ve always sounded great.

Also - Sibilance. I never knew what this term was - but there are some people who make those high pitched noises with their teeth with Ess noises, and fuck me it makes me want to punch their teeth out.

1 Like

Another combo that might be interesting would be the DT880 600 ohm and the Fiio K5 Pro amp.
Or, if you want to try something that sounds much more different than your current setup, that has its own unique sound, you could try the Audioquest Nighthawk Carbon. They are my favorite headphones.

That is sibilance lol, the 80 ohm may emphasize these noises

The 880 600 ohm is awesome if he didn’t need closed or isolation, same with the nighthawks

Yes, must be closed - it would be for an office environment where this setup is going to get used the most.

Yeah I think something like the 770 250 ohm, aeon 2 closed, 177x go, focal elegia, or campfire cascades would be what you want to look for imo

1 Like

Focal Elegia - £967
Campire Cascades - £775

Holy mackerel

Ah yes that’s right not us lol. Hmm I thought the elegia was getting cheaper over there too

Well I’m happy to drop £100 on more Beyers though.

Since somebody else mentioned it first, I can also +1 on the Nighthawk Carbons on sale right now. It will be a much smoother experience than those Beyers, although it does have a very different sound. Although, maybe you are looking for something that sounds different.

Very true, I just worry about leak since I can’t recall if he said open office

It makes me want to pull my eyes out. Yes, indeed I am in an open office.

2 Likes

Oops, =/. Best of luck on your search

Yeah, it sucks, at least I am only in the office 3 days a week. Working from home is nice.

Also, maybe another odd recommendation especially since you like most of your tuning but small tweaks in others, is to try out the Schiit Loki?
Some people are fairly anti-EQ. I have one and it’s nice to make those small real-time tuning fixes (such as the treble that you mentioned) while leaving everything else the same.

Interesting suggestion. I think the 250Ohm phones are the next step.

1 Like

You should be able to get away with a 600 ohm 880 or 990