đŸ”¶ Sony IER-Z1R

Just listened to the most honest, resolving and entertaining replay of Pink Floyd’s Dark Side of the Moon on my source ever with this set
 fucking :heart: 'em.

Oh and @M0N 
on The Great Gig in the Sky I can clearly hear Patricia Watts saying ‘I never said I was frightened of Dying’ :+1:

4 Likes

I’m glad you got to meet your hero. Sounds like the two of you are getting on better than famously. :wink:

1 Like

Funny how we enjoy different things @Pr3ssAltF4 he’s selling his Andro’s because "they are definitely a bit overhyped" I’ve just swopped over to my Andro’s from the Z1R’s and listening to “The Cowboy Junkies” with them on the iFi Micro, SpiralDot tips and the Forza Hybrid cable they sound dope so :man_shrugging:

PS ob’s still have a :fire: for the Andro’s lol

Lol, yea. I heard the Z1Rs also. Definitely not my thing. Andros sound great, don’t get me wrong, but they fall by the wayside in comparison to the other stuff and don’t quite deliver what I want. Like I can’t give you any flaws with them, just that they lose out in at least one area to literally everything else (but are never slacking in that category either). I’ve heard quite a few similar opinions on them as well.

Was running them via QP1R, QP2R, Hugo 2, Ares II + RS-08, which are all pretty synergistic for them. Used fancy capistrano cable and the default smoky litz. Final, symbio, spinfit single, and spinfit double flange. Nothing really made them stand out, they just sounded pretty good all around. There’s a difference between pretty good and phenomenal though, I think the Final B3s are phenomenal with the right pairing, andros are just pretty good all around.

1 Like

Mate I couldn’t get any of the two types of supplied Sony tips to fit, they’re both too shallow?..looked side by side with the Spin’s and the Spin’s are a tad longer but the same sort of width though
If I had bought the Z1’s and only had the OE tips I’d not be happy
How ever Spin’s and Spiral’s work and fit great
didn’t really like the finals on them though.

This is exactly what I needed to know. It continues to back up my assessment that Spinfit tips are the best silicone tips available. I don’t know what I would do without them. I certainly wouldn’t have the IEM collection I do since they enhance the sound of the IEM, they easily fit & seal better than any tips I’ve tried (some won’t seal at all), come in a great assortment of sizes and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. If I hadn’t found Spinfit tips, I probably would have given up on IEMs all together by now.

Spinfit tips were my gateway drug into IEM addiction. I need to go into rehab.

This advertisement was NOT paid for by Spinfit tips. Believe it or not. :wink:

2 Likes

The OE cables are surprising comfortable and fit well
in pictures they look like bent coat hangers lol
they can be slightly microphonic but it’s no biggy
in fact this IEM and all the accessories look like they’d survive a nuclear blast tbh :+1:

3 Likes

After living with the Z1R’s for a couple of weeks I have to concur with Chris when he says
Legit end of road set, save up, buy it, enjoy the music.

It’s now really hard to reach for another set tbh
saying that I do still use my Andro’s for vocal centric and acoustic stuff and the Vega’s for EDM, D’nB etc when i’m in the mood
but dang I could happily live with just the Sony’s, I’m so happy I had the courage of my convictions to grab this set
 not cheap I know but they sound better than 10 x $200 sets which took me a while to learn lol.
If anything else changes then a new source might be on the cards when my wallet recovers
Thank you Sony and @hawaiibadboy :beers:

11 Likes

Cables made in China?..

2 Likes

Says nothing on other side

3 Likes

Different shaped box too

The one I had was this style of box. Not sure about the cable though.

1 Like

Oh no
my bad, i keep my Z1R in the EX1000 case and EX1000 in a big pelican case cuz it’s mini XLR term and i keep 3.5/2.5/4.4 all with it

1 Like

Just checked and the 4.4mm ended cable and that has the same on the splitter so I’m guessing Sony now source their cables from China for this set and my have all along?

Another good Z1R review

1 Like

I am planning to purchase the Sony Z1R in the future, for now i’m looking at buying a DAP.

Which DAP would be good match for these IEM’s?

My choice would be the Cayin N6ii with it’s option to swop motherboards offering you different types of playback and outputs 

1 Like

Agree with @Ohmboy. They pair well with the N6ii. Also the WM1A or the WM1Z! Both of them are goodies!

1 Like

Thanks for both of your suggestions @Kad998 and @Ohmboy

Will the 1000$ players will scale well? I am looking to save anywhere i can. Will the hiby r6 pro/ fiio m11 pro be a definite step down? If the item’s pair really better with the 1000$ players i will save up for them.

Edit: adding the ibasso dx160. All these players are well reviewed in their price bracket. I doubtful about how much the price jump brings to the table.

I would also look for a lotoo paw 6000 if you aren’t interested in the modularity of the cayin, very sweet player. And of course the wm1a is a very solid pairing with the z1r

Personally I really wouldn’t skimp on the source gear, while the z1r aren’t the pickiest, they do scale fairly well and you can get a fair bit more out of them compared to something like a dx160 2020 or m11 imo

1 Like