SPL Phonitor XE

They make a mini mk2? I only thought they made the mini and the mk2 as separate components. (I have the mk2 not the mini)

Oh sorry - was on the wrong product- browser on the phone had it still open from yesterday after the call…
Read all on the homepage from front to back:)

isn’t this still in prototype status? or Beta status?
Sorry going off topic like crazy

Correct, that was an amp I demoed these on

1 Like

This could be a interesting topic for itself

1 Like

Giova, fantastic review. Thank you for taking the time.

And thank you for accounting for human fallibility in your review. It lends weight and credibility to your analysis.

2 Likes

Excellent review!

Your currents finding are in line with the few I’ve communicated with who’ve listened to both amps for an extended period of time.

There are imo immeasurable nuanced differences in sound that our ears do perceive. Something like decay comes to mind. These ‘things’ have become the main differentiators for me when comparing headphones, amps, and dacs when tonality is even.

Thanks again for the time you’ve taken and for the great information.

3 Likes

The RNHP would probably be a nice compliment to the Phonitor. I’m saving for mine (Phonitor X), and I’ll be keeping the RNHP. I know a few people who want to add an RNHP that already own a Phonitor. That says a lot about the Neve.

4 Likes

My RNHP is coming in tomorrow or Monday and I’ll go visit a music store next weekend which also has the Phonitor on display. Can’t wait to first hear the RNHP and give my opinion on both of them and how they compare!

3 Likes

Curious on your thoughts, hopefully you like it :+1:

1 Like

I’m telling ya, it’s hard to use another amp when I do studio work, although that mz3 may take it’s place but who knows lol

My first impression of the RHNP was like

7 Likes

Those MZ3 are beautiful. I’m currently using a phonitor E thru a Rme Adi-2 DAC. Super clean and detailed. If I had the money the MZ3 would be on my list too.

1 Like

nearly $4k for the MZ3… wow. lol
That little brick is no joke.

2 Likes

Well it sounds the part tho lol

2 Likes

I really need to take a trip to a show at some point to try some of this really high end stuff for myself. haha

LTA gear is always reviewed with high praise, but definetly high membership fees lol. Regardless I will own one day.

I was very interested in the MZ2, but I seem to have exploding options when it comes to my next HF amp.

1 Like

Technical question. Unlike other situation where wattage goes up as impedance goes down, the phonitor doesn’t. See below. What is causing this?

Or I should say, is it something unique to the phonitor, or is it just my ignorance all things engineering?

Max. Output Power (at +30 dBu @ 1 kHz)

• 2 x 1 W at 600 Ohm impedance
  • 2 x 2 W at 300 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 3.7 W at 120 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 2.9 W at 47 Ohm impedance
  • 2x 2.7 W at 32 Ohm impedance