SPL Phonitor XE

Yeah, I can see this SPL holding on to at least $1000 for some time. And I can see it getting a bit more popular over time. IMO $1700 is really stretching it’s value, but $1000 or close to it is definitely a good price for it, IMO.

2 Likes

I think SPL is very underrated still and to me is some of the best gear out. I love my Spl phonitor E and had no issue with the asking price. I’d personally rather save a little more and buy exactly what I want then try to settle and potentially not be completely happy. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

Solid idea, then you can focus your attention on more headphones lol

2 Likes

Really, theirs been little motion in the tech or designs in high end amps in decades. Various designers put value on different aspects of design but there are a lot of different paths to great amplifiers

The recent focus on THD and how amps measure has had a positive effect on the lower end stuff. THX is obviously the poster child for this.

It’s hard to explain what the differences are if you haven’t heard higher end amps, you’re paying more for discrete designs, with worse measurements, but the difference can be quite significant, if you’ve found a headphone you really love the right amp can make them sound significantly better.

2 Likes

So is the DAC in your amp totally worthless? Its probably still under warranty. Even if it was a floor model maybe you can send it in and get it fixed?

The feed-foward feedback design the THX amps are using have apparently been around for a while too… I googled and found this article from the 1990s.

There were shipping amps with similar FF designs in the 80’s.

But isnt there a chip THX designed that does its magic?

Nah, it wasn’t supposed to have a DAC to begin with and was priced accordingly. I wouldn’t say totally worthless either, it just has reversed left and right stereo.

1 Like

I mean they probably polished and iterated on it, but it’s definitely not invented from the ground up.

If you read the atom vs sp200 thread there is more discussion on the thx amps and their shortcomings

I mean, personally, I feel like the 789 and 887 (I think the SP200 is compromised a bit with QC and build/quality issues… like the volume knob and seemingly inconsistent quality) are still very good amps for the price. They output a ton of power and relatively clean sound. It’s hard to knock it. But after trying the RNHP and especially the Phonitor E, it’s easy to see you can do better, even with a design aiming for a clean, linear sound without coloration.

4 Likes

:100:
Take your time and do it right.

2 Likes

yeah, I will say this amp is definitely worth saving up for either way, even at the MSRP. It’s really such a clean and articulate sound, it’s hard to comprehend it getting much better. I’m definitely more open-minded about it now, but I’m very happy and ready to settle on this amp for the time being.

4 Likes

Yeah, used to be really into the numbers of stuff, distortion and stuff and thing having to sound linear for “perfect sound reproduction”. Kinda changed my mind though when I started with tube amps and especially modding them for more power and higher part tolerances as well as generally reducing noise (especially in amps like the Darkvoice and other cheaper amps in which tube rolling presents a few noise issues).

Idk for things like the HD600, which while not being that high end anymore, still sound really good but a bit narrow compared to my T1s, but tubes just give it so much more life and better sound stage, besides more variety in sound with a bit of tube rolling, even though fully tube amps are technically on paper worse than stuff like THX amps. I mean I had the 789 and the Darkvoice, but I’d listen to the HD600 on the tube 99% of the time rather than the 789, even though the 789 is again, technically superior in a lot of ways (well except power output, idk after increasing certain parameters by decreasing resistance here and there, the amp can run HD600s and T1 mkIIs at about half the pot, and maybe a bit excessive at times depending on the track, even with 1000ohm grid stoppers).

Now it’s more like, if the sound pleases me and there isn’t any audible noise or distortion and it does the sound I want, the the numbers won’t really tell me much else honestly. I shouldn’t worry about amps having lower THD and SINAD if they sound excellent to my ears (besides most modern higher end amps tend to not have too many issues there in the audible range, especially if the power supply is built well, or at least to spec).

Not to knock on the THX stuff tho, they’re damn good for the price and stuff like the SP200 are pretty good for people looking for a good SS starting amp that can power their stuff relatively well at a reasonable price.

But numbers don’t really mean much practically speaking, (Like buying the 887 because the 789 has 2 db of distortion and is now worse distortion wise) especially now a days when most good headphone amps don’t have noticeable distortion or noise issues (unless you push them too hard I guess, like HE6 on a Magni), or else everyone would be buying Archel 2.5s due to the low distortion (Also not a bad amp but barely any power for anything current hungry and inefficient, also like the HE6, I mean it’s a bit more than a Watt of output using 6x Gain at 16 ohm, idk about that tho).

Also probably might also get an iHA6 after getting my Phonitor 2 eventually, maybe wait a while tho but I’ve heard good things from it. That, or maybe a Hybrid Amp.

2 Likes

I did some listening last night with the Blon 03 on the Phonitor E. Great Combo! I’ve already returned the RNHP… so couldn’t AB with that one… but ABing with my LGV30 (I know, not a fair comparison)… Quite a noticeable difference in bass definition. Good, very noticeable refinement boost overall. I found it really exciting to listen to. I almost feel like I need to give all the headphones I’ve tried over the past few months another audition on this amp just to see how they sound again… lmao

2 Likes

People sleep on high end amps, say it’s not worth it, you can definitely tell that thx is not endgame lol. Of course get your priorities in order though first

2 Likes

Power conditioners and an audiophile powerline, right? If the blood is bad, the whole system is tainted… or something along those lines.

2 Likes

Whatever works for you I guess lol

Yeah besides THX was a bit too clinical for my tastes, not bad, but not as good as I expected it to be, honestly I felt tubes did more for my headphones, all of which being High Impedance (Getting Argons Though so the Phonitor will help with those).

May need custom feet for the amp tho, can’t let those non-audiophile vibrations into the chassis.

1 Like