SPL Phonitor XE

Wish they had a lilac or lavendar one, the color of purple is a bit too much for me, so it’d be black all they way if I got one.

Wait, no I’m still thinking of gsx mk2, ugh. It’s like this thread has morphed or something.

3 Likes

That’s probably because it has lol, sorry about that

Ye, idk. I’d want a Black Phonitor 2 (Since my amps and my DAC are black) but the one that’s B-Stock is Silver. Beggars can’t be choosers though, especially at like, a 600 dollar discount. Might paint it though, but maybe not since I have no idea how to stencil all the Phonitor labels. well the VUs make up for that though (+ all the other features), and I guess I could just leave the amp I’m making as plain aluminum to match. Still kinda funny that the actual Phonitor xe hasn’t been mentioned by name this entire post (at least doing ctrl-F doesn’t show any other results besides the Title)

So, the Phonitor XE… :laughing:

1 Like

The 2 and the xe are essentially the same thing lol

Also I would be concerned regarding heat if you painted it

1 Like

True, they probably get relatively hot from how they seem to function internally, being class A and all that, the paint might peel off without the appropriate treatment, or maybe insulate the amp too much and cause an overheat if the coating is too thicc (idk what the temp range of the unit is internally though and I also don’t know the metal the case is made of, although probably aluminum or some alloy involving it).

I mean my room gets super duper cold so at least temperature won’t be an issue for the unit if it does need to dissipate larger quantities of heat. Then again, what if it’s too cold and the unit functions better with higher temps ;-;. Oh well I can figure that out when I get it :smiley:

The ‘e’ gets very mildly warm even marathon playing music from it all day… The SP200 got hotter from memory.

2 Likes

Huh, weird, I’d have though the SP200 would be cooler since the THX789 from my recollection never really produced any heat. Then again, it is a smaller package, so I guess the heat dissipation is probably lacking. I guess the 2 being quite a bit larger than the e might produce a bit more heat but also dissipate it with more ease, depends on the placement of the Transistors and any resistors used for heat dissipation specifically.

Yeah, the SP200 can get a bit toasty at some points. It’s both smaller than the 789 and houses the power supply all in one unit. The ‘e’ definitely gets mildly warm, but I think just having all the extra room helps keep it from getting too hot or toasty.

2 Likes

Oh yeah forgot the SP200 has the integrated power supply, makes more sense now where the heat increase may come from.

1 Like

Can you capitalize the XE in the title of this thread Mon?

I did it. Lol Anyone who has regular status can do it I think.

1 Like

LOL thanks. OCD bugging me.

Wow read through this thread. Thing is i really want one of these amps but their so expensive. For only a 15% improvement? idk. I cant believe theres a headphone amp with a headphone preamp lol. And it has a left and right port for single ended. how does that even work? lol. I think i’m still waiting for the next big break in tech at an affordable cost like the THX amps. I dont know how practical that is

1 Like

The nice thing is that typically when you buy a higher end amp, it stays higher end and still holds it’s performance compared to mid-range amps. This is very true in the speaker amp world with power amps and preamps, but with headphones now starting to stabilize in innovation, it’s probably a safe bet that these will still be mighty good in the future

There’s a lot less FOTM in the higher end amp market, good is usually good for a long time.

1 Like

It’s at least as big of a jump as it was going from the schiit Magni/Modi stack to the THX, if that helps any.

Yeah, even with this amp, the older models that came before it still go for quite a bit

But thx to rnhp… Lol

If something is broadly recognized as good, used prices tend to stay pretty constant for a lot of years. Go look at the prices for 90’s Mcintosh…
It’s one of the reasons above a certain price point I’d always prefer used.

I swear people buy McIntosh because they just hold their value so well lol

2 Likes