SPL Phonitor XE

Also something to note, I see preamps with separate power supplies more often than amps and dacs (stupid tidbit of info that just popped into my mind)

1 Like

You know, never really had a preamp, honestly havenā€™t studied up on them enough so I have no idea if theyā€™re meant for like, Headphone amps or Speaker Amps or what, still, weird tidbit of info seeing Preamps with dedicated Power supplies instead of Amps. I guess since Preamps are supposed to be smaller or something? Again, I use headphones and Iā€™ve never needed a Preamp since most of my stuff I either mod to increase power (My Tube Amps) or just buy a damn good solid state and work from there. Also since I also donā€™t own a Turntable, are you talking about Phono-PreAmps or just normal Preamps?

I would guess this is because noise or other things in the preamp would be more noticeable than if it would be in the power amp, so it might make a more noticeable difference to separate the preamp from the power supply

Not talking about a phono pre, but since you mention it they also have separate psu a decent amount too

1 Like

Yeahā€¦ seperate power makes sense for a pre-amp as itā€™s meant to boost a line-level signalā€¦ which you would want as clean as possible, Iā€™d imagine.

1 Like

Preamps are most common in separate component speaker setups with just pure power amps like monoblocks which have no volume control. I have seen people say the preamp actually has the greatest effect on the entire system for a high end setup but I donā€™t buy that (at the moment)

1 Like

Yeah Just googled it, so Preamps are for making amplified signals more stable and reach Line Level, so if the Preamp fails, the amp will sound like crap too. If the Preamp is good, then the Amp will probably have a better time amplifying. Although most mentions seem to be for Power-Amps, not so much stuff for headphones, since buffers are usually used for that, or the amp already has a preamp feature to color/amplify the signal further.

1 Like

Perhaps thatā€™s why the company I am looking at charge as much for their preamps as they do their power ampsā€¦ Man I want that stack but man Iā€™m not willing to drop the dough lol

1 Like

No more cars to sell? =P

1 Like

Unfortunately not, but I may sell my monoblocks and preamp I have now for a profit, which will allow me to invest in some of the used components I am looking at. Also can sell a microphone to cover the extra cost

1 Like

Itā€™s always nice when you can make a small profit on your used gear.

Iā€™ve got the spreadsheet with all the calculations already lol, with buyers lined up if I want to sell, I just have to decide lol. I want to set it all up first and see if Iā€™m pretty satisfied already

1 Like

Hmm, well you can always do the true audiophile thing and forgo Dacs in favor of a pure line signal. I mean, the purer the power the purer the signal, just make sure the power line is Audiophile grade. Less crap in the way messing up the signal? Saddly it can only Produce 60Hz . . . sometimes 50Hz

3 Likes

Not pure enough, I need to connect straight to the source, right as the clean power is being produced before it is touched by anything else. And then add a bit of eq

1 Like

lmao, what do you even hear with that? A slight hum from the power line?

Iā€™m still amazed by that japanese guy who had his own power pole installed.

2 Likes

Damn youā€™re right . . . Ok, Get a spoon, connect that spoon to your headphones, and stand outside during a lightning storm (Iā€™d say Thunderstorm but too much boomy bass for my tastes), eventually youā€™ll get a signal directly from the source. If that doesnā€™t work you can always just shove plutonium at the tip of your jack . . . Sadly it only Plays Imagine Dragons (You Know the Song).

1 Like

Yeah, something about if the blood is dirty or impure then the body as a whole is diseased or something (idk the Translation was weird but I mean as an analogy it kinda makes sense?)? Idk, Audiophiles can get a bit weird sometimes. Just a bit.

1 Like

Iā€™m already going to be running a separate line to the studio so itā€™s isolated from the rest of my house, some cool electrical stuff going on. Also I just realized this is still in the xe thread, so I will now discuss the phonitor 2 lol

1 Like

Red, itā€™s such a cute shade of REDā€¦Must get one of these soonā€¦

Yeah speaking of which Ima go eat, excited when I get the dough for the 2 though, seems like itā€™s going to be a great purchase honestly and a good pairing for my more warm tube amps.

1 Like