SPL Phonitor XE

:thinking:

wow I dislike that phrase

I saw that you’re getting a Hagermann. Will you be posting a thread? I’d love to hear your thoughts/impressions.

Also curious to see thoughts, its a pretty nice amp, and with the zmf, I think it would be pretty great

I was wondering what kind of reactions that would bring forth.

1 Like

Prob pretty true, although I would say solid state amps stop before tubes do. I think the top tier tubes go much higher lol

2 Likes

Um, you have one now.

1 Like

My advice is to get a tube amp to go along with it if you really really wanted to get another amp, but I would suggest you stop on solid states for a fair bit of time lol. Also your dac is next, and after that, another pair of flagship headphones :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Definitely.

Yeah, I was going to do so after I had a lot of extensive time with it. Was gonna try everything I had on it. Only thing I could really compare it to would be the atom I have, since I’ve not owned a tube amp before. It hasn’t even shipped yet and I have no idea when it’ll be finished being made, though. Just waiting patiently on it.

2 Likes

:100: this!!!

I was looking at that as my first tube amp, but that’s quite a ways to go.

1 Like

It’s not as if I could afford a $3k amp right now anyways… lmao. And yeah, I’d rather put money into a DAC or headphones before that now at this point.

You get a 3k amp (or higher) when you have much more in headphones lol (I’m talking a fair bit more)

I’m just going to say that your phonitor e really isn’t going to let you down, so I would stop thinking about solid state amps now lol

3 Likes

Kinda Curious if the Dual Power Supply and differential nature are a reason for the gsx mk2 being better. I mean looking at the pics inside it seems to be relatively easy to follow how the circuit is built and especially with everything on the PCBS being labeled, and pretty neatly built, but not exactly anything out of the ordinary. No special Audiophile or “Boutique” parts to be seen inside. Well that and the higher amounts of power vs other amps too.

Curious to see what would happen if an equivalent power supply was built but simply being a larger singular transformer doing all the work. Would the Audio quality degrade or is it not important as long as the Toroid works with similar parameters as 2?

Or if the Left and Right + and - were built on the same boards and not on 4 different boards. Idk, sometimes just having components being further away and a bit more individualized may aid in how good it sounds (I mean alot of TOTL stuff tends to have their Power Supply in a different box, or at least in a different isolated chassis).

Makes me even more curious if each channel was even further individualized with their own transformer per signal phase, so like, 4 toroids and 4 Power Supplies each split into two different chassis, and maybe even further amp that up by splitting the amp into a distinct left and right side with like, 2 3-Pin XLR connectors for Right and Left with two stereo potentiometers.

Like, Headphone Monoblocks? Wait no . . . Better.
Do Meiosis on the Amp Again, and split it up into 4 amps, each with a phase (R+,R-,L+,L-) Each with a Seperate Power Supply in a Separate Chassis So still 4 Toroidal Power Supplies but like 8 boxes in total, with like, 4 Outputs being Mono 6.3mm Jacks, and like two of each jack forms the Right and Left side with the two phases per side.

Two Mono Blocks for Each Half of the Left and Right Signal with 4 Power Supplies. . . With VU Meters per Phase cuz they look cool.

Oh also noticed that there are Trim-Pots in the Power Supply case, I wonder if you pop it open and play around with them, could you increase Voltage/Current somehow, cuz it’s a bit weird that it has those there instead of a normal resistor or a particular transistor. Maybe They’re Adjusted when being made? Idk seems interesting unless they’re expecting someone to pop it open and play around with it :3

Also looking at the GS-X Mini, for some reason it looks as if though making that one would be a bit tricker yet ti’s cheaper, I guess that board is mostly machine made or something? Idk a bit harder to follow what’s going on, well, more components making it a bit trickier. Still idk, still gonna go with the separate PSU theory for now. Both look great although the GSX-Mk2 Just pleases my eyes more, I guess because I can actually tell what’s going on. Dag Nab Parts Be Too small for meh eyes in the Mini.

I would have gone for the separate power supply option for my overkill dac (it also has some more upgrades) but holy shit that adds a ton extra to the cost (actually that’s the case with all their products it seems lol)

1 Like

Yeah I’m good at figuring out amps, not so much with DACS, they tend to be a bit harder to figure out for me, especially Modern Delta-Sigma and stuff. Still I imagine if it’s an Overkill DAC then either way the Seperate PSU would only make it more Overkilly. Oh Forgot to ask what DAC it is.

Well I wasn’t really ready to pay around 60k USD new for the one with the separate power supply and even more dacs lol

3 Likes

oof that’s alot of 0s

And 6 sets of them!

1 Like

oof 2: Electric Oofaloo

4 Likes