SPL Phonitor XE

Or the vibration damping, audiophile grade weight that goes on top. So much better than a regular weight.

And what’s the point of it’s being fed by a DAC that’s connected via non audiophile grade USB cable?

My Phonitor E arrives today. Amp pron and impressions this afternoon.

4 Likes

Lucky, still saving up just a bit more for the 2, really want to get my hands on it.
Also, what good are audiophile vibration dampeners and audiophile USB when that USB doesn’t have Audiophile Grade Ferrite Chokes on it, and of course the screws on the amp and on the dampeners must be audiophile grade as well.

1 Like

Nice! I’m trying to save for a dac before upgrading to the Phonitor.

1 Like

Which one?

Matrix Audio X-Sabre Pro MQA, Chord Qutest, or RME Adi-2. In order of most desired.

1 Like

I’ll be honest, very hesitant on the Chord stuff. Nothing but good stuff is said about them… but some very odd design choices and their stuff is almost too hyped… if that makes any sense. And a lot of the very positive reviews seem to be coming from people who have never used stand-alone DACs… for example… a lot of the Amazon reviews of the Qutest come from guys using the built in DACs of their CD players.

And I don’t necessarily take Zeos as the end-all be all… but he has been consistent and saying he has a hard time hearing a difference with the Chord stuff… where as he said otherwise with the R2R Gungir multibit.

1 Like

So imo chord stuff is good, but I do think it’s a bit overpriced, but it is pretty impressive. The schiit mb have a noticeable sound signature so that is most likely what he was hearing, where the chord fpga are going for more transparency

4 Likes

Matrix Audio seems to be the better testing of the bunch, but the RME does have some dope features, and I think the newer RME DACs have had their DAC chip slightly upgraded so they may test even better (not Matrix levels but maybe better than normal), don’t quote me on that though.

The EQ features seem really good though and the current price seems pretty good especially if the DAC chip thing is true.

Idk about Chord though, the Qutest seems more affordable than other Chord stuff but no balanced, so idk if the RCAs output 2 Volt or 4 Volt (also no balanced unless you buy a phase splitter, which just makes things a bit messy if not an internal thing, and usually doesn’t sound as good as an actually balanced output). Still I’ve heard good things from this offering, but idk if it’d be a a good idea to stick with it if the Matrix and the RME are also considerations.

Personally I’d either stay with the RME for the features, or go all in for the Matrix. Not to knock Chord though, but it doesn’t have the features of the RME, neither the Balanced Output of the Matrix or even the MQA support. I don’t use MQA so lucky me I guess.

Oh Also, just got the amp stuff in the mail (The main stuff), those 200uf Mundorf Tube Caps for the power supply are HUGE, 65mmD/80mmH, but oddly not as heavy as a smaller 220uf electrolytic. Lower ESR though which helps quite a bit electrically, idk about auditory effects though, but nice to know the caps are built to last.

I have a Rme Adi-2 Fs old gen and it’s amazing. Low noise floor and suberb in everyway. It uses the older akm 4490. I believe the new one will have the akm 4493.

Would 100% recommend.

2 Likes

I’ll more than likely end up with the RME because cost is always a factor. I know that with any of the dacs I’ve listed most any listener would be happy.

Eventually I’d like to own all three or whatever current variation/equivalent exists.

The X-Sabre Pro is my top choice for its deadpan neutrality. I just received a DFC and it’s a very impressive little dac. From what I’ve read, and have been told by a few people that have tried the X-…, it’s the best implementation of an ESS chipset. And it does MQA which I do enjoy.

2 Likes

I could prob agree with this, I was impressed by how matrix audio really maximized the ess chip in the dac

3 Likes

Yeah the Matrix is probably the best testing DAC of the three, but if price is an issue the RME is by no stretch of the imagination a bad DAC, especially having so many features and the IEM output, I could imagine it being a great All-In-One for alot of people.

As just a DAC though the EQ and other features makes it quite tempting, especially with the new 4493 versions (thanks for confirming that dRnrCr). I have the D1 but the features of the RME though are exceedingly good. The Channel imbalance feature seems great for instance for relatively bad recordings/old headphones.

Still if you can get the Matrix then by all means, it’s is the better testing of the bunch, and MQA, although there are programs for that, but having the protocol already in the DAC would logically seem as a better way to decode MQA.

2 Likes

Can you guess which amp is more powerful?

Aerial shot of the RNHP on top of the Phonitor e.

6 Likes

Lol, what do you think of the sound so far?

1 Like

The behemoth on the bottom? :thinking:

1 Like

Oof the Phonitor Hype, wanna get my 2 ;-;.

I think THX is a endgame :unamused:

Live on ignorant then fool

3 Likes

Holy shit LOL

Wow, I hit a soft spot there Mon?

1 Like